Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can You Replace an Old Driving License?

Wikiposts

Can You Replace an Old Driving License?

Old May 31st 2010, 7:00 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can You Replace an Old Driving License?

Both my OH and I had driving licenses in the UK but I have no idea where they are now and we've been gone 20 years. Does anyone know if you can get replacements for lost licenses after such a long time?

Being in the US, we can't just trade in our current licenses for a UK one, and I'd hate to have to take a test after all this time.
Old May 31st 2010, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can You Replace an Old Driving License?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022085
Old Jun 1st 2010, 12:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If the DVLA have kept records, probably.

If not, you're out of luck.

And you probably can't do anything until you have a GB address.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:23 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the information. Much appreciated!
Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Thanks so much for the information. Much appreciated!
Sally, I still have my old paper one, but it has my parents' old address on it. I will have to get a new updated one when I get back. Once I am settled I will have an actual address to give them. Does anyone know, do I have to take a driving test by any chance (would love to avoid that). Or, do I simply just exchange licences to the newer one
Old Jun 1st 2010, 2:36 am
Finally Home!

Apparently we have to take another test if we don't have a UK license. They let Canadians just exchange their license for a UK one, but not Americans for some reason. But if you have a UK license already, I don't see why you'd need to take a test again.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently we have to take another test if we don't have a UK license. They let Canadians just exchange their license for a UK one, but not Americans for some reason. But if you have a UK license already, I don't see why you'd need to take a test again.
That sucks for you, having to take the test. I wonder why it's different between Canada and America, doesn't make any sense
Old Jun 1st 2010, 6:22 am
Finally Home!

I guess they think Canadians are better drivers
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I guess they think Canadians are better drivers
You could be right from what I've seen around here
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:42 am
Just Joined

canadaimmigrant is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to work in the States for 12 months in Colorado. I got a Colorado License, which was piss easy - you had to crash before you fail. That was in 2001 though not sure if it is still like that. When I went back to the UK - Still had my UK paper license and just updated to photo one.

I don't think you have any problems. Contact the DLVA via email. Do you have the driving license number?

Depending on which province in Canada you settle you can do a full exchange on your UK license for a full Canada driving license. They send the UK one back to the DVLA. In Ontario you can do this without a written or driving test. You just need to do an eye test. In other provinces you still need take a test but your experience is taken into account so you still get the full license after passing the driving test.

On returning to the UK just fill in the forms and include your forgien license and they will return your full UK license free of charge. This is the process I used when I return from Canada in 2008. But now I've gone back to Canada again as PR. But might come back to the UK again so I'll apply to get my old license back.

If you didn't do an exchange like the USA and have lost your UK license you can still drive for up to a year in the UK on an forgien license anyway.
If you have lost your UK license just apply for a duplicate license as you have lost the original. No need to take another test.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by canadaimmigrant; Jun 1st 2010 at 8:53 am.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by canadaimmigrant
I used to work in the States for 12 months in Colorado. I got a Colorado License, which was piss easy - you had to crash before you fail. That was in 2001 though not sure if it is still like that. When I went back to the UK - Still had my UK paper license and just updated to photo one.

I don't think you have any problems. Contact the DLVA via email. Do you have the driving license number?

Depending on which province in Canada you settle you can do a full exchange on your UK license for a full Canada driving license. They send the UK one back to the DVLA. In Ontario you can do this without a written or driving test. You just need to do an eye test. In other provinces you still need take a test but your experience is taken into account so you still get the full license after passing the driving test.

On returning to the UK just fill in the forms and include your forgien license and they will return your full UK license free of charge. This is the process I used when I return from Canada in 2008. But now I've gone back to Canada again as PR. But might come back to the UK again so I'll apply to get my old license back.

If you didn't do an exchange like the USA and have lost your UK license you can still drive for up to a year in the UK on an forgien license anyway.
If you have lost your UK license just apply for a duplicate license as you have lost the original. No need to take another test.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, that certainly straightens things out