Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can I just up and leave to go back home?

Can I just up and leave to go back home?

Old Sep 1st 2022, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Laur_pren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I just up and leave to go back home?

So I’m 27 and moved to Nova Scotia with my mum and stepdad(Canadian) when I was 15. We are all planning on moving back to England however I am doing it sooner as my stepdad has to apply for spousal visa etc.

I recently visited back home for the first time in 9 years, instead of staying for 3 weeks I stayed for 2 months and decided to come back, sell my car, tie up loose ends and hop back on the plane.

I just want to know if it really is as easy as that, if I can go and give up my Canadian residency from England, if anyone has done that. I don’t have any property or rrsps etc, my boyfriend is coming over from England in a week and I have a flight booked to go back with him. Is it really just as easy as that?

Also since I was 15 I never got a national insurance number, so do I just apply for that when I go back?

thank you in advance from a girl who is just following her happiness and winging it!
Old Sep 1st 2022, 8:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I just up and leave to go back home?

Originally Posted by Laur_pren
So I’m 27 and moved to Nova Scotia with my mum and stepdad(Canadian) when I was 15. We are all planning on moving back to England however I am doing it sooner as my stepdad has to apply for spousal visa etc.

I recently visited back home for the first time in 9 years, instead of staying for 3 weeks I stayed for 2 months and decided to come back, sell my car, tie up loose ends and hop back on the plane.

I just want to know if it really is as easy as that, if I can go and give up my Canadian residency from England, if anyone has done that. I don’t have any property or rrsps etc, my boyfriend is coming over from England in a week and I have a flight booked to go back with him. Is it really just as easy as that?

Also since I was 15 I never got a national insurance number, so do I just apply for that when I go back?

thank you in advance from a girl who is just following her happiness and winging it!
Yes, absolutely you can just go home (assuming you're a British citizen of course - you've not actually said!), and apply for your NI number once there. https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-in...r/how-to-apply There's no requirement to renounce your Canadian PR, although you can if you wish of course.

It may be worth considering getting Canadian citizenship so that you have the ability to move back just in case you change your mind at any point in the future? I know at the moment you think the UK is where you want to be, but if you've lived in Canada for so long it would be awful to shut that door and have to try to qualify for a visa in the future if you do change your mind - never say never and all that!

Best of luck and welcome to BE.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 1st 2022 at 8:13 am.
Old Sep 1st 2022, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. I will only add to the excellent response above that you can apply for a job before receiving your NI number as it can take some weeks for that to happen. This was the case when our son moved back in 2017 after moving to the USA with us when he was 5 and moving back 30 years later. This was pre-Covid and even then he had actually applied for a job, and started work well before his NI number arrived in the post.

Old Sep 1st 2022, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

I second getting Canadian citizenship if you cab before moving. You're young, you never know what you may want to do in the coming years / decades. A Canadian passport could also be useful for visiting countries where a UK passport is less welcome, or if you wanted an extended trip to Canada. Further, you may have kids in future, and might be able to pass the citizenship onto them if they wanted it. This may never happen, the kids and/or them wanting to live in Canada, and no-one knows what the citizenship rules will be in years into the future anyway. But it's better to have it and not use it than not have it and want it. Bottom line, it gives you options..
Old Sep 2nd 2022, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Expatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrian has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to add to the great responses other than to iterate consider getting your Canadian citizenship. There’s no shortage of posters here who have ping-ponged between countries, sometimes more than once, because they didn’t realize it wasn’t what they’d expected. You are young, not old and retiring, so it’s even more likely for you that you may change your mind down the road. Thus, it’s even more important to think about giving up the right to live in another country, which is hardly ever easily obtained.
Old Sep 6th 2022, 7:00 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

On the Canadian side I think you're supposed to inform the CRA what the last day is of your residence in Canada and then file your last tax return before the usual deadline (end of March). On the T1 form there's a box asking you to indicate the month/day you ceased to be a resident. On the UK side don't you have to fill in a ToR form?
Old Sep 11th 2022, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

From the tax point of view, there’s an NR73 form to complete when leaving to determine your tax residency - you fill it in and submit, and CRA then confirms you’re no longer a Canadian tax resident. Don’t know about ToR but perhaps OP will be covered by her family one - my daughter moved back to the UK I independently and didn’t complete one - isn’t it to cover your ‘stuff’ so you don’t pay tax on it?
Old Sep 15th 2022, 12:04 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If your parents ever claimed child benefit for you then chances are you already have a National Insurance number. Try giving HMRC a call and check with them.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number
Old Sep 15th 2022, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
Don’t know about ToR but perhaps OP will be covered by her family one - my daughter moved back to the UK I independently and didn’t complete one - isn’t it to cover your ‘stuff’ so you don’t pay tax on it?
Yes, the ToR is to avoid paying import duties. Provided you have owned everything at least 6 months then no duty is owed.