British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Car Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/car-insurance-907051/)

Spacecake799 Dec 20th 2017 7:37 pm

Car Insurance
 
Hi, how has anyone got on with car insurance?
My daughters boyfriend is 25 and is from NZ. He has literally just landed in the country. He does have no claims and has been driving maybe 6 years.
We got a quote and it was best part of £1000. Anybody got any ideas how to bring that down?

SanDiegogirl Dec 20th 2017 7:44 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 
Based on his age that quote is not unusual nor particularly high.

He is viewed as a new driver as are all new immigrants, regardless of how long they have driven.

I arrived in 2000, had been driving for 30 years and still got quoted nearly 1,800 per annum for insurance.

It came down as I gained driving experience here.

You just need to keep shopping around.

Spacecake799 Dec 20th 2017 7:54 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12403061)
Based on his age that quote is not unusual nor particularly high.

He is viewed as a new driver as are all new immigrants, regardless of how long they have driven.

I arrived in 2000, had been driving for 30 years and still got quoted nearly 1,800 per annum for insurance.

It came down as I gained driving experience here.

You just need to keep shopping around.


Ok thank you

Ozziechris Dec 28th 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 
That is a high premium for a 25 year old with no claims. Try all the comparison sites for a start. He will be able to get it well under a grand.

Ozziechris Dec 28th 2017 4:17 pm

Re: Car Insurancer
 

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12403061)
Based on his age that quote is not unusual nor particularly high.

He is viewed as a new driver as are all new immigrants, regardless of how long they have driven.

I arrived in 2000, had been driving for 30 years and still got quoted nearly 1,800 per annum for insurance.

It came down as I gained driving experience here.

You just need to keep shopping around.

When we arrived in 2012 with close to 25 years experience and decent no claims I paid around £200 fully comp and wife was a little more. The insurer, Admiral from memory, was gspoy to accept my no claims.

spouse of scouse Dec 28th 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Car Insurancer
 
Aviva accepted our Australian no claims bonus.

Snap Shot Jan 2nd 2018 8:56 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 
We were quoted eye wateringly high premiums for car insurance upon our return from NZ in November 2016. That included a spotless no claims record from NZ.

Didn't understand what this black box/tracker thing on your car provided by insurance companies to monitor your driving habits was to get the premiums down either.

In the end, we described ourselves as what we do for work rather than being unemployed.

Would you let him be a named driver on your policy ?

In the end we got our car insurance from Saga ! (It's your age dear.)

Spacecake799 Jan 3rd 2018 7:13 pm

Re: Car Insurancer
 

Originally Posted by Ozziechris (Post 12406252)
When we arrived in 2012 with close to 25 years experience and decent no claims I paid around £200 fully comp and wife was a little more. The insurer, Admiral from memory, was gspoy to accept my no claims.

Sorry just seen this, I thought it was high. We will shop around.

Spacecake799 Jan 3rd 2018 7:15 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 12409482)
We were quoted eye wateringly high premiums for car insurance upon our return from NZ in November 2016. That included a spotless no claims record from NZ.

Didn't understand what this black box/tracker thing on your car provided by insurance companies to monitor your driving habits was to get the premiums down either.

In the end, we described ourselves as what we do for work rather than being unemployed.

Would you let him be a named driver on your policy ?

In the end we got our car insurance from Saga ! (It's your age dear.)


Thank you for this, we have no problem putting him as a named driver we just think he will be better if he gets his own policy going.
I think we need to shop around some more.

Spacecake799 Jan 3rd 2018 7:16 pm

Re: Car Insurancer
 

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12406575)
Aviva accepted our Australian no claims bonus.

Then we will definitely try them, thank you.

Snap Shot Jan 3rd 2018 7:29 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 12410313)
Thank you for this, we have no problem putting him as a named driver we just think he will be better if he gets his own policy going.
I think we need to shop around some more.


Does he have a British driving licence ? Could he swap his NZ licence for a British licence ? Look into it, my husband did. Which is why he has never sat a British driving test.

Would that help reduce the insurance premium ?

Spacecake799 Jan 3rd 2018 7:51 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 

Originally Posted by Snap Shot (Post 12410326)
Does he have a British driving licence ? Could he swap his NZ licence for a British licence ? Look into it, my husband did. Which is why he has never sat a British driving test.

Would that help reduce the insurance premium ?

I wondered that. How easy is it to swop? Is there some sort of test involved?

MidAtlantic Jan 3rd 2018 8:06 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 12410342)
I wondered that. How easy is it to swop? Is there some sort of test involved?

If he is now resident in the UK he can exchange it.

Check it out here:

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

Spacecake799 Jan 3rd 2018 8:11 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12410349)
If he is now resident in the UK he can exchange it.

Check it out here:

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

Thats very helpful thank you

Spacecake799 Jan 3rd 2018 8:13 pm

Re: Car Insurance
 

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12410349)
If he is now resident in the UK he can exchange it.

Check it out here:

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

He hasnt been resident in the UK for long enough to exchange it just yet but he will do it as soon as he has.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.