Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car insurance on return to UK

Car insurance on return to UK

Old Mar 20th 2023, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Jolico is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance on return to UK

Hi there. I have recently relocated back to U.K. after 7 years in Australia. I made a claim on my car insurance when in Australia. Wondering if anyone can advise whether I need to declare this when taking out a U.K. car insurance policy? I won’t have evidence of any no claims, obviously, but would rather not declare a claim if the U.K. insurance companies can’t check Australian insurance databases. Any advice welcomed! Cheers
Old Mar 20th 2023, 11:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance on return to UK

Hi, welcome to BE.

It will depend on how long ago it was. You'll be asked about claims (not specific to the UK, just any claims made) and they usually go back either 3 or 5 years. So if it was within the timeframe you're asked about, then yes, you'll need to declare it, if not then no worries.

HTH.
Old Mar 21st 2023, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance on return to UK

Originally Posted by Jolico
Hi there. I have recently relocated back to U.K. after 7 years in Australia. I made a claim on my car insurance when in Australia. Wondering if anyone can advise whether I need to declare this when taking out a U.K. car insurance policy? I won’t have evidence of any no claims, obviously, but would rather not declare a claim if the U.K. insurance companies can’t check Australian insurance databases. Any advice welcomed! Cheers
Hi most car insurance companies will want to know about the last 5 years of driving so you should be fine. Do you have insurance at the moment? if not look in a comparison site or phone at least 3 companies up and ask for a quote. We did not have a problem having a no claims bonus after living in Australia I telephoned a few (I like to haggle) and I was asked if I had any claims in The last five years (I said no) and I was offered an insurance with my no claims intact. Good luck