Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can you open a U.K Bank Account While in Aus?

Can you open a U.K Bank Account While in Aus?

Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Can you open a U.K Bank Account While in Aus?

Hi,

Would just like to find out if there is anyway you can open a Bank Account while living in Aus? we are British Citizens and are hoping to return home in July (08). We closed our bank accounts before we left (daft thing to do..I know that now!!) we have not lived in the U.K for 9 years.....It was so easy to open a bank account here in Aus while we lived in the U.K...when we arrived here we just went into the Commonwealth Bank and there was our money!!!
Any help would be really helpful.
Jackie in Perth W.A
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you open a U.K Bank Account While in Aus?

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,

Would just like to find out if there is anyway you can open a Bank Account while living in Aus? we are British Citizens and are hoping to return home in July (08). We closed our bank accounts before we left (daft thing to do..I know that now!!) we have not lived in the U.K for 9 years.....It was so easy to open a bank account here in Aus while we lived in the U.K...when we arrived here we just went into the Commonwealth Bank and there was our money!!!
Any help would be really helpful.
Jackie in Perth W.A
IM interested to see the answer to this too, From what I can see you have to be on the council tax list or electoral register to get a bank account or at least be resident, I dont know if that is teh same for an offshore account in jersey maybe??
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:25 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I am not 100% sure about getting a UK proper bank account whilst overseas. I think it is possible if you have a sizeable chunk of money to deposit, but i cm back to UK 6 weeks ago under the impression you could not get a current account if you have been away for a long period because you have no credit rating. I proved this wrong when i went to Lloyds TSB. I am happy with it as it gets me a credit score just having it. See this thread i made last week

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480692

Sorry i cant help with overseas one
Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant future

The HSBC Bank are really good. Before returning from the UK from NZ we managed to open an account. Upon returning all our cards and cheque books were ready for us. We did it through the ASB Bank in NZ, they have connections with them.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

willneu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amanda
The HSBC Bank are really good. Before returning from the UK from NZ we managed to open an account. Upon returning all our cards and cheque books were ready for us. We did it through the ASB Bank in NZ, they have connections with them.
You shouldn't require a credit score to get a bank account, as long as you dont want to get any credit. I do know that you can have some issues opening a bank account due to laws to help prevent money laundering however, but if you can use a company to go through to open the account im sure you would be fine. Or you could simply go into your bank when you arrive in "sunny" England!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willneu
You shouldn't require a credit score to get a bank account, as long as you dont want to get any credit. I do know that you can have some issues opening a bank account due to laws to help prevent money laundering however, but if you can use a company to go through to open the account im sure you would be fine. Or you could simply go into your bank when you arrive in "sunny" England!
You can indeed open an account with lloyds tsb offshore accounts it cost 7.50 a month but its free for the first 3 months and it will at least get you started before moving there

http://www.lloydstsb-offshore.com/in...ationalaccount
Old Sep 20th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brits1, don't know if this will help any. But, when I left Scotland I had an Abbey National account (been gone for 20 years) and still have it. They changed the title of my account to a "not ordinarily resident" account seeing I live outside of the country now. When I move back next year it will be changed back to an ordinary account. So, that means I won't have any difficulty with opening an account when I get back (with them anyway). This information might be of some help to others who are thinking of moving overseas from Britain. I would definitely check it out if you want to keep an account in Britain.
This probably doesn't help you, but it seems that many people have good advice already for you on here
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Hi Brits1, don't know if this will help any. But, when I left Scotland I had an Abbey National account (been gone for 20 years) and still have it. They changed the title of my account to a "not ordinarily resident" account seeing I live outside of the country now. When I move back next year it will be changed back to an ordinary account. So, that means I won't have any difficulty with opening an account when I get back (with them anyway). This information might be of some help to others who are thinking of moving overseas from Britain. I would definitely check it out if you want to keep an account in Britain.
This probably doesn't help you, but it seems that many people have good advice already for you on here
My Mum who lives in Ireland has one of those and it has caused her nothing but hassle, she says that Abbey are the worst bank EVER LOL. I remember at xmas they wouldnt let her have any money out as she didnt have her check book with her even though she had phoned and they said she didnt need it.

Just an FYI as I have seen pretty bad customer service out of Abbey first hand.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Can you open a U.K Bank Account While in Aus?

britishvixen21, sorry to hear that about your mother's account woes. Although, I have always had the best of service from them. But, I always had my bank book with me when I deposited/withdrew money when I visited Scotland. No problems for me; they were always very helpful. But, as with all things it might depend on the individual people that she dealt with at the Abbey.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marmalade
britishvixen21, sorry to hear that about your mother's account woes. Although, I have always had the best of service from them. But, I always had my bank book with me when I deposited/withdrew money when I visited Scotland. No problems for me; they were always very helpful. But, as with all things it might depend on the individual people that she dealt with at the Abbey.
True enough it was this chunky lass who looked like she didnt give two flying figs what customer service told her LOL she just wanted to get home!!

and this was the Basildon Essex branch!!! nuff said
Old Sep 21st 2007, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda
Amanda do you know if HSBC have any connections with Banks in Aus?...what I am? I could phone HSBC here and see what they say...thank you to everyone for all your help it is much appreciated as usual. And to Willneu, I cannot wait to be walking into my bank in England and I will not care if it is even raining....just as long as I am there.....and not HERE!!!!

Jackie in somewhere she does not want to be!!!
Thanks again to everyone!!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

shazza1 will become famous soon enoughshazza1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brits1
Amanda do you know if HSBC have any connections with Banks in Aus?...what I am? I could phone HSBC here and see what they say...thank you to everyone for all your help it is much appreciated as usual. And to Willneu, I cannot wait to be walking into my bank in England and I will not care if it is even raining....just as long as I am there.....and not HERE!!!!

Jackie in somewhere she does not want to be!!!
Thanks again to everyone!!
there is a HSBC bank in perth on st georges trc, and also one at garden city booragoon. i am looking into opening an account with them here(oz)as i think it will be easier to open HSBC acc when i get there(uk) and just transfer my money frm oz acc to uk acc just think that might be the best way to go IMO with it all being the same bank also i noticed when i was there last yr that there are quite a few hsbc banks around. check out there website for more info ....
shaz xx
Old Sep 21st 2007, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shazza1
there is a HSBC bank in perth on st georges trc, and also one at garden city booragoon. i am looking into opening an account with them here(oz)as i think it will be easier to open HSBC acc when i get there(uk) and just transfer my money frm oz acc to uk acc just think that might be the best way to go IMO with it all being the same bank also i noticed when i was there last yr that there are quite a few hsbc banks around. check out there website for more info ....
shaz xx
Cheers Shaza, I will pop into Garden City next week...it's not far...I did notice HSBC in the U.K as well. That may be the easier option....plus it will make me feel a lot better to know I am getting somewhere with our move....

Have a nice weekend everyone....

Jackie in............Perth