CARS

Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

paddyjohns will become famous soon enoughpaddyjohns will become famous soon enough
Exclamation CARS

Has anyone taken a car from Australia back to the UK?

I have a newish car, just 1 year old and soon I return back to England. Does anyone know if its correct that when you do so, you have to get the speedometer changed from KPH to MPH. I was just wondering if anyone has already done this and may know the answer.

Any help or answers to this would be a great help.
Thanks,
PADDY
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CARS

Originally Posted by paddyjohns
Has anyone taken a car from Australia back to the UK?

I have a newish car, just 1 year old and soon I return back to England. Does anyone know if its correct that when you do so, you have to get the speedometer changed from KPH to MPH. I was just wondering if anyone has already done this and may know the answer.

Any help or answers to this would be a great help.
Thanks,
PADDY
I bought a lhd Honda Prelude imported into the UK from Saudi. The speedo was in KPH, went through many MOT's no problem
John
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I bought a lhd Honda Prelude imported into the UK from Saudi. The speedo was in KPH, went through many MOT's no problem
John
Hmm.. my understanding is that the speedo's had to read MPH as well as KPH. I remember reading a few years back the the Japanese import crowd would have special speedo stickers made up to go over the original.

It may have slipped through the MOT but the SVA if applicable is a completely different story, they literally go over and under the car with a fine tooth comb.

To the OP, I would look into the situation with SVA tests. I would also see if there's any information on the American Car Import forums. They are always importing cars and may have some information. Also, the kit car guys have to go through Single Vehicle Approval too.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

paddyjohns will become famous soon enoughpaddyjohns will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
Hmm.. my understanding is that the speedo's had to read MPH as well as KPH. I remember reading a few years back the the Japanese import crowd would have special speedo stickers made up to go over the original.

It may have slipped through the MOT but the SVA if applicable is a completely different story, they literally go over and under the car with a fine tooth comb.

To the OP, I would look into the situation with SVA tests. I would also see if there's any information on the American Car Import forums. They are always importing cars and may have some information. Also, the kit car guys have to go through Single Vehicle Approval too.
Thanks a lot for the reply and having done a bit more work on it, I actually called the SVA in UK and your spot on, the car does need to be in MPH. The good news is, as long as it shows MPH as well as KPH it will be OK.

Now in theory, all needed to be change is the actual display, which is in KPH only and replacing it with the same one used in the UK. The actual tripometer which we commonly call a mileometer can be in either Kilometers or Milesm it's the speedo that matters and that must show MPH. I reckon it's a straight swap, replace the paper/thin card wharever with one showing a MPH gauge.
I asked the local Mitsubishi dealer in my area, but they can't do it as "they can't get the parts needed". So I will have to wait until I get back to the UK to get it changed.
Anyhow mate, thanks for the reply and the advice,
Cheers,
PADDY
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot for the reply and having done a bit more work on it, I actually called the SVA in UK and your spot on, the car does need to be in MPH. The good news is, as long as it shows MPH as well as KPH it will be OK.

Now in theory, all needed to be change is the actual display, which is in KPH only and replacing it with the same one used in the UK. The actual tripometer which we commonly call a mileometer can be in either Kilometers or Milesm it's the speedo that matters and that must show MPH. I reckon it's a straight swap, replace the paper/thin card wharever with one showing a MPH gauge.
I asked the local Mitsubishi dealer in my area, but they can't do it as "they can't get the parts needed". So I will have to wait until I get back to the UK to get it changed.
Anyhow mate, thanks for the reply and the advice,
Cheers,
PADDY
See if you can get on some of the Japanese import forums. I don't know if they exist, but I do remember in the past the EVO and WRX guys talking about these stickers that they would put over the speedos.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
See if you can get on some of the Japanese import forums. I don't know if they exist, but I do remember in the past the EVO and WRX guys talking about these stickers that they would put over the speedos.
Great Tip, I will try that. maybe that's what the SVA people issue when they inspect the car?? Thanks again,
Paddy
Old May 1st 2009, 8:40 pm
Tea cup

pown1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering once you've shipped the car over how do you get it to a SVA station???

I assume the car is delivered to your address and then how do you get insurance for the car to drive it to the SVA place because the car isn't legal until you get it approved so does anyone know how it works????

Or do you just drive it to one of these places and take the risk I'm a bit confused

Any advice would be appreciated
Old May 1st 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Great Tip, I will try that. maybe that's what the SVA people issue when they inspect the car?? Thanks again,
Paddy
The SVA people just issue a pass/fail certificate. They won't help with the modifications etc.

I think that if you fail they list out the reasons and then you get a free re-test within a couple of days, etc.
Old May 1st 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pown1976
Just wondering once you've shipped the car over how do you get it to a SVA station???

I assume the car is delivered to your address and then how do you get insurance for the car to drive it to the SVA place because the car isn't legal until you get it approved so does anyone know how it works????

