Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Canadian Moving To England

Canadian Moving To England

Old May 28th 2009, 7:31 am
Just Joined

Linden16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Moving To England

I don't really know if there's much substance to this thread, but I've always had this intense desire to move to England. I don't know why. I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, and have never travelled farther east than Florida. I just have this fascination with the UK. I don't know what I feel this way, but somewhere in the southern half of England is sort of where I imagine going. Maybe London, but I only say that because I don't know too much about many other places. Bristol and Essex stick out for some reason.

If a few people could talk a bit about the culture or experience of living in England, I'd really appreciate that. Any big positives and big negatives to look out for? Maybe someone's lived where I do now and can explain any major differences.

The one thing I'll never learn to love as much as Europeans do is soccer (football). It just feels like a bit of a downgrade from hockey, if you don't mind my saying. I don't know where I'll get my hockey fix, but I suppose I could make sacrifices!

PS. This might seem a bit strange of a question, haha, but how do English girls like Canadian guys? Any guy or girl with that accent over here just gets fawned over like nothing else. Canadian accent intriguing or no, eh? Haha
Old May 28th 2009, 8:02 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Moving To England

Can't comment on the females being attracted to your accent. Most women today require that you had better have a big wallet or big muscles. We live in sad times unfortunately and I work in fashion so I see it all.

But to answer your question, if you go to any new country with an open mind and treat it as an adventure, it should broaden your thinking and your life.
In my opinion, being English but having travelled extensively, there is no place like the UK for beautiful countryside, aged buildings and architecture. Other things are not so nice, the over crowding, roads, pollution and dirty towns and cities as well as a negative press.
But, if you can go with the attitude of looking for the best and leaving the rest, you should notice the rich and diverse culture, the shopping is good and the easy access to the rest of Europe.
Old May 28th 2009, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Linden16
I don't really know if there's much substance to this thread, but I've always had this intense desire to move to England. I don't know why. I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, and have never travelled farther east than Florida. I just have this fascination with the UK. I don't know what I feel this way, but somewhere in the southern half of England is sort of where I imagine going. Maybe London, but I only say that because I don't know too much about many other places. Bristol and Essex stick out for some reason.

If a few people could talk a bit about the culture or experience of living in England, I'd really appreciate that. Any big positives and big negatives to look out for? Maybe someone's lived where I do now and can explain any major differences.

The one thing I'll never learn to love as much as Europeans do is soccer (football). It just feels like a bit of a downgrade from hockey, if you don't mind my saying. I don't know where I'll get my hockey fix, but I suppose I could make sacrifices!

PS. This might seem a bit strange of a question, haha, but how do English girls like Canadian guys? Any guy or girl with that accent over here just gets fawned over like nothing else. Canadian accent intriguing or no, eh? Haha

Do you have your british citizenship or will you just stay on a work visa?

I think moving to UK would be a great experience, especially if you are young and have the travel bug.

good luck!
Old May 28th 2009, 2:06 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its one thing to want to visit...moving there to live without checking it out first seems a bit reckless to me... Best bet is probably a one year working holiday visa (BUNAC/ SWAP), if you qualify and can get one.

Canadian accent most likely mistaken for american....could work either way for you.

Best bet for hockey would be to find a location with a UK league team...that should narrow your options considerably! Better yet learn to appreciate the beautiful game!

Last edited by iaink; May 28th 2009 at 3:33 pm.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

ellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really niceellimere is just really nice

My dad (US citizen, now UK as well) went to London for a holiday in the 70s in his late 20s and fell in love with England (I don't think he even went back to sort out his flat as his rent was already paid up) - he's been in the UK since then. He found that British culture was what he was looking for and where he "fits" and he's lived in NYC, Miami (born and raised) and New Haven, Connecticut - I think he may have lived in a couple of other US cities as well. - However, I should add, his partner at the time never "settled" in the UK the same way he did and returned to the US. Different strokes for different folks and all.

