Car Insurance

Old Nov 6th 2016, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Insurance

I've just moved home after 16 year in the US. I need to buy a car, so will need auto insurance. I've always kept my UK licence current because I knew at some point I'd return, so that's not an issue. Will UK insurance companies take into account my clean drivers record while I've been in the US, or will I have to start from scratch? I just used the website "compare the market" to get some insurance quotes, and the least expensive one for 12 months was over 1300 pounds, but that was with me checking the option to say that I had no proof of previous no claims. How have other people got on that have moved home? Have you overseas insurance companies been happy to provide evidence of you no claims?

Thanks for any help
Old Nov 6th 2016, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance

There are plenty of UK insurers that will accept overseas proof of no claims, you just have to check individually. As for obtaining the proof of no claims, well I have never heard of an insurance company refusing to do so, it is a perfectly routine request the world over.

I personally didn't bother getting the overseas proof of no claims, so didn't claim it and effectively started from scratch. I initially got a policy with Direct Line for about £400 and then when we bought the second car I cancelled that policy as I could insure both cars for £650 with Admiral.

I just ran a comparethemarket quote on my vehicle. The difference between saying I didn't have a no claims discount versus saying I had ten years obtained overseas was £100. I suspect it is your postcode, your age maybe or choice of vehicle that is pushing up price rather than the no claims thing.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Nov 6th 2016 at 8:15 am.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Applying online is ok if you fit the profile of all the questions.
Otherwise, it will reject your application or inflate your price.
Read this:
Contact Us - Aviva
Old Nov 6th 2016, 10:21 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd read on BE that Aviva was good for returning Brits. Brit husband had been in Australia for 25 years and was on a 60% NCB.

We put the insurance application in, they granted the maximum number of discount years but we had to get a letter from our Australian insurer within 28 days that confirmed the number of years without claim, and that our policy with them had been cancelled. We did that and all was fine.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 11:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'd read on BE that Aviva was good for returning Brits. Brit husband had been in Australia for 25 years and was on a 60% NCB.

We put the insurance application in, they granted the maximum number of discount years but we had to get a letter from our Australian insurer within 28 days that confirmed the number of years without claim, and that our policy with them had been cancelled. We did that and all was fine.
I also went with Aviva for the above reason in part and in other part because they offer a policy which allows for 6 months per year coverage in the rest of the EU (maximum single period 90 days). This suits me fine.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute

When we returned, I had not had a UK car insurance policy for 25 years. For reasons that I have never figured out, it was significantly cheaper to insure the car for myself and my wife (who has a Chinese licence) than for me alone !
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
Applying online is ok if you fit the profile of all the questions.
Otherwise, it will reject your application or inflate your price.
Read this:
Contact Us - Aviva
I had also read that Aviva were quite good about returning residents.

Not sure I really understand the relevance of that particular link. But I agree it is best to phone if there is any doubt. For example I was not sure what to say to the question about how long you had lived in the UK. None of the answers quite fitted the returning ex pat, however after calling they clarified that it was ok for a returning expat to say "from birth".
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

For people 50 years and older, Age UK is good. They have high street branches in many towns.
Car Insurance designed for the over 50s | Age UK
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I had also read that Aviva were quite good about returning residents.

Not sure I really understand the relevance of that particular link. But I agree it is best to phone if there is any doubt. For example I was not sure what to say to the question about how long you had lived in the UK. None of the answers quite fitted the returning ex pat, however after calling they clarified that it was ok for a returning expat to say "from birth".
The link tells you which countries they accept NCBs from.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 5:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
When we returned, I had not had a UK car insurance policy for 25 years. For reasons that I have never figured out, it was significantly cheaper to insure the car for myself and my wife (who has a Chinese licence) than for me alone !
Did you use a broker? I'd always recommend it.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:27 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did you use a broker? I'd always recommend it.
I've called 3 brokers today and none deal with non-UK no-claims, currently trying Aviva
Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

DernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond reputeDernierVirage has a reputation beyond repute

I tried one broker, but it was too expensive. I arranaged directly on line using a price comparison site.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 3:17 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I also want to spend more than 90 days in a row in Europe and am not yet old enough to gain SAGA insurance. Between the >90 days and US no-claims it doesn't look like a runner (well, it looks like an expensive runner).
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

I used a comparison site and ended up paying about 450 for 12 months fully comp.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:27 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I've called 3 brokers today and none deal with non-UK no-claims, currently trying Aviva
i couldn't get anyone to accept my Canadian no claims including Aviva all though they did give me the lowest price..this was back in 2014..i had all my full UK no claims up to 2009 but this counted for nought..apparently as i had been driving on the 'wrong' side of the road for 5 years i was classed as a foreign driver pfff..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.