Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

canada. anything else you would like to add?

canada. anything else you would like to add?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:32 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: canada. anything else you would like to add?

Originally Posted by Bevm
As we're going to be leaving after 30 years, clearly we find something missing.

It's not the climate, as we live in Victoria, which is much like England except with more reliably sunny summers.

It's family and friends to a point, but we're not likely to live close to most of them, and have no "home town" to return to.

There are some things where Canada offers huge advantages. Love to ski not far from where you can live and work? Tick. Want to be able to afford a boat and use it often? Tick. Want true wilderness to hike, canoe, camp, or hunt in? Tick. Want a big suburban house and lot at a reasonable price. In most places, tick.

Also, there is an attitude of more open opportunities in Canada (spilling over from the States, I think) which might help people who come from a situation in Britain where they feel trapped by what's always been, but that restricted thinking is much less common now in the UK. And simply moving to another part of the UK would probably shake things loose.

But, but... Canada does have a lack for many people who've lived elsewhere. It seems unfair to call a whole country bland, especially a country with many fascinating people and achievements, but it's the word that comes to mind.

I rarely meet an expat from Britain who adores Canada. Many speak wistfully of returning "home" with a but. But I can't afford it. But it's not the same. But we couldn't afford a house like this. But the kids and grandkids are here now...

Bev
very nicely put.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 10:35 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
The Island its self is stunning Rae.......But know heart and very unreliable in everyway
Its well worth seeing..... BRIEFLY I have Briefly lived there twice their want be a 3rd time
i looked into moving to victoria briefly as opposed to going back home, climate and the sea being the main draw (once a matelow etc) but even from research on the net and never actually going, it seemed even more remote and cut off than where i am now. this feels stupidly obvious, but do you know what i mean?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 11:18 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i looked into moving to victoria briefly as opposed to going back home, climate and the sea being the main draw (once a matelow etc) but even from research on the net and never actually going, it seemed even more remote and cut off than where i am now. this feels stupidly obvious, but do you know what i mean?
Mmm I'm a sucker for an ocean view And thats what took me back to the Island 30yrs later, after the 1st time, i thought i could hack it the 2nd time. And i have come home for more or less the same reasons,as i did the 1st time............

Victoria is a lovely place to see, very busy, personally i thought Nanaimo was one of the prettiest places i've seen......

I now live in the countryside on the edge of a very small town, not much bigger then a village and its far less remote then either of those 2 places

We bought and lived in a house in nanaimo for 8 mths, one time only was we acknowledge by any of the neighbours and that was because we rescued their bin.

We was decorating our new house here just before xmas, we hadn't even moved in and 3 xmas cards were pushed through the door from the neigbours, welcoming us to the area.......... Its the small things i think that make that very big difference.

Yes i know exactly what you mean...........

The Humber and the English Channel have far more appeal to me now
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I retired here...to Rural Canada, and I love it!!!

Different strokes for different folks....some of the posters on this thread (board?) should perhaps bear that in mind....Canada is far from perfect however, for some of us the pro's far out weigh the con's....

Last edited by macadian; Apr 10th 2009 at 12:54 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 10:51 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian

Different strokes for different folks....some of the posters on this thread (board?) should perhaps bear that in mind....Canada is far from perfect however, for some of us the pro's far out weigh the con's....
Absolutely about different strokes. Where did you retire from, if you don't mind my asking? I think retirement plans are very interesting.

There are some blessed people who live out their retirement where they've always lived before, I'm assuming because it suits them. In England I got together with a friend I've known for over 50 years and was surprised to hear that her father was still alive (he's 96) but even more that he's still living in the house we played in as little kids.

But three friends there are looking at a move now they've retired. Only within the UK, but they think it's time to do something different while they're still young enough to enjoy it.

We've been in Canada for over 30 years, so we're thinking it's time to do something different, too. You're enjoying discovering Canada. We're looking forward to rediscovering Europe.

Bev
Old Apr 11th 2009, 3:53 am
rae
Settled.

you're quite right. the original list was obviously, or at least i hope obviously quite flippant. when you consider the pros and they outweigh the cons considerably, what do you do when you still want to go home?
Old Apr 11th 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
you're quite right. the original list was obviously, or at least i hope obviously quite flippant. when you consider the pros and they outweigh the cons considerably, what do you do when you still want to go home?
In that case, it would seem that Canada does not have what you NEED...rather than simply what you would like....big difference in emphasise I think....
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:45 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

In that case, it would seem that Canada does not have what you NEED...rather than simply what you would like....big difference in emphasise I think....
Canada does have what you Need and what you Want

But being such a big country with such a small population the real probelm is they are very rarely in the same place, unless you have a lot(and I mean a lot) of Money

Or if what you want and what you need is Isolation........
Old Apr 16th 2009, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice

Babsi.......That something you feel that has died in you , does come back eventually but it doesn't happen over night ......
It takes awhile to feel at home at home again........