Or do you just drive it to one of these places and take the risk I'm a bit confused

Any advice would be appreciated
In the old days you could get insurance on the chassis number or the VIN. So insurance isn't an issue.

On the registration.. I believe that if you pick up the vehicle from the customs guys at the port, they issue you with a temporary note that would allow you to drive home and to a test center. However, my recollection is that they won't do it unless you can show proof of insurance.

I would try and call a SVA center or customs and see what they say.

I think that I've said it before, the Japanese and US car import guys have dealt with the SVA guys alot as have the kit car guys. So they are a good source of information. Some cars sail through and others are a nightmare. Remember if you don't get the certification, you can't get registration.

I only went through it once many many years ago and swore never again.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dave_Was; May 1st 2009 at 9:23 pm.
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

I'd just like to say thanks to you guys for your interest and help wit this.

As the car is only 1 year old, I am quite confident there should be no big major issues in terms of passing the SVA test. It's a global brand of car (Mitsubishi) and whilst for sure the speedo has to be sorted out, I don't expect too many other problems. I am also E-mailing Mitsubishi UK for help.

I would try and sell the car here in Oz, but at present from what I see at local car lots and read in the motor pages of the local paper, Car prices are on the floor, I would take a real big hit on the car if I sold it. It's costing around £1,000 to ship the car, and as I will have been out of the UK 1 year I do not have to pay V.A.T upon arrival. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea of any other hidden charges? I think I will try and find out about them.

But I will also take your advice and put a post on the American section in the hope that someone there may have a bit of extra info.

Cheers Guy's and good luck with all,
PADDY
Old May 2nd 2009, 8:58 pm
Tea cup

Hi PaddyJohns

We're in Oz (Brissy) what company are you using to ship your car seems quite a good deal. If you find out any further info on the other costs I would appreciate it, we're in the same situation we've got an Audi and I contacted the audi garage here to see if they could do the speedo alteration but the guy never seemed to have much of a clue so will probably have to get it done in the U.K

Haven't had chance to look into things to much at the moment trying to sort the dog out first in between looking after 2 under 2s its insane so any heads up with the car side of things would be a great help

Thanks Pown1976
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pown1976
Hi PaddyJohns

We're in Oz (Brissy) what company are you using to ship your car seems quite a good deal. If you find out any further info on the other costs I would appreciate it, we're in the same situation we've got an Audi and I contacted the Audi garage here to see if they could do the speedo alteration but the guy never seemed to have much of a clue so will probably have to get it done in the U.K

Haven't had chance to look into things to much at the moment trying to sort the dog out first in between looking after 2 under 2s its insane so any heads up with the car side of things would be a great help

Thanks Pown1976
Hi good to hear from you.

The company I'm using for the shipping of the car are called http://www.cargoonline.com.au/ So far I'm at the early stages of sorting this part out and still have to make sure it's all correct, but so far so good. It's a roll on roll off shipping, and I am booking to be received at Southampton which will suit me bettter.

Over the next few weeks I will be speaking with the SVA in the UK to establish the procedure for compliance with whatever they require so that the car is roadworthy and correct for the UK. As for the speedometer I am throwing the ball right at Mitsubishi UK, telling them I want the job done with them so as not to jeapodise any warranty. That makes sense I think. Probably best if you do the same with Audi in the UK.

If you want I will keep the post going as it develops, because maybe it will help people in the future here in Oz who decide to go back and have a car they can't or dont want to sell because they could lose a lot of money on it. I'm sure I will have plenty of fun to come over the next few weeks, Still can't be helped.

Where in Brisbane are you? We are in the West, Jindalee. Also what company are you using to ship your goods home? I'm unsure at present, thinking about Crown, but a lot of worries about their service here in Brissy, a Crown employee told me here, that they sub contract their work out to local removal firms, which I was unaware of and that does concern me. Maybe best to look for an alternative. ANY IDEA'S???
Cheers,
PADDY
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:19 am
Tea cup

Hi Paddyjohns

We haven't had any quotes as yet to ship our stuff back, we are hoping to head back at the end of August I am going to start first with OSS for a quote of which I know a few people on the forum have used and have been happy with, as for Crown we only moved from Brissy to Sydney and they we're not good they damaged a lot of stuff Plasma smashed furniture dinted badly among other things insurance paid up but still I wouldn't recommend them and yes they do franchise out to local firms.

Well I think we will have to contact Audi like you recommended if we here anything that might be of interest re SVA I;ll keep you posted
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

hi I have been following this post too I have a jeep wrangler sport which I would love to take home as I learnt to drive here in oz so I really used to my car now.Did look up something about stickers for the dash-board to change over to kph to mph,im not really up on car things but if you can keep this thread going I can let my husband know.regards z
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:31 am
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light

So did it all go to plan...keen to know the outcome...and costs involved as considering doing the same...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.