Reload this Page >

Care work in London for a portuguese citizen

Care work in London for a portuguese citizen

Old May 18th 2023, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

TOM_1900 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Care work in London for a portuguese citizen

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As you need a sponsoring employer have you seen jobs you can apply for?

YOU can't apply for the visa without a job from a prospective sponsoring employer.
Not yet because I need to figure out first which positions are relevant for me in the field and it appears there's quite a few positions in this sector.
Old May 19th 2023, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TOM_1900
Not yet because I need to figure out first which positions are relevant for me in the field and it appears there's quite a few positions in this sector.

Then the only 'tip' you need is to start applying for those specific jobs if you think you qualify.
Old May 19th 2023, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Then the only 'tip' you need is to start applying for those specific jobs if you think you qualify.
Thank you.

Old May 19th 2023, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

I'm researching On moving to the UK, I understand there's a massive housing crisis in London and there's not really a chance to find a place, let alone finnecie it. So I've been starting to search for the closest cities to London. that will be close enough and affordable. I'm in my late 30's so ill be happy if the place will be suitable for young / single people to, it's important for me to meet people in my age and that it won't be too boring.

Old May 19th 2023, 11:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm researching On moving to the UK, I understand there's a massive housing crisis in London and there's not really a chance to find a place, let alone finnecie it. So I've been starting to search for the closest cities to London. that will be close enough and affordable. I'm in my late 30's so ill be happy if the place will be suitable for young / single people to, it's important for me to meet people in my age and that it won't be too boring.
Does it have to be 'closest cities to London'? The closer you are, the more expensive it will be, and on a care workers salary that isn't a place I'd want to be. How about looking in the north of England or even somewhere like Scotland, and a large town rather than a major city? It would be much cheaper for housing/cost of living.
Old May 19th 2023, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Does it have to be 'closest cities to London'? The closer you are, the more expensive it will be, and on a care workers salary that isn't a place I'd want to be. How about looking in the north of England or even somewhere like Scotland, and a large town rather than a major city? It would be much cheaper for housing/cost of living.
Well. Hence I have only been in London. I have to be honest and say I don't really know other places in the UK, but I really love it and I don't want to be too far from the place where everything happens, and I want a livable place.

Iv'e googled support worker salary and it's about 1750£ monthly, and I have 800£ more that i will be receiving monthly from my country.

So lets say about 2500£ a month will be my budget. What can it get me and where's best for me to go?
Old May 19th 2023, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Well. Hence I have only been in London. I have to be honest and say I don't really know other places in the UK, but I really love it and I don't want to be too far from the place where everything happens, and I want a livable place.

Iv'e googled support worker salary and it's about 1750£ monthly, and I have 800£ more that i will be receiving monthly from my country.

So lets say about 2500£ a month will be my budget. What can it get me and where's best for me to go?
So approx £2000 a month once you've paid tax, NI, etc. For £2000 a month I'd forget anywhere in the south east personally, you'll have a much better quality of life elsewhere. Assuming the old rule of 1/3 on rent, that would give you about £650-700pcm, so have a hunt on Rightmove and see where you can find something that you think you'd be happy living in for that. They have a handy search tool for looking at places within a commute of somewhere, so you could use that to get you started.

Good luck.
Old May 19th 2023, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So approx £2000 a month once you've paid tax, NI, etc. For £2000 a month I'd forget anywhere in the south east personally, you'll have a much better quality of life elsewhere. Assuming the old rule of 1/3 on rent, that would give you about £650-700pcm, so have a hunt on Rightmove and see where you can find something that you think you'd be happy living in for that. They have a handy search tool for looking at places within a commute of somewhere, so you could use that to get you started.

Good luck.

Thanks. Can you give a recommendations on London area’s or other close cities you think will be nice for me? It’s hard to know without personal experience/ locals experience.
Old May 19th 2023, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks. Can you give a recommendations on London area’s or other close cities you think will be nice for me? It’s hard to know without personal experience/ locals experience.
I'd do it the other way around, there's no point in looking at nice cities if you can't afford to live in them. So start with the Rightmove website, work out where you can afford to live, then get a list together of places and start researching those cities - https://where.rightmove.co.uk

Bear in mind transport as if you're a care worker you'll be working shifts so lots of late nights/early starts - so make sure you have good transport links too to where you're likely to be working, or somewhere you can keep a car and can afford parking. On the tool above you can choose how you wish to commute, so you can select public transport to keep costs down (and put a time limit on it, it will then only show you places within that), but don't forget to check when it runs as most isn't 24/7.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 19th 2023 at 12:56 pm.
Old May 19th 2023, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Giving advice as to where to live is all moot if the OP does not get a job first. THAT is the first big task.
Old May 19th 2023, 5:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Giving advice as to where to live is all moot if the OP does not get a job first. THAT is the first big task.
Agreed .... that is advice we often give in the context of someone looking for work in the US that requires finding an employer willing to sponsor a visa - cast your net widely, and be thankful if you can find an employer willing to sponsor a visa, and if that isn't your preferred location you can later work on transferring to a different city, but getting the visa is the first and most critical step.

As jobs in lower-level health care occupations are often brokered by agencies, it might be useful for TOM_1900 to contact agencies in the UK to see if any can help him find employers who will sponsor a visa, or even if a temp agency would sponsor a visa so he can be used as an agency temp.
Old May 22nd 2023, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

As you need a sponsoring employer have you seen jobs you can apply for?

YOU can't apply for the visa without a job from a prospective sponsoring employer.
On it.
Old May 22nd 2023, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed .... that is advice we often give in the context of someone looking for work in the US that requires finding an employer willing to sponsor a visa - cast your net widely, and be thankful if you can find an employer willing to sponsor a visa, and if that isn't your preferred location you can later work on transferring to a different city, but getting the visa is the first and most critical step.

As jobs in lower-level health care occupations are often brokered by agencies, it might be useful for TOM_1900 to contact agencies in the UK to see if any can help him find employers who will sponsor a visa, or even if a temp agency would sponsor a visa so he can be used as an agency temp.
Yes, already did a google search and i understand that "Reed'' is the biggest agency in the UK? Any other recommendations?

Thanks.