Its really strange how quickly we stop becoming who we are and adopt another way of living...........

And quite a shock .....when i returned and realised just how drawl i'd become and distant.....It was a struggle blending back in and that was just after 14mths.......
wasn't you only there for 11 month's' thats was like a vacation really San's I dont mean to be offending to you' but it's strange you knew so much in such a short time'
I been here for 15 year's i can relate to Rae
Old Apr 16th 2009, 12:19 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by lalaloubell
wasn't you only there for 11 month's' thats was like a vacation really San's I dont mean to be offending to you' but it's strange you knew so much in such a short time'
i was very much in the camp of you need to be here for a certain amount of time, 1-5yrs and beyond maybe to be sure, to have really given it a go, now i'm not so sure. i hear of people going after 3 months, and others after 10yrs, whats worse? i have no idea, all very personal i think.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

lalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nicelalaloubell is just really nice

Originally Posted by rae
i was very much in the camp of you need to be here for a certain amount of time, 1-5yrs and beyond maybe to be sure, to have really given it a go, now i'm not so sure. i hear of people going after 3 months, and others after 10yrs, whats worse? i have no idea, all very personal i think.
Yes you do need to give it a bit of time to adjust to the culture per say' I was 7 years in Ontario and got used to that' started to feel my feet and think ok~ i can live with this' big change from Wales' But then we moved to Alberta and the change there' was' is' not for me' I am always freezing' and i found the people to be odd on time's no offence to Canadian's in general' There is something missing' you can not rightly put you finger on any thing -in particular mmmmm I alway's thought maybe it was me' But i have heard so many people say the same' It is a personal thought amongst every family that has a different view and reason for leaving
Good Luck Rae What ever you do' i am returning to U.K come what may' eventually
Lalalaloubells
Old Apr 16th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Having driven from one side to the other, and worked in many cities Bland is a very accurate term.
Its like a sanitized cleaned up mini welfare version of the states but with the extremes bits trimed off, and shitty weather throw in
When you compare it with the rest of the G8 nations its really doesn’t have many fascinating people and achievements and could be considered rather irrelevant too

To sum up………… Nice, bland and irrelevant
I'm now in my final 36 hours of living in Canada, so I've certainly been doing a lot of reflecting on this. We've been here close on 4 years and will always have ties here as Montreal is where my wife's parents live. We will certainly be back twice a year for visits.

I can't speak for the rest of canada but Montreal is certainly not bland. Just the politics and language issues in Quebec are "interesting". As a city montreal is great, tonnes of culture, history etc etc, not to mention some of the scenery.. Then again technically Quebec is nearly a separate country anyway. I admit I've grown a certain fondness for the place that I never thought would ever happen.

On the other hand I am really glad to be going back to Blighty, mainly because I can earn a better living over there, and it still feels like home.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:12 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lalaloubell
I was there for 14mths and believe me it was know vacation But then you know that ????

And it was my 2nd stint over there, but you know that too...........

Apart from that i believe i was talking to babsi about how it takes awhile to get back into the UK mode. After living in Canada..........Nothing to do with being in Canada for 14mths or 14yrs....

So friend how are you anyway?????
Old Apr 16th 2009, 4:21 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by rae
Yes Rae ........It is very personal, we all have are own experiences good or bad.........And i dont believe anyone has the right to tell anyone that their feelings are wrong, whether it be 3 mths or 30yrs......

Its all down to being true to yourself ( dont you think)........We all only have one shot at this life.......so why be miserable in one place if you can be happy in another????????
Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

I was there for 14mths and believe me it was know vacation But then you know that ????

And it was my 2nd stint over there, but you know that too...........

Apart from that i believe i was talking to babsi about how it takes awhile to get back into the UK mode. After living in Canada..........Nothing to do with being in Canada for 14mths or 14yrs....

So friend how are you anyway?????
Very Good' I just had an opinion' that's why we are on the forum' It was my opinion' I am not going to say something that sound's like "thats what everyone want's to read" I dont recall you saying that you had spent 14 Month's in Canada' but it's not important' I had an Opinion' No need to send me a "private mail saying what the hell's the matter with you i thought we were friends ~~ I talk to lot's of people on here' everyone just like you has been very helpfull' All had opinions on here" ? All Aquaintances ~ so no need to be rude'
Lalaloubells

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.