Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

Originally Posted by dontheturner
My Doctor, in Shawbirch Wellington. What the hell is MBTTUK? dontheturner
It really bugs me when people who should know better spread incorrect information. (I mean your doctor ...)
Old Aug 5th 2010, 6:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
For sure, and that pre-paid certificate is one of the other things I learned whilst snooping around that NHS website.
Not sure if you realise, but my underline was a link, not underline-emphasis.

'Pologies if you already knew that, I just wondered because of your underline-bold response.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 7:39 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not sure if you realise, but my underline was a link, not underline-emphasis. 'Pologies if you already knew that, I just wondered because of your underline-bold response.
Yeppers, I saw that. No prob. My underline was just for emphasis.

Not that I care any underlines at ALL right now - we're sailing to England in 3 more days!!!
Old Aug 5th 2010, 9:00 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by DDL
Yeppers, I saw that. No prob. My underline was just for emphasis.

Not that I care any underlines at ALL right now - we're sailing to England in 3 more days!!!
WAY TO GO!! (Hey, what's a little underline between friends?)
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

It really bugs me when people who should know better spread incorrect information. (I mean your doctor ...)
Sorry! Dunrovin - my Doctor is NOT spreading wrong information. On my clearance from NHS document, it is printed, as are my list of prescription medications.for use by the hospital in Thanland here, and it also bars my wife for 90 days too, from ''free NHS, and other Public funds''.

All the comments on MBTTUK dunrovin, are what they are - Sorry - heresay.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:00 am
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

The Department of Health's own website would appear to confirm that returning residents are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment upon returning to the UK: http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074376 but note that this is guidance only.

In particular:

"Are you taking up or resuming permanent residence in the UK?

Under the current Regulations, anyone who is taking up or resuming permanent residence in the UK is entitled to free National Health Service (NHS) hospital treatment in England."

Do you have a reference for the form that appears to deny NHS coverage for 3 months upon return to the UK?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest that anyone who is unsure about their rights regarding the NHS email them and ask.

I wrote to the NHS a couple of months ago because I wanted to know for sure about free NHS treatment for visitors to the UK...to enable me to answer questions on BE accurately. The reply I received was that it was at the discretion of the doctor/medical practice.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Picnic
The Department of Health's own website would appear to confirm that returning residents are entitled to free NHS hospital treatment upon returning to the UK: [url]NHS) hospital treatment in England."

Do you have a reference for the form that appears to deny NHS coverage for 3 months upon return to the UK?
There is a ref on the form, but it is of no consequence - your reference is much newer, and is dated this year, whereas mine is 2006. THANK YOU. it clarifies the situation, but does qualify it by saying, ''You must prove it is a permanent return'' - which it will be, - at the age of 80, this is far too hot here for me to remain, or consider a return. Again-- Thanks for the reference. dontheturner
Old Aug 6th 2010, 2:23 pm
Ping-ponger

Sorry! Dunrovin - my Doctor is NOT spreading wrong information. On my clearance from NHS document, it is printed, as are my list of prescription medications.for use by the hospital in Thanland here, and it also bars my wife for 90 days too, from ''free NHS, and other Public funds''.

It seems your doctor is in fact spreading incorrect information if he/she is saying categorically that returners have to wait for 3 months before being eligible for free medical treatment - that simply is not correct.

If anything, the NHS is too liberal in providing free NHS healthcare to people who are not residents of the UK (Google this and you'll find several news items on people taking "NHS vacations" to the UK) - and they are not all from the Daily Fail.

Not all MBTTUK posts are hearsay - several of them include links to definitive information (for example, from NHS in this case, or DEFRA for information on the PETS scheme, etc.). I'm not sure why you'd ask the question on BE if you really believe that.

For example, from the following site:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074374

"Anyone who is deemed to be ordinarily resident in the UK is entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. “Ordinarily resident” is a common law concept interpreted by the House of Lords in 1982 as someone who is living lawfully in the United Kingdom voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled."
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

It seems your doctor is in fact spreading incorrect information if he/she is saying categorically that returners have to wait for 3 months before being eligible for free medical treatment - that simply is not correct.

