Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:52 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

hi all, this is really a vent/must share post more than anything.

we are (kind of) in the early planning stages of moving back to blighty--after 15 years of being in the U.S. We have loved our lives here, and still do, but we're ready to move on and be closer to family. This is not about Britain being "better" than the U.S. for us, but more a case of "now or never."

Anyway, the *plan* was to do this slowly, so we can save and get my U.S. citizenship sorted (and the latter is in process) but I sent out a few job apps, and actually had a bite--for a really good job in my field in Manchester (well paid). I am being interviewed next week (video-conf). to be quite honest, I am sh*tting bricks! i had not anticipated this at all, and it suddenly makes everything seem accelerated. If I was offered this job, I think I would be stupid not to take it. Who knows if it would come up again when the timing is better? Nonetheless, there will be a lot to think about. I really don;t want to move until I get my citizenship confirmed (I don't want to completely burn my bridges, especially with two American sons).

I don't want to be premature or stupid about making plans too soon, I don;t have the job, after all! But at the same time I can't stop the brain spinning with the "what if's?" I am stalking rightmove.co.uk like a nut right now, trying to figure where we would live "If" we moved there. In some ways it would be ideal, because that part of the country is more affordable.

My brother strongly recommends the Bury area (being married to a Rochdale lass himself) and it does look like somewhere that would work. I've got a husband, a seven month old, and a five year old in tow. All American.

So--does anyone know the area or have any insights on where are good places for families with kids in that or the greater manchester area?

Also--if you are on the property ladder in another country, does that good credit rating contribute to being able to get a mortgage in the UK (or would we be first time buyers?)

Finally--any shared experiences or insights would be appreciated. I lurk at this discussion board all the time, and it's a great community. I don't necessarily expect answers, as everyone's experience is different, just needed to sound off!:
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2007, 10:55 pm
  #2  
Life is more than a dream
 
LouiseD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kings Moss, UK - it's a bit like Emmerdale
Posts: 1,389
LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

First of all good luck with the interview - I'm sure you will be fine.

If you will be working in Manchester, don't worry. There are loads of nice places within communting distance to suit every taste and budget - small country/rural villages for a quieter pace of life and larger towns with more going on. Cheshire is a lovely county to consider too. Most regions have good rail links into central Manchester too.

Manchester is a wonderful city - lovely people and great shopping too
LouiseD is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:16 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

Originally Posted by LouiseD
First of all good luck with the interview - I'm sure you will be fine.

If you will be working in Manchester, don't worry. There are loads of nice places within communting distance to suit every taste and budget - small country/rural villages for a quieter pace of life and larger towns with more going on. Cheshire is a lovely county to consider too. Most regions have good rail links into central Manchester too.

Manchester is a wonderful city - lovely people and great shopping too
thanks Louise! my brother says the same thing I love Cheshire myself. (deep sigh)
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:45 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 140
cj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant futurecj23 has a brilliant future
Default Re: can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

Originally Posted by gingajoy
hi all, this is really a vent/must share post more than anything.

we are (kind of) in the early planning stages of moving back to blighty--after 15 years of being in the U.S. We have loved our lives here, and still do, but we're ready to move on and be closer to family. This is not about Britain being "better" than the U.S. for us, but more a case of "now or never."

Anyway, the *plan* was to do this slowly, so we can save and get my U.S. citizenship sorted (and the latter is in process) but I sent out a few job apps, and actually had a bite--for a really good job in my field in Manchester (well paid). I am being interviewed next week (video-conf). to be quite honest, I am sh*tting bricks! i had not anticipated this at all, and it suddenly makes everything seem accelerated. If I was offered this job, I think I would be stupid not to take it. Who knows if it would come up again when the timing is better? Nonetheless, there will be a lot to think about. I really don;t want to move until I get my citizenship confirmed (I don't want to completely burn my bridges, especially with two American sons).

I don't want to be premature or stupid about making plans too soon, I don;t have the job, after all! But at the same time I can't stop the brain spinning with the "what if's?" I am stalking rightmove.co.uk like a nut right now, trying to figure where we would live "If" we moved there. In some ways it would be ideal, because that part of the country is more affordable.

My brother strongly recommends the Bury area (being married to a Rochdale lass himself) and it does look like somewhere that would work. I've got a husband, a seven month old, and a five year old in tow. All American.

So--does anyone know the area or have any insights on where are good places for families with kids in that or the greater manchester area?

Also--if you are on the property ladder in another country, does that good credit rating contribute to being able to get a mortgage in the UK (or would we be first time buyers?)

Finally--any shared experiences or insights would be appreciated. I lurk at this discussion board all the time, and it's a great community. I don't necessarily expect answers, as everyone's experience is different, just needed to sound off!:


Hi, I was born in Bury and moved down to Essex when I was 11 and until we moved to Australia last year made a couple of trips up to Bury every year to visit relatives. Still love the place and its not far to travel before you are in the countryside. Lots of nice places to visit around there. Find more people (strangers) talk to you in Bury than where I lived in Essex. Good luck with what you decide.

Cath
cj23 is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:54 am
  #5  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

Originally Posted by gingajoy
we are (kind of) in the early planning stages of moving back to blighty--after 15 years of being in the U.S. We have loved our lives here, and still do, but we're ready to move on and be closer to family. This is not about Britain being "better" than the U.S. for us, but more a case of "now or never."

Anyway, the *plan* was to do this slowly, so we can save and get my U.S. citizenship sorted (and the latter is in process) but I sent out a few job apps, and actually had a bite--for a really good job in my field in Manchester (well paid). I am being interviewed next week (video-conf). to be quite honest, I am sh*tting bricks! i had not anticipated this at all, and it suddenly makes everything seem accelerated. If I was offered this job, I think I would be stupid not to take it. Who knows if it would come up again when the timing is better? Nonetheless, there will be a lot to think about. I really don;t want to move until I get my citizenship confirmed (I don't want to completely burn my bridges, especially with two American sons).
I would just suggest you be careful before you consider abandoning your American citizenship application in favour of a job. The job is likely to be a less permanent aspect of your life than American citizenship (or lack of it).
JAJ is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:05 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Kath & Graham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Joondalup Perth WA
Posts: 1,060
Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

Seems to be a lot of emplyoment coming up North, Im also a Kent girl looking (maybe ) to relocate up North!!! Whereabouts from Kent are you originally??
Kath & Graham is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:15 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Seems to be a lot of emplyoment coming up North, Im also a Kent girl looking (maybe ) to relocate up North!!! Whereabouts from Kent are you originally??
Originally from Canterbury area. I lived in Walmer (near Dover) for a while, and then Bekesbourne (village where Howlett's Zoo is).

Yes--North is beckoning us, mainly because we'll be starting from scratch on the proprty ladder, and it seems a more affordable place to live. Manchester and surrounding area, by all accounts, has some great places to live.

JAJ--you are exactly right. If I do get the job I will be working out if I can in the new year as opposed to right away. I will also be retaining a faculty position here for a year, so we'll see.
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:31 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Kath & Graham's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Joondalup Perth WA
Posts: 1,060
Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can a kent girl become a lancashire lass?

Great place Canterbury and Howletts Zoo (used to love to watch the baby gorillas!!!)...

Look slike we'll all be up North "e by gum lad"
Kath & Graham is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.