I, however, decided to see what life was like in America (being dual citizen) and having been over since late 08 realise that "my life" is back in the UK. I feel like I'm in suspended animation over here. I know this decision has a lot to do with the locations in America that I'm in but in my heart I am "European" and miss the green fields and grey skies - the UK really does have some amazing countryside if you can get out to see it. *BUT* I am very grateful for having moved over here as I don't have to wake up each morning now when I'm back in the UK thinking "what if I moved to America?" - that to me is priceless.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Last edited by ellimere; May 28th 2009 at 3:34 pm. Reason: sentence added
Old May 28th 2009, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I shouldn't have made it seem like I would simply be uprooting and leaving, I'm a big traveller and had hoped to spend a year in the UK at first as a way of easily accessing the rest of Europe.
Old May 29th 2009, 6:22 pm
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

I'd like to say I know just how you feel

I lived almost all my life in Vancouver and surrounding areas, and I had the very same strong pull to move to England that you describe. Being half British with a passport to match I said "why the hell not", scraped together what little money I had, and hopped a plane to London. I knew no one really, had no safety net, just a dream to follow. My only regret now is that I didn't stay there longer like I should have.

All I can tell you is DO it. Follow your heart. If you have a pull to go there and you can't seem to shake it there is a reason. Make it work and go.

I hope you keep us informed as to how things go for you! Good luck!
Old May 30th 2009, 12:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really know if there's much substance to this thread, but I've always had this intense desire to move to England.
Do you know which visa you might have a chance to qualify for? (if any).
Old May 30th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Turquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud ofTurquoise has much to be proud of

I'm Canadian and moved to the UK almost six years ago to teach. Born and rasied in Edmonton, Alberta but lived the last eight years in Vancouver. Like you, I used to have a fascination with England (and some other European countries). I think it was the history, the castles, quaint villages with their pubs, the lovely countryside with narrow, winding country lanes... well, you get the picture! A romantic at heart, I guess! And these things do exist in England and are lovely... unfortunately, I don't really live anywhere close to any of these things or real life settles in and we don't venture out to these places as much!
I live in outer London (Barking and Dagenham to be exact, where they needed teachers), and, well, my word, feel like I'm a million miles away from the above mentioned things. As someone said, there's the other side also- small houses scrunched together, the litter everywhere (a real shock), overcrowed buses, tubes, and chavs! (If you don't know what a chav is, google it!) We have loads of them around here. I was shocked to see the "estates" - low income housing projects which are dire, which seem to be common.
I was also surprised to learn England has some of the highest rates (some of them the highest) for things like teenage pregnancies (although with the very generous welfare handouts shouldn't be surprised), for teenage sexually transmitted diseases, for binge drinking, for people "on the dole", at the bottom in terms of education and more I can't remember. I found teaching (full time and substitute) somewhat of a challenge here as there are alot of tough schools where you deal with students with really bad behaviour (way worse than Van.) - can see why they had a teaching shortage, in these areas at least!
So, there are the great things about England, as mentioned at the beginning, but like everywhere else, the other side of the coin. I met my husband out here (a south african) and am staying but we are trying to work our way out of London (have you visited any of the areas outside of the center of London?) as we can't afford to buy a decent place and really want out of Barking (we are only a 40 min tube ride or so into the center of London but it's like going to a different planet!) We are trying to work our way further out into Essex.
As for your accent- people may comment on it, may think you're American understandably. Too be honest, here in London at least, there are people from everywhere in the world with every kind of accent so you won't stand out too much.
So, if you come here, your experience will depend on many factors- where you live, your job, standard of living, etc etc.
I have come to appreciate Canada ALOT more since I've moved here- I can't wait to go back to B.C. and drive through the Okanagon! I miss the wide open spaces (although the winters are a pain!).
So, if you come here, realize there are positives and negatives here just like any country and that, as mentioned, your experience will depend on different factors. From reading these boards you'll see alot of Brits who want to go back to the UK and likewise, I've met a lot of Canadians/Americans/Aussies etc out here who want to go home too.
But, maybe give it a go so you don't look back and wonder what if?
Good Luck!
Old May 30th 2009, 8:32 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid that the places that desperately want teachers are rough everywhere. What's the chance of getting a teaching job in a completely different part of the country?

