British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Car Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/car-insurance-919455/)

Tazley Nov 20th 2018 6:17 pm

Car Insurance

15 years away from U.K in U.S and will be returning early next year. My U.K driving license expired in 2011 but I plan to renew once back in situ. I was wondering if any other returnees had experience of dealing with U.K insurance companies in these circumstances and who they used as I will be buying a car on arrival. I am aware that I can drive on my valid U.S license for a period of time but I suspect that U.K insurers may want a larger 'pound of flesh' for me to do so. Any pointers from those who have trodden this path previously would be very much appreciated.

verystormy Nov 21st 2018 4:37 am

Re: Car Insurance

I shopped around on line and there were massive differences in price. You will certainly be better with a uk license. I ended up with a quote for £286 for a Ford Fiesta 1.2 cc.

durham_lad Nov 21st 2018 8:32 am

Be sure to try Aviva when getting quotes as they accept US no claims record. Our son had to use his US DL when he bought a car, and some months later when he passed his test and got a UK licence he said there was a sizable drop in his premiums.

It won't take long (couple of weeks?) to get your UK licence so well worth doing that before buying a car and getting it insured, if you can manage without one that long. We rented a car on my US licence for 2 weeks when we first got back which was all it took to get my licence renewed and find a car to buy.

Tazley Nov 21st 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks for that. Seems sensible to expedite getting my U.K licence reactivated as soon as I can.

Johnboyuk Dec 4th 2018 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Tazley (Post 12596583)
15 years away from U.K in U.S and will be returning early next year. My U.K driving license expired in 2011 but I plan to renew once back in situ. I was wondering if any other returnees had experience of dealing with U.K insurance companies in these circumstances and who they used as I will be buying a car on arrival. I am aware that I can drive on my valid U.S license for a period of time but I suspect that U.K insurers may want a larger 'pound of flesh' for me to do so. Any pointers from those who have trodden this path previously would be very much appreciated.

Try the comparison sites such as Money Supermarket and Go Compare. You need to do this every year anyway because if you go for automatic renewal, you can be sure they will get their pound of flesh.

movingtolakes Dec 11th 2018 10:24 am

I didn't have the same licence issue you have, but, I used NFU mutual and they took into account my driving record in the USA for last 10 years and gave me the no claims bonus (without any proof) - very competitive pricing