Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice
Default Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

Hi

We are in the process of selling our home, and once the deal is finalised I will finally be returning to the UK, with my South African family.

A friend of the family has mentioned a few things which I'd like to find out if these are true or not.

Will we only be covered by NHS after being in the UK for 3months?

Does my South African husband who is coming over on a Settlement Visa (Spouse) need to get a Police Clearance Certificate?

Can you only get a National Insurance Number once you have employment?

Thanks
Audrey
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

This site has pretty much all your questions covered.
If you are a legal resident of the UK you can access the NHS, So if your Dh has a visa or whatever it is he needs he will be eligible too, you can register with the doc when you arrive and in an emergency will be seen in the A&E.
No idea about the Police clearance thing sorry.
You can apply for your national insurance number after being in the county for a day (thats what my son was told, so he went in and did that without having a job)
Depending when you were born your national ins number may be on your birth certificate. (Ds was born abroad) He had lived in UK as a child so had a number in system already, they said it just wasn't activated. So if you are over 22 (his age) I'd tell them you have a number, and want to activate it if you have never worked in the UK, it'll be under your name and date of birth and the last UK address.
I'm sure someone will be along to correct me soon, I'm just giving the info on what has happened with Ds.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
This site has pretty much all your questions covered.
If you are a legal resident of the UK you can access the NHS, So if your Dh has a visa or whatever it is he needs he will be eligible too, you can register with the doc when you arrive and in an emergency will be seen in the A&E.
No idea about the Police clearance thing sorry.
You can apply for your national insurance number after being in the county for a day (thats what my son was told, so he went in and did that without having a job)
Depending when you were born your national ins number may be on your birth certificate. (Ds was born abroad) He had lived in UK as a child so had a number in system already, they said it just wasn't activated. So if you are over 22 (his age) I'd tell them you have a number, and want to activate it if you have never worked in the UK, it'll be under your name and date of birth and the last UK address.
I'm sure someone will be along to correct me soon, I'm just giving the info on what has happened with Ds.
Thanks for your reply Mummy in the foothills.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

1. You can use the NHS as soon as you have established residence.

2. Check http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk - as far as I know they have (incredibly) not established police checking for visa applicants but if not, they should, and probably will in the not too distant future.

3. Searching for employment should be enough.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

I think you only need a police cert if you are declaring criminal offences on your application.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. You can use the NHS as soon as you have established residence.
2. Check http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk - .
Hi JAJ, I am English born and bred,and aged 80. In November 2007, I came to Thailand, with my Thai Wife, and rented out the detached house, I own in Shropshire. We are returning, in March of next year, and I have continued to pay Income Tax, ever since I left. I have been told categorically, that I will be unable to receive Prescriptions, for at least 90 days, from when I re-enter. Please, do you have your information, in writing? Thank you dontheturner
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hi JAJ, I am English born and bred,and aged 80. In November 2007, I came to Thailand, with my Thai Wife, and rented out the detached house, I own in Shropshire. We are returning, in March of next year, and I have continued to pay Income Tax, ever since I left. I have been told categorically, that I will be unable to receive Prescriptions, for at least 90 days, from when I re-enter. Please, do you have your information, in writing? Thank you dontheturner
Don, "told" by whom?

I think if you search on mbttuk, you'll find plenty of threads and links to show whoever told you "categorically" that they are talking bollocks.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:26 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1087.asp...CategoryID=162
Old Aug 4th 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

DDL great link. I have bookmarked for future reference. thanks..
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:03 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by fulwood
DDL great link. I have bookmarked for future reference. thanks..

You're welcome. I'm actually very glad I happened upon this thread because I learned some things I needed to know, as well. My husband has diabetes so it looks like me might qualify for a Medical Exemption Certificate and get his prescriptions (all of them, even the non-diabetes related ones) for free. He's only 50 years old so that will save us a lot until he qualifies for free scripts by age.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 6:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
You're welcome. I'm actually very glad I happened upon this thread because I learned some things I needed to know, as well. My husband has diabetes so it looks like me might qualify for a Medical Exemption Certificate and get his prescriptions (all of them, even the non-diabetes related ones) for free. He's only 50 years old so that will save us a lot until he qualifies for free scripts by age.
Even if you are not eligible for a Medical Exemption Certificate, anyone can buy a pre-paid certificate that covers unlimited prescriptions. In Scotland they are £10 for 4 months, a little more expensive in England, and of course all prescriptions are free in Wales.

All of which are a darn sight cheaper than the States, whatever way you look at it.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:49 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by dunroving
Even if you are not eligible for a Medical Exemption Certificate, anyone can buy a pre-paid certificate that covers unlimited prescriptions. In Scotland they are £10 for 4 months, a little more expensive in England, and of course all prescriptions are free in Wales.

All of which are a darn sight cheaper than the States, whatever way you look at it.

For sure, and that pre-paid certificate is one of the other things I learned whilst snooping around that NHS website.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Don, "told" by whom?

I think if you search on mbttuk, you'll find plenty of threads and links to show whoever told you "categorically" that they are talking bollocks.

I like your sense of humour dunroving.
Old Aug 5th 2010, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Can we use NHS as soon as we return?

Don, "told" by whom?

My Doctor, in Shawbirch Wellington. What the hell is MBTTUK? dontheturner
Old Aug 5th 2010, 2:33 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
What the hell is MBTTUK?
Moving back to the UK – i.e. this forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.