Bev
Old May 31st 2009, 2:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Do you know which visa you might have a chance to qualify for? (if any).
I looked a while ago, I may have to just apply for a student working visa. Both of my parents were born in Canada, though my dad's parents are English. No idea where from though.
Old May 31st 2009, 2:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I looked a while ago, I may have to just apply for a student working visa. Both of my parents were born in Canada, though my dad's parents are English. No idea where from though.
If you have a United Kingdom born grandparent, then the Ancestry Visa should be your obvious solution.

Or, if it turns out you have a grandparent born in Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland, then you would be eligible to register as an Irish citizen. An Irish passport allows permanent residence in Britain with the option to become a British citizen in due course.
Old May 31st 2009, 8:32 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turquoise
I'm Canadian and moved to the UK almost six years ago to teach. Born and rasied in Edmonton, Alberta but lived the last eight years in Vancouver. Like you, I used to have a fascination with England (and some other European countries). I think it was the history, the castles, quaint villages with their pubs, the lovely countryside with narrow, winding country lanes... well, you get the picture! A romantic at heart, I guess! And these things do exist in England and are lovely... unfortunately, I don't really live anywhere close to any of these things or real life settles in and we don't venture out to these places as much!
I live in outer London (Barking and Dagenham to be exact, where they needed teachers), and, well, my word, feel like I'm a million miles away from the above mentioned things. As someone said, there's the other side also- small houses scrunched together, the litter everywhere (a real shock), overcrowed buses, tubes, and chavs! (If you don't know what a chav is, google it!) We have loads of them around here. I was shocked to see the "estates" - low income housing projects which are dire, which seem to be common.
I was also surprised to learn England has some of the highest rates (some of them the highest) for things like teenage pregnancies (although with the very generous welfare handouts shouldn't be surprised), for teenage sexually transmitted diseases, for binge drinking, for people "on the dole", at the bottom in terms of education and more I can't remember. I found teaching (full time and substitute) somewhat of a challenge here as there are alot of tough schools where you deal with students with really bad behaviour (way worse than Van.) - can see why they had a teaching shortage, in these areas at least!
So, there are the great things about England, as mentioned at the beginning, but like everywhere else, the other side of the coin. I met my husband out here (a south african) and am staying but we are trying to work our way out of London (have you visited any of the areas outside of the center of London?) as we can't afford to buy a decent place and really want out of Barking (we are only a 40 min tube ride or so into the center of London but it's like going to a different planet!) We are trying to work our way further out into Essex.
As for your accent- people may comment on it, may think you're American understandably. Too be honest, here in London at least, there are people from everywhere in the world with every kind of accent so you won't stand out too much.
So, if you come here, your experience will depend on many factors- where you live, your job, standard of living, etc etc.
I have come to appreciate Canada ALOT more since I've moved here- I can't wait to go back to B.C. and drive through the Okanagon! I miss the wide open spaces (although the winters are a pain!).
So, if you come here, realize there are positives and negatives here just like any country and that, as mentioned, your experience will depend on different factors. From reading these boards you'll see alot of Brits who want to go back to the UK and likewise, I've met a lot of Canadians/Americans/Aussies etc out here who want to go home too.
Good Luck!

Well done for writing such a frank and honest post. I'm English, going home in a few weeks. I enjoyed reading how you see my country. I know it's difficult being a teacher in today's society. Good for you for having a go and trying your best anyway. Good luck when you go back home.
Old May 31st 2009, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turquoise
Good Luck!
Oh poor you...the only bit of history close to there is Tilbury Fort ...hope you cheer yourself up with trips to Thurrock Lakeside however..nowhere's all bad....by train Barking's only 10-15 minutes into central London surely? Not 40mins....40 mins gets you out to the coast practically. Essex improves the further north you go....
Old May 31st 2009, 11:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, go for it. I'd add that, while there's nothing wrong with the southeast, there are just as interesting (and cheaper!) areas of England elsewhere. Cities like Manchester have similarly exciting opportunities to London, and the countryside all over is just as nice.

But the weather probably is better in the southeast ... so at least one good reason to focus there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.