Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Catching up with people I went to school with..

Catching up with people I went to school with..

Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Islandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really niceIslandgurl is just really nice
Default Catching up with people I went to school with..

Do you catch up with mates you went to school with?..

I went to an all girls school...

so far I'm the only one that emigrated..

one girl died in a car accident

one has been divorced four times already..(she always had really big boobs, and I was always jealous..)

the rich one ( I used to go over to her manor, I couldn't call it a house because it was so flipping big, so I could ride on her horses) is now living with some ex-druggie person on the dole..

the smart one (she took 12 O-levels, and like 4 A levels) is still in the same home town, never went to university and working in a grocery store,she never married and its rumored she had some kind of nervous breakdown

one was the head girl, apparently had been having it off with the art teacher all the time...they ended up getting married...

one,she was always cunning and nerdy, went off and became a lawyer,returned to our hometown, bought her parents house and put them in a home..

one apparently whacked her husband,after she found out she was having an affair, and is doing time..

and I still get the same question...Why on earth would you leave england?

Last edited by Islandgurl; Feb 28th 2009 at 8:13 am.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 11:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catching up with people I went to school with..

I was just thinking about this a while back. I'm close to 50 and during the past 5 years or so, have been catching up with childhood friends. Some of these friends I have not seen in 30 or 40 years, so it's been really amazing! Just this past weekend, I went to visit my old childhood neighbor from the 1970's. She still lives in Tucson (I'm in Phoenix, about 2 hours away). We had a great time catching up, we agree we both look the same...just older...LOL

I feel like time is turning backward somehow. I lost touch around age 20 with most of my friends at the time....now 20+ years later I'm back in touch with so many of them! I feel like now is the time instead of making a bunch of new friends, I should integrate the old friends back into the mix.

I would say the most surprising one of all, is the email I got from the first boy I ever kissed (on the cheek, at age 9, back in 1969)! Turns out I was his first kiss too, and he lives over in Tucson as well. We've met up for coffee and it has been really fun getting to hear about his life since then!
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

I went to a reunion about 5 years ago and met up with 9 out of my last class that I'd locked up over the years. A great night,no anonymosity but great stories. But I wont be seeing them again. One couldn't make it cos I got him a life sentence !
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:56 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I've been finding loads of people on Facebook and it's been really great. I moved around a lot as a kid (Army brat) and attended a total of 8 schools, so I lost touch with pretty much everyone growing up. (If email had existed back then, maybe things would've been different!) Just this past week I've reconnected with some girls who were good friends of mine in middle/high school, and we've been swapping stories, looking at each other's (grown-up) photos, etc. I even found someone I went to elementary school with back in the early 80s. It's great!

I also just found my first real boyfriend on Facebook, whom I haven't seen since 1987 when he moved from Virginia to Tennessee after 8th grade. He was SUCH a great guy, very sweet and just a wonderful friend, and I always felt bad that I lost touch with him so long ago. I honestly thought I'd never find to him, since I never knew where he went to high school or college (which are very helpful pieces of information to know when searching for someone on Facebook) -- but I found him! We're now Facebook friends and catching up on 20+ years. It's excellent, I love Facebook!

~ Jenney
Old Feb 28th 2009, 5:19 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

I found out quite recent that someone I was friends with when I was about 8 or 9, got heavily into drugs after leaving school, and died of a heroin overdose in a bedsit.
Apart from that, the only people i've kept in touch with from my school days were the ones I was related to, and the one who married one of my cousins. I've been in contact with some more since joining Facebook though. Always funny to see how people turned out, and very often not how you expected them to.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I've been finding loads of people on Facebook and it's been really great. I moved around a lot as a kid (Army brat) and attended a total of 8 schools, so I lost touch with pretty much everyone growing up. (If email had existed back then, maybe things would've been different!) Just this past week I've reconnected with some girls who were good friends of mine in middle/high school, and we've been swapping stories, looking at each other's (grown-up) photos, etc. I even found someone I went to elementary school with back in the early 80s. It's great!

I also just found my first real boyfriend on Facebook, whom I haven't seen since 1987 when he moved from Virginia to Tennessee after 8th grade. He was SUCH a great guy, very sweet and just a wonderful friend, and I always felt bad that I lost touch with him so long ago. I honestly thought I'd never find to him, since I never knew where he went to high school or college (which are very helpful pieces of information to know when searching for someone on Facebook) -- but I found him! We're now Facebook friends and catching up on 20+ years. It's excellent, I love Facebook!

~ Jenney

My son (also an Army Brat) has been contacted by old friends from high school here in GA and also one of his "girl" friends from elementary and junior high in the DODDS school in the Netherlands.

However he and I aren't friends with each other on Facebook because he thinks it's weird to have his mother as a friend on there, Also he says that his political opinons would bother me.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Despite my best efforts a number of my old school "friends" have found me through Facebook recently.