If anything, the NHS is too liberal in providing free NHS healthcare to people who are not residents of the UK (Google this and you'll find several news items on people taking "NHS vacations" to the UK) - and they are not all from the Daily Fail.

Not all MBTTUK posts are hearsay - several of them include links to definitive information (for example, from NHS in this case, or DEFRA for information on the PETS scheme, etc.). I'm not sure why you'd ask the question on BE if you really believe that.

For example, from the following site:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074374

"Anyone who is deemed to be ordinarily resident in the UK is entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. “Ordinarily resident” is a common law concept interpreted by the House of Lords in 1982 as someone who is living lawfully in the United Kingdom voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled."
Good old Dunrovin! If you had read my info, I left UK in 2006, the detail was then possibly correct. My Doctor, was a good friend, both to me, and my late Wife, so I assume it was correct, AT THAT TIME>
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Actually they aren't. This whole forum is full of links to extremely useful, valid, and official information. In some cases the info has been quoted, in some it has just been linked to. People are always advised to check the accuracy of information before making decisions based on it, but to dismiss it all as hearsay is frankly daft. Many posters have found official information through this forum which has helped them out of difficult situations, and thats what we are all here for - to help each other by pointing people in the right direction.

The question of entitlement to NHS care if returning permanently to the UK has come up many many times, and the regulars on here are well versed in the rules that surround it
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi JAJ, I am English born and bred,and aged 80. In November 2007, I came to Thailand, with my Thai Wife, and rented out the detached house, I own in Shropshire. We are returning, in March of next year, and I have continued to pay Income Tax, ever since I left. I have been told categorically, that I will be unable to receive Prescriptions, for at least 90 days, from when I re-enter. Please, do you have your information, in writing? Thank you dontheturner
Hi Don, I was able to get my prescription renewed within the first month, there was no problem. They asked for my last address in UK, which was over 45 years ago and that was that. Saw a Dr. within the first week of being back and the nurse that same week.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:52 pm
Ping-ponger

Good old Dunrovin! If you had read my info, I left UK in 2006, the detail was then possibly correct. My Doctor, was a good friend, both to me, and my late Wife, so I assume it was correct, AT THAT TIME>
Don, I don't know why you resort to sarcasm every time I try to point out correct information.

I give up. You win, you were never incorrect and neither was your doctor (even though I managed to get immediate free NHS treatment when I came back from 23 years overseas - in 2000 AND in 2006).

Good luck getting definitively correct information in future. Just watch out for that hearsay, it might actually be correct every now and then.

Last edited by dunroving; Aug 8th 2010 at 1:15 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

My husband received treatment and prescriptions in 2005 when we returned with no questions asked. So I don't get where the 2006 'ban' is from.

As to the National Insurance Number...........beware..........it took me two years to convince them to give me one after we arrived. The first year I wasn't working so they wouldn't give me one and the second year after I was working they still weren't convinced I was working and needed one. Of course the nice lady who finally gave me one told me that all the other idjuts that had dealt with me before were just that..........idjuts.

Dunroving........I think someone has stuck a 'kick me' sign on your back.........every time I come on this forum lately you are getting sarcasm slung at ya!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scout
My husband received treatment and prescriptions in 2005 when we returned with no questions asked. So I don't get where the 2006 'ban' is from.

As to the National Insurance Number...........beware..........it took me two years to convince them to give me one after we arrived. The first year I wasn't working so they wouldn't give me one and the second year after I was working they still weren't convinced I was working and needed one. Of course the nice lady who finally gave me one told me that all the other idjuts that had dealt with me before were just that..........idjuts.

Dunroving........I think someone has stuck a 'kick me' sign on your back.........every time I come on this forum lately you are getting sarcasm slung at ya!
Again had very little problems getting mine, the only problem was the two week wait for the number to be issued. I was not employed when I applied and recieved mine and I applied the first week after returning after 45 years in Canada where I was taking by parents as a child.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.