Car Insurance...

Old May 14th 2014, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

warrend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance, Non-EU Spouse...

Hi there,

I know this topic has been covered (and covered, and covered)... but I haven't found anyone sharing my exact circumstances, or any advice with a solution to my specific issue.

I'm a UK citizen with a UK driving license, and I recently moved back to the UK. My wife is a New Zealander, with a full NZ license.

Whilst we are enduring the 6 months that my wife has to wait before applying for a spouse visa, she is going to join me in the UK on a tourist visa (she arrives this weekend).

However, we can't find a single company who will allow us to have a joint car insurance policy. We hit a brick wall every time it comes to my wife's 'residency status'. Most insurers say they can't help, once they know my wife is on a tourist visa.

I only bought the car yesterday - and it is registered in my name, but not yet insured. Obviously I need to insure it as a matter of urgency, and can't drive it until then. The best I have come up with so far is Direct Line, who will allow my wife 90 days of cover on a policy in my name. However, this isn't really what we're after, as my wife will be in the UK for longer than 90 days.

I've heard that Admiral can offer 120 days on a policy in my name too... but this isn't much use either. It would take us to September, which is when my wife will be leaving. However, she hopes to return in November or December on a spouse visa, and we'd be back at square one. So ideally, we could do with a joint 12 month policy from now.

If anyone has any suggestions, or has experienced anything similar, please share.

Thank you!

Last edited by warrend; May 14th 2014 at 7:17 pm.
Old May 15th 2014, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

warrend is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Insurance...

After several hours on the phone with various companies, I finally found a solution.

elephant.co.uk have agreed to give my wife and I a joint policy. The only 'snag' is that it's a one-time deal and we can't renew the policy unless my wife has a UK license next time. But we can worry about that next year.

Just thought I'd post in case anyone has the same problem and searches the forum in future.

Cheers.