British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Can I use a UK Post Office Box service for a physical address? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/can-i-use-uk-post-office-box-service-physical-address-938030/)

Palomino Apr 8th 2021 5:44 pm

Can I use a UK Post Office Box service for a physical address?

I found a UK Post Office box service online that says we can have a street address with their service.
My question is can we use this street address to use for a Bank Account in the UK?
We are looking at opening one with HBSC here in Canada and then transferring to UK later on, but we wanted to start putting money into a UK Bank asap
and we found this service online. What do you think, could we use this street address to use with the Bank?

spouse of scouse Apr 9th 2021 1:13 am

Re: Can I use a UK Post Office Box service for a physical address?

Originally Posted by Palomino (Post 12992824)
I found a UK Post Office box service online that says we can have a street address with their service.
My question is can we use this street address to use for a Bank Account in the UK?
We are looking at opening one with HBSC here in Canada and then transferring to UK later on, but we wanted to start putting money into a UK Bank asap
and we found this service online. What do you think, could we use this street address to use with the Bank?

A PO box address is no good for opening an ordinary UK bank account. Any online company that claims it can circumvent UK law in this matter is just a scam.

Contact HBSC, or the bank of your choice, to find out your options.

tdrinker Apr 9th 2021 5:00 am

Technically no. Perhaps the bank wouldn't notice it isn't a real address, but they would require proof of address and I don't how you could legitimately provide it. You'd also need to trust the Post Address service to receive confidential communications from the bank. I'd also be wary of the bank's reaction if they notice you're claiming a Post Address as a real address. Very wary.

HSBC could probably provide you with a sterling account in Canada (other banks may also) if you want to hold sterling funds. Or there are a few offshore banks in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man which might allow you to open an account. I believe there are previous threads on opening a UK bank account as a non-resident, which you can search for (or search on Google).

brits1 Apr 9th 2021 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Palomino (Post 12992824)

I think you can open a UK HSBC account from Canada, we did this whilst still living in Australia, we opened a British account with HSBC and we then started paying money into that account whilst still living in Australia. Good luck

Palomino Apr 9th 2021 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12992997)
I think you can open a UK HSBC account from Canada, we did this whilst still living in Australia, we opened a British account with HSBC and we then started paying money into that account whilst still living in Australia. Good luck

Yes I believe that will be the route we will be taking, the other one I thought was a bit leery.

Benson55 Apr 17th 2021 4:12 am

have you looked into Transferwise? Probably suitable for you.