Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Canada/UK. Actual tax comparison

Wikiposts

Canada/UK. Actual tax comparison

Old May 26th 2009, 12:55 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada/UK. Actual tax comparison

I ran some comparison figures as best I could on the web, and it looked to me as if after tax income in the UK and Canada worked out about the same. If I factor in the extras in the UK such as cheap prescriptions and things like physio that are paid for by the National Insurance deduction, it looked as if we'd be ahead. We're not expecting to claim any benefits -- unemployment, child benefit etc.

Am I overlooking anything? Those of you who've gone back, what do you find in fact?

Not that it'll make a difference, but I don't like nasty shocks down the way.

I love the fact that in the UK the price on a package is what you pay at the till. It can come to 15% extra or more here!

In 3 months, should be back in the UK!

Bev
Old May 28th 2009, 7:18 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada/UK. Actual tax comparison

Originally Posted by Bevm
I ran some comparison figures as best I could on the web, and it looked to me as if after tax income in the UK and Canada worked out about the same. If I factor in the extras in the UK such as cheap prescriptions and things like physio that are paid for by the National Insurance deduction, it looked as if we'd be ahead. We're not expecting to claim any benefits -- unemployment, child benefit etc.

Am I overlooking anything? Those of you who've gone back, what do you find in fact?

I love the fact that in the UK the price on a package is what you pay at the till. It can come to 15% extra or more here!

Bev
Best of luck Bev.
Old May 28th 2009, 7:32 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Too hard to say, its very dependent on personal circumstances and deductions.

In Canada all the physio, drugs, dental etc is paid by my employer, so thats not a consideration, and my RRSP contributions bring my overall tax level down way below what I would pay in the UK... Plus we get money from the feds for kids under 6, in addition to child benefit.

On balance my feeling is that for most people overall its close to a wash between the two places (depending on province too of course), but in the UK you pay TV licence fees, more for gas, car road tax is extorstionate and you generally pay more for white goods and cars etc...
Old May 28th 2009, 8:29 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Too hard to say, its very dependent on personal circumstances and deductions.

In Canada all the physio, drugs, dental etc is paid by my employer, so thats not a consideration, and my RRSP contributions bring my overall tax level down way below what I would pay in the UK... Plus we get money from the feds for kids under 6, in addition to child benefit.

On balance my feeling is that for most people overall its close to a wash between the two places (depending on province too of course), but in the UK you pay TV licence fees, more for gas, car road tax is extorstionate and you generally pay more for white goods and cars etc...
Definitely dependent on personal circumstances, iaink, and yes on cars and petrol. But then, as people here point out, it's easier to get by in the UK without driving long distances and most vehicles are a lot more fuel efficient, so again, depends.

Our extra medical coverage doesn't cover all the costs, though. There are deductibles and percentages, and I thought the UK had an RRSP equivalent. Certainly has child benefits. Don't know how they compare, but I thought the UK were higher. Someone here will know.

Don't forget the 13% GST and PST on nearly everything we buy here. That makes a lot of things that seem cheaper actually turn out the same or more. Did a rough comparison on sheets. About 50 pounds at Marks and Spencers. Similar quality at Sears about $105, but with the two taxes it's closer to $120

I do think there are deals on stuff most places here that there maybe aren't in all places in the UK, but the UK has a far better mail order system. IMO.

It'd be good to get other comparisons.

Bev
Old May 28th 2009, 9:05 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the 13% GST and PST on nearly everything we buy here.)
As opposed to the 17% you dont think about in the UK cos its hidden in the price....

Tomatoe, Tomahto
Old May 28th 2009, 9:08 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

As opposed to the 17% you dont think about in the UK cos its hidden in the price....

Tomatoe, Tomahto

Biggest single factor for me would be housing cost...I dont think Id be living too well in the UK on a 5% down mortage paying $600 (£330) a month Of course, thats probably partly true in Vancouver or Toronto too.
Old May 28th 2009, 11:23 am
Just hanging around

Tomatoe, Tomahto
Just as long as you're comparing what you actually pay at the till for things, not the sticker price.

I'm just gathering info. When we were in the UK in March we found some day to day things cheaper and some more expensive, but that it came out to about the same overall. Our relatives over here seem to find things expensive, even at cheaper shops like Zellers.

And yes, housing depends so much on location, and there certainly are cheap and lovely places in Canada away from the cities, but that usually means a long way from much employment.

Bev
Old May 29th 2009, 12:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

And yes, housing depends so much on location, and there certainly are cheap and lovely places in Canada away from the cities, but that usually means a long way from much employment.

Bev
Ah, but you dont need much employment, just enough employment Smaller places have fewer people competing for the available jobs too... In some fields small town canada will likely be a non starter, but not that many.
Old May 29th 2009, 7:54 am
Just hanging around

Ah, but you dont need much employment, just enough employment Smaller places have fewer people competing for the available jobs too... In some fields small town canada will likely be a non starter, but not that many.
Good point.

Bev
Old May 29th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Bev
Bev

I was back in Ontario a year ago and agree it was not really worth buying much as there was little difference in prices I pay back in the UK.

We found little difference in our living costs moving from the Ottawa Valley in Ontario to a village in Oxfordshire. Moved back to England in Autumn 2005.

Out total monthly living costs is around £2000 mark. This includes running 3 cars, mortgage, rates, utility bills, food, insurances, TV/internet.

We reasonably well off I supposes as I earn close to 3 times the average wage in the UK, so we have a good disposal income after covering out living costs.

There some good discount food stores in the UK i.e Netto/ALDI where you can get some good deals. We like all the German cold meats in ALDI. The Zellers brand of clothes is sold by TESCO and you can still by a pair of Jeans for £3 and the same for a T-shirt.

hudd
Old May 29th 2009, 3:47 pm
Just hanging around

Thanks, Hudd. I guess it's working out for you okay, then, to be back?

I just learned today that after retirement age -- 60 for women, 65 for men -- you don't have to pay NI in the UK. That trims a bit, too. I believe in Canada you pay as long as you're earning, but I'm not sure.

Bev
Old May 30th 2009, 7:41 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

We have just had 5 months in UK and also enjoyed the sales tax being included in everything. Back in Ontario I sometimes still forget the sales tax is added on when paying.

We bought a car for the time there and found car insurance 5 times cheaper than here in Ontario. Should say we sold the car on gumtree inside 3 hours before we left! Also not sales tax on used cars.

OH found some trousers in Sainsburys for £8.00 and I bought a very nice sweater during the winter for £6.00. I also found a very nice red leather jacket at a charity shop for £35.00 and was told that new it would be around £300.

We are going back sometime in November for a few more months, it is warmer there than Ontario winters on the south coast. Who knows we might end up there permanently in the next few years.
Old May 30th 2009, 8:28 am
Just hanging around

Thanks for the report, Pamela. Are you the one who went to the Brighton area? How did you like it there?

We thought of buying a car just for the month when we were there and it would probably have not been more expensive, but it just didn't seem practical right then so we went the lazy and expensive route.

Definitely need to get a car quickly when we go back, though. Can you say exactly how you managed the test drive and insurance?

Bev
Old May 31st 2009, 8:18 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Bev, We had no problem with test drive and we did search online for insurance and most of them are much of muchness but we went with The AA. They were one of the best prices.

We were near Bournemouth and found the car through the local paper, but you can check to see if there is anything on gumtree.com.
Old May 31st 2009, 8:25 am
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
Hi Bev, We had no problem with test drive and we did search online for insurance and most of them are much of muchness but we went with The AA. They were one of the best prices.
Thanks. So you were insured for the test drive? I thought someone here said that wasn't possible.

Bev

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.