British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Canadian Citizens moving back to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/canadian-citizens-moving-back-uk-937314/)

luckysue Feb 24th 2021 7:30 pm

Canadian Citizens moving back to UK

We are both now Canadian been in Canada a long time. Both born in England and would like to move back to the UK to be closer to family as we are getting older. Does anyone know if we can just move back or what is involved in the process? Have found some information on Rev Canada website but it is a bit confusing and mostly about paying taxes on capital gains, dispositions etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2021 7:46 pm

Re: Canadian Citizens moving back to UK

Originally Posted by luckysue (Post 12977137)
We are both now Canadian been in Canada a long time. Both born in England and would like to move back to the UK to be closer to family as we are getting older. Does anyone know if we can just move back or what is involved in the process? Have found some information on Rev Canada website but it is a bit confusing and mostly about paying taxes on capital gains, dispositions etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If you’re British citizens then you can move back anytime.

Good luck.

SanDiegogirl Feb 24th 2021 7:46 pm

If you are British citizens (presume you did not relinquish your British citizenship when you obtained Canadian one) you can just move back immediately and become residents - no paperwork needed.
You'll, of course, have all the hassle of setting up again; bank accounts, getting a GP, finding accommodation etc, shipping over furniture etc, sorting out any pensions/investments you leave in Canada.

You will be immediately eligible for NHS as permanent residents,.

luckysue Feb 24th 2021 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12977140)
If you’re British citizens then you can move back anytime.

Good luck.

Thanks, we are both actually Canadian Citizens now..

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2021 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by luckysue (Post 12977160)
Thanks, we are both actually Canadian Citizens now..

But presumably you have dual citizenship, so are still British citizens as well? So as above, you can just move back.

BritInParis Feb 24th 2021 10:45 pm

You’ll only need your British passports.

SanDiegogirl Feb 24th 2021 11:46 pm

[QUOTE=luckysue;12977160]Thanks, we are both actually Canadian Citizens now..[/QUOTE.....

...... but are you also British citizens? i.e you did not relinquish your British Citizenship when you became Canadians?

SanDiegogirl Feb 24th 2021 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12977189)
You’ll only need your British passports.

In another thread Lucky Sue says she has been in Canada since 1966 - so could she have given up her British citizenship when taking Canadian?

As far as I can make out the Canadian Citizenship Act of 1976 was the first time Canada allowed dual citizenship

scilly Feb 25th 2021 2:40 am

We took Canadian citizenship in 1974, and I've assumed since then that we relinquished our British citizenship. Certainly we neve renewed our British passports after that year.

We never had to make any official statement about relinquishing though

SanDiegogirl Feb 25th 2021 5:07 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12977222)
We took Canadian citizenship in 1974, and I've assumed since then that we relinquished our British citizenship. Certainly we neve renewed our British passports after that year.

Interesting.... always understood that one had to officially action a relinquishing of citizenship - it did not just happen by default if one took a second citizenship no matter the country for the second citizenship.

However, as you took Canadian citizenship in 1974, prior to the Canadian 1976 Citizenship act, might mean you lost your British citizenship?

christmasoompa Feb 25th 2021 8:01 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12977199)
In another thread Lucky Sue says she has been in Canada since 1966 - so could she have given up her British citizenship when taking Canadian?

As far as I can make out the Canadian Citizenship Act of 1976 was the first time Canada allowed dual citizenship

That was only really for Canadians though, who acquired citizenship of another country and automatically lost Canadian citizenship (which was then restored under a later Act). Canada couldn't remove a foreign citizenship and my understanding is that migrants generally weren't asked about whether they'd relinquished other citizenships. BiP will correct me if I'm wrong though.

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12977222)

You're still British then AFAIK, if you never renounced your British citizenship or gave it up formally. It's quite a lot of paperwork to give up a citizenship so I'm sure you'd remember if you had!

BritInParis Feb 25th 2021 8:48 am

No foreign government can remove your British citizenship so unless you formally renounced your citizenship with the Home Office after becoming Canadian citizens then you’re still British. You just need to renew your passports:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

durham_lad Feb 25th 2021 10:10 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12977268)
No foreign government can remove your British citizenship so unless you formally renounced your citizenship with the Home Office after becoming Canadian citizens then you’re still British. You just need to renew your passports:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

This is what our son did in 2016 in readiness to move back in 2017. He moved to the USA with us in 1987 when he was 4, became a US citizen in 1998 and after that never bothered to renew his British Passport. Consequently he had to apply as if he was a first timer, requiring long form birth certificate which we applied for and got easily enough, plus we, as his parents, also had to provide our details including our passport numbers. (He was born in 1982 so automatically has citizenship by virtue of parents being British)

BritInParis Feb 25th 2021 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12977294)
This is what our son did in 2016 in readiness to move back in 2017. He moved to the USA with us in 1987 when he was 4, became a US citizen in 1998 and after that never bothered to renew his British Passport. Consequently he had to apply as if he was a first timer, requiring long form birth certificate which we applied for and got easily enough, plus we, as his parents, also had to provide our details including our passport numbers. (He was born in 1982 so automatically has citizenship by virtue of parents being British)

Excellent advice save one minor correction which is if your son was born in the UK in 1982 then he would be British by virtue of his place of birth rather than his parentage.

durham_lad Feb 25th 2021 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12977321)
Excellent advice save one minor correction which is if your son was born in the UK in 1982 then he would be British by virtue of his place of birth rather than his parentage.

True dat :)

We always remember applying for his first passport in 1987, which was a paper application in those days. He was a premature birth, born 6 weeks early at end of November 1982 and on the application there was a point where it said something like, “if born before 1/1/1983 then go to page x”, skipping many pages. My wife said that at least there was some benefit to being rushed into hospital very sick, c-section and all that.