Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can we do it in only 1 month???

Wikiposts

Can we do it in only 1 month???

Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice
Default Can we do it in only 1 month???

Hi just found out yesterday from OH's work that they can't afford to keep him on full time at the moment, so the move home to the UK has come round quicker than we thought, we were looking at moving back end of march but are now looking at beginning of march.

Do you think we can get everything sorted out in time, car sold, items not taking back sold etc etc. Hope we can as very excited about going back, if not a little scared of leaving here for the second time and what with everyone saying how crap it is in the UK at the moment!!!! Or am I just having last minute panic attack!!! Sorry to have been a bit of a jumbled up thread it's just my head is spinning at the moment. Thanks to anyone who replies take care Sue1
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we do it in only 1 month???

Sure you can do it.
Start making lists and putting stuff up for sale ASAP.
I took my time and was done in about 6 weeks. We only shipped a few boxes and some tools. The resat was in suitcases.
It's if you have a house to sell it gets more difficult.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:38 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

Lucky you, going home so soon. Anything is possible. Make lists and just try and stay calm and don't panic. Hope everything works out well for you.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Yes you can do it! We did it in two weeks when my husband was offered a job, admittedly a bit easier for us as we were just coming from spain, but we had a baby and 2 dogs aswell! Regarding things that you want to sell, do you have any trustworthy friends who can help you there? A lot of our stuff didn't sell in time so our friends sold it for us and have paid the money into our spanish account. Also, if you have the time, i did a quick spreadsheet with dates that each thing had to be achieved by, marking things red, orange and green.....i do like my lists!!
Good luck!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:26 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue1
Hi just found out yesterday from OH's work that they can't afford to keep him on full time at the moment, so the move home to the UK has come round quicker than we thought, we were looking at moving back end of march but are now looking at beginning of march.

Do you think we can get everything sorted out in time, car sold, items not taking back sold etc etc. Hope we can as very excited about going back, if not a little scared of leaving here for the second time and what with everyone saying how crap it is in the UK at the moment!!!! Or am I just having last minute panic attack!!! Sorry to have been a bit of a jumbled up thread it's just my head is spinning at the moment. Thanks to anyone who replies take care Sue1
Yeah you can do it Make the lists and tick 'em off as you go.
Easy.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice

Cheers everyone, will get the lists going, keep waking in a bit of a panic but keep taking deep breaths and thinking it will all happen Thanks Sue
Old Jan 29th 2009, 10:25 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers everyone, will get the lists going, keep waking in a bit of a panic but keep taking deep breaths and thinking it will all happen Thanks Sue
You can do it. I think in many ways it's easier to do it fast. We cut through a lot of the dither and doing-things-twice when we just don't have the time to.

Good luck!

Bev
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Erica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really nice

Yes you can! If you gave yourselves six months or even a year to organise it, thats how long it would take. Whats the saying about a task filling the time available to do it in? Anyway we are in a similar situation to you. We have just been offered jobs in the UK and I am leaving Canada on March 9th!
I'm not sure if you are working full time or not but if not its amazing how much organising, phoning movers, packing etc you can do during the day.

Good Luck with the move. I am sure it will all work out fine!

ps I have found a link on Wiki on the Canada forum about things you need to organise when leaving the UK. I think a lot of it applies when leaving other countries too. May help if your brain is feeling jumbled.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Depart...K_to_Canada%29
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. We did it in 10 days (last time we did it). It was frantic at times but somehow we pulled it off. The only thing we didn't do exactly as we hoped was with our pets. They had to go to a pet shipper to sit out their 6 month wait instead of coming with us right away, but as far as getting rid of everything, moving money, booking flights, finding somewhere to stay, arranging hire car at other end, getting rid of cars, shipping and getting the 4 of us plus a pregnant me, 10 days and we were done. Get listing on Craigslist, ebay maybe advertise an estate sale/garage sale to clear everything out and get some cash. Good luck with it all.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the ideas and info, just been looking into flights, just got to take the next step and book!!!! Sue
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the ideas and info, just been looking into flights, just got to take the next step and book!!!! Sue
It all gets very real once those tickets are booked. Can't wait to get to the point where we can book ours
Old Jan 29th 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah gets very real then, you'd think I'd be use to it as this is the second time we've done this and last!!! Just annoyed the flights have gone up about $1700 in less than 2 wks
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:09 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
It all gets very real once those tickets are booked. Can't wait to get to the point where we can book ours
The sooner you book 'em, the cheaper they'll be.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

We have got tickets on hold until thursday (NZ$5800) so unless any cheap ones come before then that is when the tickets will be booked. Got the items on trade me that we want to sell so fingers crossed XXXXXX