Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Car insurance no claims......

Car insurance no claims......

Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance no claims......

We've been away for 8 years. I bought a Ford Fiesta last week and received a week's free insurance through Ford. In the interim, I shopped around and ended up sticking with Ford. I'm paying 275 pounds for a year and that includes a little extra for legal coverage, if involved in crash with an uninsured driver. I told them I had no claims while I was in the US and that I was insured with State Farm. I said I could get documentation to show I hadn't made any claims but she seemed all right with what I told her. It's less than I was paying in AZ by a long chalk.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

ccmail321 is an unknown quantity at this point

we had been living in the USA for 7 years and I had a US driving license and my husband had both US and UK. Churchill was happy to insure us both at a good rate and give us our no claims for 7 years that we were in the USA we just had to get our US insurance to write a letter and send it to us. Churchill was willing to insure us at the lower rate and gave us 30 days to provide the letter.

BTW - We are moving overseas again in 2 weeks and still need to sell our VW Golf 1.4 2009 that we purchased in December from the VW dealer near Gatwick. we owe 9850 on it but getting desperate...pm for more details if interested
Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

I'm surprised at this matter as both of us had been overseas for 25 years prior to returning to the UK, however we had no issues with getting insurance for our cars. We choose Churchill and provided them with a letter from our Australian Insurance Company confirming our NCD.

I used comparethemarket.com but there are a number of comparison websites to get the best value for a range of financial services in the UK so try a few.

If all else fails an Insurance broker will get you a decent deal

Good Luck
Old Aug 20th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Hi
So we're back!
Just now starting to get serious on the car purchase.
Because of our time overseas (2.5 years) AA and Swinton have stated we have to start on 0 years no claims. We have 10+ years clean driving.

Anyone got any tips/recommendations?

I went through a broker, which cost me an extra £15 but was well worth it for them to do the ringing around on my behalf as Mrs T is on an Int licence for now. We both had clean records in Oz and full NCB. The broker we went with was HIGOS and they couldn't have been more helful. Got us full NCB and coincidentally we have the same type of car we had in Oz, we live in the sth east and our premiums are cheaper than Sydney! They even got us ocassional business use thrown in for free. Our cover is with Allianz.

I was away for 21yrs!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

karenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant futurekarenD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Hi
So we're back!
Just now starting to get serious on the car purchase.
Because of our time overseas (2.5 years) AA and Swinton have stated we have to start on 0 years no claims. We have 10+ years clean driving.

Anyone got any tips/recommendations?
After 6 years in Aus, we have (eventually) managed to sort out full no-claims with Direct Line back in the UK. It's taken a lot of pestering Australian insurance companies (CommInsure) who wouldn't write a letter 'because it wasn't policy to write letters', and a lot of convincing, but we've finally managed it.
My tip - Keep annoying them. It's amazing how much they waver from 'policy' when you keep asking to speak to the manager.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

Whenever I cancel an insurance policy I request confirmation of NCB. I have proof of NCB certificates for each policy I have held, in UK, Australia and UAE. When we move back to UK I can present the 10+ years NCB with supporting docs from the required insurers.