Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Cashing Travellers cheques in UK

Cashing Travellers cheques in UK

Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:19 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Cashing Travellers cheques in UK

We have just discovered that only banks in UK cash travellers cheques and they now charge a flat rate fee or a percentage.

The Canadian AA office gave us this information and said they don't recommend trav. cheques for that reason.

So no one else will take a trav. cheque? The Cnd AA say take a Visa travel money card which you buy here for $7.95 and use it.

Anyone had any experience of this or found anywhere else other than a bank for changing cheques?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cashing Travellers cheques in UK

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We have just discovered that only banks in UK cash travellers cheques and they now charge a flat rate fee or a percentage.

The Canadian AA office gave us this information and said they don't recommend trav. cheques for that reason.

So no one else will take a trav. cheque? The Cnd AA say take a Visa travel money card which you buy here for $7.95 and use it.

Anyone had any experience of this or found anywhere else other than a bank for changing cheques?
No experience sorry but wondered why you would need to take them with you when you can just draw out money using your ATM card?
Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:31 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Using an ATM card there will be ATM charges of whatever. Could be $3.00 or so a time.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

I recently took out £200 from my US ATM. The charge was $ 4 USD and the amount taken from my US account was $400 USD...I thought that was pretty reasonable considering the charges on the Travellers Cheques or the 10 percent charges that most places will charge you on exchanging cash not to mention the lousy rates.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 8:53 pm
Pamela 1

We were in Cnd AA office this morning and learned more about the visa travel money card. It seems this is the way to go and travellers cheques are not being used because of charges - for UK that is, may be Europe as well.

Anyway, they too said you can use the ATM card. With this visa travel card you put on the amount of money you want and use it over there at an ATM and there is a charge of $3.00 each time. So the idea is to take a good amount out in one go and I think that's they way we'll go. Of course you get the exchange rate of the day but so you would with an ATM.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

shazza1 will become famous soon enoughshazza1 will become famous soon enough

hiya, i went back home last yr and took some travellers cheques i had know problem cashing them in at the local post office with no charge.i also took a debit card to use at atms and shops with me its like a cerdit card except u use only your savings in your account they charge $3.00 each time.hope this helps.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 6:15 pm
Pamela 1

Thank you Shazza1 that is very helpful since we already have 150GBP in travellers cheques, so we'll head to the P.O. We'll be using our card at the ATM machines I think for other cash, and going to get quite a bit here in cash to start us off.

Thanks again.