car back to the uk

Old May 19th 2007, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all
Default car back to the uk

hi,does anyone know the procedure for bringing a car from oz to the uk.
i.e. when it arrives at port in uk and you arrange to have container delivered to your door,are you allowed to drive it to garage to have roadworthy test done{can't remember the name}i believe it can't be registered until test is done,so how is it taken to garage unregistered,also, is it better to have fog lamps and speedo changed before i leave oz or have this done in uk, how long does this process take,i plan to book garage in advance so hopefully will minimize time limit.

it's a 2006 rav4 which i will have had for 13mnths by the time i go home so no problems with tax on vehicle.

hopefully road tax in uk will not have gone up too much inlight of the recent changes there on 4by4s
Old May 19th 2007, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: car back to the uk

Originally Posted by fitz
i.e. when it arrives at port in uk and you arrange to have container delivered to your door,are you allowed to drive it to garage to have roadworthy test done{can't remember the name}i believe it can't be registered until test is done,so how is it taken to garage unregistered,also, is it better to have fog lamps and speedo changed before i leave oz or have this done in uk, how long does this process take,i plan to book garage in advance so hopefully will minimize time limit.

it's a 2006 rav4 which i will have had for 13mnths by the time i go home so no problems with tax on vehicle.

hopefully road tax in uk will not have gone up too much inlight of the recent changes there on 4by4s
and how exactly are you going to get your car out of a container when it arrives at your door?? You'll go pick it up and drive it home from the port surely.
Old May 19th 2007, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rushman
and how exactly are you going to get your car out of a container when it arrives at your door?? You'll go pick it up and drive it home from the port surely.

apparently the car goes in first then the household items/furniture behind it.
if what your saying is true my household goods{a lot}would have to be unpacked then packed again once vehicle has been removed.
i've ordered a 40ft container door to door service that's why i expected
the whole container to be delivered to my door,maybe customs do remove car,i don't know?
either way,still have the problem of driving unregistered vehicle on public road.
Old May 19th 2007, 8:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

if what your saying is true my household goods{a lot}would have to be unpacked then packed again once vehicle has been removed.
the whole container to be delivered to my door,maybe customs do remove car,i don't know?
either way,still have the problem of driving unregistered vehicle on public road.
They unload the container, inspect anything they feel needs inspecting and then load into a removal truck. That is what they did when we returned to the UK.
Old May 19th 2007, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
They unload the container, inspect anything they feel needs inspecting and then load into a removal truck. That is what they did when we returned to the UK.
thanks,now i know what to expect.one less of many worries.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

I brought a car from South Africa to the UK. It was a couple of years ago now, so I can't recall all the minute details, but I do remember the removal company brought the car (along with all the other stuff) in their container, and I just drove the car down a ramp out of the container and on to the road outside my new house.

As for MOTs and reregistering, as I recall, it was legal for me to drive it on foreign plates (in my case South African plates) for a certain period, so I was able to drive around, get the car registered onto UK plates and get the MOT. It was all very easy, unlike in South Africa, where such things used to be a nightmare.

Pablo
Old May 19th 2007, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

You can drive it for a certain amount of time with your Oz registraion......how providing you have insurance.

Stupid question but have you actually thought of looking up or contacting the DVLC and asking them?