Personally, I have no significant desire to rekindle anything resembling an aquaintance with any of them.

One of the positive points about having made the move over here is that I'm far away from every single one of them.

Not that I have anything to be bitter about. :curse:
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Islandgurl
Do you catch up with mates you went to school with?..

I went to an all girls school...

so far I'm the only one that emigrated..

one girl died in a car accident

one has been divorced four times already..(she always had really big boobs, and I was always jealous..)

the rich one ( I used to go over to her manor, I couldn't call it a house because it was so flipping big, so I could ride on her horses) is now living with some ex-druggie person on the dole..

the smart one (she took 12 O-levels, and like 4 A levels) is still in the same home town, never went to university and working in a grocery store,she never married and its rumored she had some kind of nervous breakdown

one was the head girl, apparently had been having it off with the art teacher all the time...they ended up getting married...

one,she was always cunning and nerdy, went off and became a lawyer,returned to our hometown, bought her parents house and put them in a home..

one apparently whacked her husband,after she found out she was having an affair, and is doing time..

and I still get the same question...Why on earth would you leave england?

I can't say I enjoyed my school years all that much, I don't think I could remember even one name from back then, even if I wanted too. (think I suffer from sometimers,lol) Hubby had 2 best friends all through his school years and kept in touch with them when he joined the AF, I met them when we went to CA, on a trip to introduce me to his folks. (that's a whole other story!) He was happy to see them again, but a little sad that they had nothing in common anymore, don't think he has heard from either of them, more than once in the last 23 years.
I am more than happy to keep in touch with lots of the friends we have made during our travels with the AF, but I have no desire to catch up with any of the people that contributed to the most miserable time in my life!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 10:48 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Last night while looking for a few old classmates, I ran across one- the one I had mentioned on here that came from the family of 14, that I tutored in Shakespeare and she tutored me in algebra. So I send her a FB msg and she confirms. Lo and behold, on her page is pics of she and the POTUS AND Bill and Hilary. Also pics of she and her son attending the inauguaration and the Grits and Granite Ball. I'd say she did okay for a girl from the backwoods of NH.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Despite my best efforts a number of my old school "friends" have found me through Facebook recently.

Personally, I have no significant desire to rekindle anything resembling an aquaintance with any of them.

One of the positive points about having made the move over here is that I'm far away from every single one of them.

Not that I have anything to be bitter about. :curse:
I feel like this as well. I've located a few of my friends on facebook from junior school and am glad to get the occasional update from them but refuse to join any of the "Class of x" groups as I I didn't care then and don't care now. The few that I do keep in contact in I can honestly say were my friends, however, the vast majority, - I don't want to pretend I care about what they're doing or that I enjoyed their company at school. I don't wish them ill but they just play no part in my life. People may change, yes, but I didn't have anything in common with them then and don't want to now.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:54 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I was fortunate to be able to catch up with just about everyone in my high school graduating class in 2006 at our 40th reunion. Some I would not have recognized at all and others were exactly the same. Loved seeing how the Playboy Bunny classmate has added inches, not only to chest, but to the waist and hips. However, she is still the sweetest person I know.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 2:16 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody posted on here, about http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/

I went there to find a lot of people from my class, one with a message for me to contact him. He'd been my best mate until he left at the end of fourth year. I found that my mate from fifth year was dead.

I was surprised that it gave me a lift, it was the happiest day of my life when I left school, that lasted till the day I got out of the army, that was better still.

We were the class of 1950/51/52, depending on whether you were going out to learn a trade, doing GCE (first time for that exam), or doing A levels.

Last edited by paddingtongreen; Mar 3rd 2009 at 2:19 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I don't belong to Facebook etc. and I have no intention of doing so. I'm still in touch with the old friends I got along well with, and frankly I'm not interested in getting in touch with people from high school.

In the spirit of this thread, though, I'll reveal that I just discovered that two of my undergraduate classmates have been done for professional misconduct
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

the best way to pass a few boring hours is google people of the pasts names.!!! I try and stay hidden - Cant say i really need to know. I am having pangs of old age today. Thinking as i look at my naked bod in the mirror.. if i dont get rid of this pudge i am going to die with it. Seems that u get to a time that there is no time to put things off.
The art teacher now that brings back memories. He looked just like the guy out of bay city rollers. I was too flat chested and puney for him to have even noticed me. The girl i sat next to tho she was big boobed blond hair.... i wonder if she had more fun as a kid than i did. I know i had more fun being an adult.
I also remember in my last year there was a girl that was pregnant. I was in awe that someone in school was so "mature" to get preggers. Now i think back and think what a bloody idiot she was..
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:49 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

I've looked up a couple of old friends on Friends Reunited and Facebook met up with one it was like we'd never been seperated, of the others there is one who has my admiration she is a barrister as she always wanted despite getting cancer at 18 and the others have done sweet FA despite all that promise