British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Care work in London for a portuguese citizen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/care-work-london-portuguese-citizen-948103/)

TOM_1900 May 17th 2023 12:13 pm

Care work in London for a portuguese citizen

Hi lads,

I need your help, I decided to achieve my dream to move into the kingdom. In my country a rehabilitation counselor with 3 years experience (ages 11-30), isn't worth too much in the UK unfortunately so I've started to look on the shortage list. I've found only 1 job that is close to my profession and that is care work. Now, I understand it's a general term and inside that there's few types of work. I wanted to get your help to understand what the options are, I understand at least in one of the jobs you need to wash and clean the elders after using the toilets, that's something I couldn't do but other than that I have no problem with any kind of work. I'm aiming for London only.
I'll be happy to get some info and tips, the visa process should be very short from what ove read due to the big shortage.

I prefer to work with the same ages I've worked before if possible, kids or young adults.

Thanks !

spouse of scouse May 17th 2023 1:13 pm

Re: Care work in London for a portuguese citizen

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13193242)
Hi lads,

I need your help, I decided to achieve my dream to move into the kingdom. In my country a rehabilitation counselor with 3 years experience (ages 11-30), isn't worth too much in the UK unfortunately so I've started to look on the shortage list. I've found only 1 job that is close to my profession and that is care work. Now, I understand it's a general term and inside that there's few types of work. I wanted to get your help to understand what the options are, I understand at least in one of the jobs you need to wash and clean the elders after using the toilets, that's something I couldn't do but other than that I have no problem with any kind of work. I'm aiming for London only.
I'll be happy to get some info and tips, the visa process should be very short from what ove read due to the big shortage.

I prefer to work with the same ages I've worked before if possible, kids or young adults.

Thanks !

Care workers provide direct care to people who have difficulty caring for themselves. In most cases a component of that care will involve personal care, such as assistance with showering, washing and toileting. You can't pick and choose which care needs you will and won't meet.

If you find aspects of direct care work distasteful, then don't become a care worker - and please don't regard people who need a care worker simply as a handy visa opportunity.

TOM_1900 May 17th 2023 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13193254)
Care workers provide direct care to people who have difficulty caring for themselves. In most cases a component of that care will involve personal care, such as assistance with showering, washing and toileting. You can't pick and choose which care needs you will and won't meet.

If you find aspects of direct care work distasteful, then don't become a care worker - and please don't regard people who need a care worker simply as a handy visa opportunity.

That is not my intention whatsoever. Like I’ve wrote, I work in the mental health sector for 3 years and I wish to find something similar In the UK. I have 2 citizenships,Can live and work in many countries, I don’t do it for a visa, I love the UK and I want to donate and be a part of it, and also love my job. Actually applying for a visa is the most hard way I can choose, not the easiest.

SanDiegogirl May 17th 2023 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13193256)
That is not my intention whatsoever. Like I’ve wrote, I work in the mental health sector for 3 years and I wish to find something similar In the UK. I have 2 citizenships,Can live and work in many countries, I don’t do it for a visa, I love the UK and I want to donate and be a part of it, and also love my job. Actually applying for a visa is the most hard way I can choose, not the easiest.

What professional qualification do you hold to work in mental health ?
What education level do you have.
If you are now looking to obtain a work visa, the above are important.

Pulaski May 17th 2023 3:51 pm

The problem you may experience, even if you find a route to achieve your outline plan, is that work in the "medical assistant" field is not highly paid, whereas London is an extremely expensive city to live in.

TOM_1900 May 17th 2023 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13193292)
What professional qualification do you hold to work in mental health ?
What education level do you have.
If you are now looking to obtain a work visa, the above are important.

yes I understand that, I don’t have any qualifications or education. Only 3 years of experience. That is why I can’t do the exact job I did in my country there, but hopefully in the same field.

TOM_1900 May 17th 2023 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13193295)
The problem you may experience, even if you find a route to achieve your outline plan, is that work in the "medical assistant" field is not highly paid, whereas London is an extremely expensive city to live in.

Yes, I know that. I come from one of the most expensive cities and countries in the world, with a low salary, so it’s shouldn’t be any big difference. I’ll save money from advanced.

SanDiegogirl May 17th 2023 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13193297)
yes I understand that, I don’t have any qualifications or education. Only 3 years of experience. That is why I can’t do the exact job I did in my country there, but hopefully in the same field.

I presume you have been looking at the following visa:

https://www.gov.uk/health-care-worker-visa

You need to fulfill the necessary criteria:

Your job

You must meet all of the following requirements to be eligible for a Health and Care Worker visa:
  • you’re a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional
  • your job is eligible for this visa
  • you’ll be working for a UK health and care sector employer that’s been approved by the Home Office
  • you’ll be paid the minimum salary or the ‘going rate’ for the type of work you’ll be doing - whichever is higher

If you have no qualifications or education, only in the field experience, I think you would struggle to get an employer sponsor.
You need a sponsor before applying for the visa. That is your first task.

Pulaski May 17th 2023 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13193299)
Yes, I know that. I come from one of the most expensive cities and countries in the world, with a low salary, so it’s shouldn’t be any big difference. I’ll save money from advanced.

So far you have only shared that you are Portuguese and have two passports, and I'm fairly certain that neither Lisbon nor Portugal rank highly on the respective world's most expensive cities and countries lists.

If you want the widest range of brainstormed help and advice here on BE, full disclosure of your background, history, qualifications, and experience would help you give us what you are looking for. :nod:

That said, as already advised above, without qualifications, you may find that your plans are doomed to fail.

spouse of scouse May 17th 2023 4:55 pm

Tom has shared some of his background and aspirations here
https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi...t-visa-947245/
and here
https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-i...lities-947292/

SanDiegogirl May 17th 2023 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13193304)

I did take a look back at these posts. Without formal qualifications (the OP says his is practical experience) and/or a certain level of education (OP says his is high school level) getting a work visa to the UK is tough; and it needs a sponsoring employer.

Pulaski May 17th 2023 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 13193304)

Thank you for alerting me to this information. :)

ETA. I remember the US visa thread now, so I'll consider my questions above, about background and citizenships to have been answered. :o

Red Eric May 17th 2023 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13193302)
So far you have only shared that you are Portuguese and have two passports, and I'm fairly certain that neither Lisbon nor Portugal rank highly on the respective world's most expensive cities and countries lists.[...]

A study involving 56 large cities has put Lisbon on the same level as some of the largest capitals in the world like Rome and London, and overtaking Paris and Seul, in terms of the cost of living.

The study by the English insurance company CIA Landlord takes into account income, housing and the cost of living.

In the study ‘The Cost of Living Crisis: How big is the gap between outgoings and incomings around the world?’ London ranked as the least financially viable city in the UK but worldwide it came just behind Rome. Lisbon however came third as the least viable city to live in, in the world.
Lisbon is third most costly city to live

TOM_1900 May 17th 2023 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13193315)

Thanks, but I meant Tel aviv, Israel. At least here in articles it’s allways rank first in the world. I’m sure it’s not far from true. Evry big western city is expensive now, it’s a global thing, so you can’t escape that, as long as you don’t live in a small city/ very poor country. Perhaps.

SanDiegogirl May 17th 2023 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by TOM_1900 (Post 13193297)

As you need a sponsoring employer have you seen jobs you can apply for?

YOU can't apply for the visa without a job from a prospective sponsoring employer.