Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car rental / 'car club' Gatwick

Car rental / 'car club' Gatwick

Old Jul 24th 2019, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car rental / 'car club' Gatwick

So, I know this is likely a long shot, but figured i'd ask here before throwing in the towel anyway. I'm going to be in the UK for a few days at the end of August, and my friends and I are interested in renting a car, and i'm the only one with the driving experience/willing to drive on the wrong side of the road. I'm 20 turning 21 in less than 5 months, I understand this probably makes it difficult, though I know technically according to UK law you can rent a car at 17, just most companies only have insurance for 21+ or 23+.

I had heard of people adding younger drivers as an additional driver if the vehicle is being rented by an "adult" renter. Has anyone on here done this and with which company? Or are there any reputable companies out there that rent a car to someone 19 or 20?

I've also seen car clubs, like https://www.enterprisecarclub.co.uk/gb/en/home.html .. the problem here is the daily rates don't apply for young renters (under 22) and the 6 pounds an hour gets a little expensive over 4 days! And the pickup points are nowhere near Gatwick.

Any ideas appreciated. Otherwise going to need to convince my friends we just need to do an airport transfer and call it a day.

Cheers