Reload this Page >

Canada to Northern Ireland (UK) Departure Tax Question

Canada to Northern Ireland (UK) Departure Tax Question

Old Jun 1st 2022, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Dgee is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Canada to Northern Ireland (UK) Departure Tax Question

Good afternoon,

We are planning on heading back home at the end of the month after 10 years in Canada as temporary residents. I am confused about the Departure Tax & my husband's RRSP's.

1) We arrived with 5 suitcases and rented the whole time we lived here. We are returning with the same amount of cases and not shipping anything home. We sold our second hand vehicle at the same price we bought it for and do not have any personal items of high value. We own a property in N.Ireland which we have rented out while we have been here and we will move back into it on our return. We have declared all that and income received on previous tax returns.

Question: Do I need to complete a Departure Tax form and if yes, am I supposed to mail it to them before we leave or do I complete it when doing our 2022 taxes at the end of the tax year. I understand that we both need to complete NR73 and let CRA know of our leaving date.

2). We were considering withdrawing my husband's RRSPS and taking the withdrawal tax hit. We would then wire it to our uk bank account. We understand that we would have to declare it as income on our 2022 Canadian split year tax return. We are open to other suggestions on how best to handle the RRSP situation but have read stories on here about people having to fly back to sort it out and would like the peace of mind of having it all wrapped up.

Question: When declaring the amount as income, do we declare the amount we actually received after withdrawal taxes or the amount before the taxes are applied.

Sorry if these questions have been answered before - I had a big read through lots of posts but was going in circles! Any help is much appreciated. If there is a tax to-do list on here already, please point me towards it. We really want to make sure we leave everything done correctly.
Old Jun 1st 2022, 9:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Canada to Northern Ireland (UK) Departure Tax Question

Take a look at this thread from last year, which covers your RRSP questions.
Old Jun 2nd 2022, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Dgee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Canada to Northern Ireland (UK) Departure Tax Question

Thank you so much, that is appreciated and very helpful. I will wait to hear some advice on the Departure Tax.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada to Northern Ireland (UK) Tax Question

Please, please, please keep us updated on how your move goes. I am all agog.
Am considering such a move myself but.... I was in Northern Ireland last week and the day I flew back to France my mother's patio was white because it was covered in hailstones. I was wearing 3 layers of clothes at one point and that was INSIDE.
First thing I did when I got back to France was to change into shorts.

Old Jun 3rd 2022, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada to Northern Ireland (UK) Tax Question

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Please, please, please keep us updated on how your move goes. I am all agog.
Am considering such a move myself but.... I was in Northern Ireland last week and the day I flew back to France my mother's patio was white because it was covered in hailstones. I was wearing 3 layers of clothes at one point and that was INSIDE.
First thing I did when I got back to France was to change into shorts.
In the 10 years I have been in Ireland, I've only seen hail once. In Germany and France it was more common and I remember driving on the motorway in June when a hailstorm started and several cars crashed in front of me. Last week was great here and and only shorts required:-). In our garden I really do notice what microclimate means and you can sometimes choose if you like the shorts area or jacket area LOL.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada to Northern Ireland (UK) Departure Tax Question

Admittedly, the feeling of well-being that instantly suffused my body on stepping from the plane into the balmy summer air of the tunnel at Charles de Gaulle wore off slightly when I got to the end of said tunnel only to find the narrow entrance into the terminal blocked by a French family discussing Beaudelaire/checking their phones. Maybe I’m wrong but I like to think the Northern Irish - even the ones with dyed-orange skin, strangely whitened teeth and really fat kids - would have had the common sense and courtesy to step aside.

Had my husband been there, he would no doubt have whipped out his trusty Swiss cowbell (which he carries about his person in France at all times) and started ringing it, all the while making loud bleating noises. You sort of have to be very big, rude and Russian to carry this one off, however.
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 2:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Admittedly, the feeling of well-being that instantly suffused my body on stepping from the plane into the balmy summer air of the tunnel at Charles de Gaulle wore off slightly when I got to the end of said tunnel only to find the narrow entrance into the terminal blocked by a French family discussing Beaudelaire/checking their phones. Maybe I’m wrong but I like to think the Northern Irish - even the ones with dyed-orange skin, strangely whitened teeth and really fat kids - would have had the common sense and courtesy to step aside.

Had my husband been there, he would no doubt have whipped out his trusty Swiss cowbell (which he carries about his person in France at all times) and started ringing it, all the while making loud bleating noises. You sort of have to be very big, rude and Russian to carry this one off, however.

Wrong thread?

Wrong planet?

Different reality?
Old Jun 3rd 2022, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Departure tax, hailstones, Kim-Kardashian lookalikes…. If you can’t see how that’s all connected, Pulaski, you’re clearly not Irish.