Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car insurance - no claims bonus

Car insurance - no claims bonus

Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance - no claims bonus

Hi all,

Just posting my experience on the off-chance it may be of use to someone.

After my 2 years 10 months in the US, I have returned to the UK. Trying to get car insurance has been interesting due to a) my absence from the UK and b) I've been back less than a month. Comparison websites no use as some companies decline to cover either or both of those circumstances.

One of the companies I called was Direct Line - they insured the last car I had in the UK. Not only was their quote by far the cheapest, but they would honour my old no claims bonus with them. Turns out that they will hold their No Claims for existing customers for three years, provided they have not used it with another company, so just squeaking in their limit.

Confirming the experience elsewhere on this board that Aviva would have insured me at a reasonable cost (still double Direct Line though!) and honoured my US no claims history, but unfortunately I had not obtained a suitable written record of that before my departure from the US.

It feels ridiculously cheap to be going from paying US$700 per 6 months to £193 per year for a bigger, newer car - reverse sticker shock....

Last edited by yellowroom; Aug 26th 2014 at 12:58 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 2:02 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance - no claims bonus

Its interesting how different people can have very different experiences. We were out of the country for 12 years and went through Admiral. They never even asked for proof of the no claims but on the documents it stated that proof of no claims may be asked for in the even of a claim.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 9:58 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Is it me or did the "subscribe to this thread" thing disappear? (and hence my post to ensure I subscribed)
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Is it me or did the "subscribe to this thread" thing disappear? (and hence my post to ensure I subscribed)
On my screen it's up at the top under Thread tools.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 5:22 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
On my screen it's up at the top under Thread tools.
Thanks for that, I'm sure it used to be a visible button and not tucked away into a drop-down.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
Its interesting how different people can have very different experiences. We were out of the country for 12 years and went through Admiral. They never even asked for proof of the no claims but on the documents it stated that proof of no claims may be asked for in the even of a claim.
we had the same expirance as this. wasnt a problem
Old Sep 6th 2014, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at a Ford KA today. horrible things but managed to find insurance for 270 quid for both of us with nil no claims fully comp.
Checked every single car out and this along with the fiat punto 1.1 was the cheapest.

(problem was that none of the companies accept no claims from Uruguay!) bit of bad luck

Not too bad. Just a small car for school runs for my wife for the next 3 months.
I have the big skoda to get to work and paying much more for that! Hopefully the 2nd year will be cheaper.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
be careful with that. It may well invalidate your claim if anything happens. they look for any excuse not to pay out.
I would call them and double check that.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 10:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
Looking at a Ford KA today. horrible things but managed to find insurance for 270 quid for both of us with nil no claims fully comp.
Checked every single car out and this along with the fiat punto 1.1 was the cheapest.

(problem was that none of the companies accept no claims from Uruguay!) bit of bad luck

Not too bad. Just a small car for school runs for my wife for the next 3 months.
I have the big skoda to get to work and paying much more for that! Hopefully the 2nd year will be cheaper.
Was it a problem with your wife only being on a tourist visa at all?
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bloody hell we've just put a deposit on a car, hope we can get insurance.
Old Sep 6th 2014, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Thanks for that, I'm sure it used to be a visible button and not tucked away into a drop-down.
They took away my arcade trophy as well
Old Sep 10th 2014, 4:35 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
be careful with that. It may well invalidate your claim if anything happens. they look for any excuse not to pay out.
I would call them and double check that.
I'm not with you, what may invalidate a claim? We are on our 3rd year of insurance now and with a different company and the no claims has just carried on. The original company never asked to see it which isnt down to us.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Deley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond reputeDeley has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thought my recent experience of car insurance might be of some help??
Recently returned back to the UK after two years away and in my search for car insurance have found that the Co-op insurance would accept a 'no claims discount' which is from within the last 3 years. My no claims discount was just over two years old so great to find an insurance company that accepted three years.
Also Bradford & Bingley would accept 'no claims' discount from overseas.
This is from their website

We currently accept NCD from all countries, however the criteria is as follows:

The date of expiry of the previous Car Insurance must be shown.
The name of the policyholder must be shown.
The amount of NCD in years must be stated. This can be shown using 'from' and 'to' dates.
The claims and accidents history must be confirmed.
The letter must come from a Car Insurance company.
Foreign NCD is only acceptable, when the letter is written in English.
Customers awaiting proof from abroad must supply the proof within 28 days, as do all other customers.

If a customer is having difficulty obtaining the proof they should contact us

Thought my findings might be of some help to someone.
Old Mar 24th 2015, 5:09 am
Democracy advocate

Direct Line website says:

Do you accept No Claim Discount (NCD) earned in a foreign country?
We will only accept proof of NCD from the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland.

Proof of NCD must be:

•Written in English.
•Shown in the number of years and not as a percentage.
•Issued by your previous UK insurer.
Please refer to What do I need to provide as proof of my No Claim Discount (NCD)? for further guidance on what we require.
Sally - who did you use, did they give you any NCD for your time in the US?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.