Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car insurance +US license ???? :)

Car insurance +US license ???? :)

Old Oct 11th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Car insurance +US license ???? :)

We are returning to the UK March 2012 but I have been wondering how to insure our car ?

I am from the UK ,never drove in UK ,no license -but I drive here and hold a US one .

My DH is American (+UK passport holder ) HE never drove in the UK either .

Right lol ,I hope I made that easy to understand ...

My question is : how do we insure our car in the UK ,with US licenses ????

Also ,the DVLC said no problem to my being a Brit and driving for 1 year on my US license ,does anyone have any experience of a situation like mine ?

Thank you all
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:05 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance +US license ???? :)

Google is your friend. For example, typing "insuring uk car with foreign licence" pulled up this link: http://www.superquote.com/foreign-li...al-insurance/:)
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Thank you ,the link didn't work but your suggestion will (I am sure )
Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

ibuk2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

try these guys http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you ,I will call in the morning .
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

MrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: Car insurance +US license ???? :)

Originally Posted by ibuk2010
I wouldn't bother, they claim on the website they will insure/quote with US license, got through to reception said I need quote with US lic, they said they don't insure so they transferred me 3 times to 3 different insurers, they wouldn't quote me direct, ended up getting a quote after being put through to some rude asshole broker in London. There are 3 local brokers down my high street
Old Dec 21st 2010, 4:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Ds went through a broker in town, some USC have had luck with Aviva according to uk-yankees.com
Make sure he has a letter from your US agent saying he's had no claims and a DMV printout wouldn't hurt it shows no tickets.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a USC and DH is a UKC. He never held a UK license either but had a US one (Georgia) when we moved back from the States.

You can drive on your US license for a year.

We went through our local Insurance Broker in the village. DH is the main policy holder and I am the principal driver. DH still has not bothered to get his UK license 5 years after we have returned....I otoh took the UK test and passed on my first go. ......We are still insured under DH's name with me as the principal driver. He has a UK provisional but never drives.......he just backseat drives me crazy

We will probably switch the policy to my name next year.........we only kept it as it is for so long to keep the no claims bonus.

My advice is to go through your local broker. Ours always seems to get a better deal than those comparison sites on line so we continue to stay with him.