British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Can I open a UK Bank account online? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/can-i-open-uk-bank-account-online-937126/)

patliniris Feb 13th 2021 9:33 pm

Can I open a UK Bank account online?

We have been in Canada since 1981, decided to return to UK to live COVID permitting! Cannot seem to be able to open a bank account in UK online.....any tips please and thanks...And thanks for letting me join!

Jerseygirl Feb 13th 2021 9:49 pm

Re: Can I open a UK Bank account online?

Originally Posted by patliniris (Post 12971597)
We have been in Canada since 1981, decided to return to UK to live COVID permitting! Cannot seem to be able to open a bank account in UK online.....any tips please and thanks...And thanks for letting me join!

Welcome to BE :wave:

As this forum is for introductions only, I will move your thread across to our UK forums. I am sure our members who frequent the UK forums will be pleased to help you.

Helen1964 Feb 14th 2021 11:39 am

Welcome to the forum.
This question comes up again and again. The conclusion seems to be that no, you can’t open a UK bank account while living abroad.
You can only do so once you’re resident in the UK.
If you need something to tide you over (eg so you can pay the utility bills you will presumably have to produce as proof of residency in order for a UK bank to let you open an account) Transferwise Borderless accounts have been recommended on this forum You should be able to open one of those (in sterling) from Canada.

Best of luck.

patliniris Feb 14th 2021 12:25 pm

Thank you so much!

SanDiegogirl Feb 14th 2021 6:00 pm

Try these guys?

https://www.monito.com/en/wiki/open-...roof-residency

patliniris Feb 14th 2021 7:17 pm

Thank you so much....

Helen1964 Feb 15th 2021 4:22 am

What a great link. The most comprehensive explanation I’ve seen so far.

brits1 Feb 15th 2021 8:03 am

Originally Posted by patliniris (Post 12971597)

Do you have an HSBC bank anywhere near to you? You can open a UK account from there. Good luck

patliniris Feb 15th 2021 11:09 pm

Thank you!

scot47 Feb 21st 2021 5:03 pm

This institution might oblige.

About Al Rayan Bank | Al Rayan Bank

patliniris Feb 22nd 2021 7:15 pm

Thanks

bhunt Jun 9th 2021 8:42 pm

HSBC are done in the US, sold most of their business, they cannot help us anymore, i am still trying to figure out how to move my $$ to a UK bank,

MidAtlantic Jun 10th 2021 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt (Post 13015935)
HSBC are done in the US, sold most of their business, they cannot help us anymore, i am still trying to figure out how to move my $$ to a UK bank,

If you have a UK bank account already then use Wise (formerly Transferwise). Once you have registered with them (ID etc), in my experience their service is excellent.
If you do not have a UK account look at the Wise Multi Currency Account as an interim measure.

Albert_dock Jun 10th 2021 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt (Post 13015935)

If you have a open a Premier Account in US and in the UK, the pending changes at HSBC US will not affect you.. That’s what my relationship manager said..

dougal03 Jun 11th 2021 12:24 pm

I wonder if I would have found it different if I had tried to open a UK Bank account on-line instead of waiting till I arrived back in UK.But,also,I was coming from an EU country & had to supply a written paper from authorities to say that my residency papers had all been cancelled before entering UK.But I would assume that you have to provide evidence that you are not money laundering wherever you were previously.My experience was like a comedy sketch,had to provide 3 previous properties owned which ,in my case covered about 20 years,& give the full addresses which I imagine showed the money route.This I thought was a bit silly but I guess they couldn´t go back to how I managed to save the deposit for my very 1st.purchase.Anyway,having spelled out ever foreign address line by line,I was told that they were "too long" to fit onto their equipment.There was no answer when I queried how else could they then verify I was genuine,just allowed me to open an account.This was the same with the DWP who had to transfer my pension & found the addresses also troublesome. .Maybe UK needs to invest in more modern machines.As I say,British Nationals legally resident in an EU country were not allowed to keep a Bank account in UK,although many did by various methods,so your experience may be very different.My euros were changed into Sterling via a legal Conversion Bank based in London & Barclays Bank held the funds to be transferred once the account was operational.Obviously their credentials were insufficient hence further details required.It would be interesting to hear your on-line experience.