Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can I claim an Aussie pension in the UK?

Can I claim an Aussie pension in the UK?

Old Jan 30th 2015, 12:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I claim an Aussie pension in the UK?

Originally Posted by Chowchilla
My primary concern is having money on retirement. I'm pretty sure I'll get virtually nothing from a UK pension at this stage as I've moved around. I don't mind relinquishing my Aussie pension so long as I have something to live on from some source or other...
If you have no other source of income for a UK retirement, then it looks like you'll either need to stay in Oz until you've reached age pension age, claim the pension and then move to the UK, or move to the UK for a while (I don't know how old you are), and then move back permanently to Oz on reaching pension age.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I clearly need more coffee. When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it said "can I claim an Aussie person" and I wondered wtf?!?!
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My primary concern is having money on retirement. I'm pretty sure I'll get virtually nothing from a UK pension at this stage as I've moved around.
Having 'moved around' isn't a reason to not get a UK pension, you know you can still pay in to it from abroad? It's only about £2 a week irrc.

I'm not sure how many years short of a full pension you are (you can check that yourself) but it might be worth catching up if you can. I think you can go back 6 years and pay in to it for those missing years?
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Under a reciprocal SS agreement, each country agrees to index the amount of pension paid to its expats, to at least the minimum pension paid to the other country's citizens.

Australia abandoned the agreement because the UK government ceased indexing the State pensions of its expats living in Australia - the pension they left the UK with was the same amount they'd receive forevermore. This meant that the Oz government had to 'top up' the UK pensions so that the expats received at least the minimum Australian age pension amount.

The Australian government continued to index the age pensions of Aussie expats living in the UK while attempting to negotiate a resolution with the UK government. I believe negotiations continued for several years until the Oz government said 'stuff ya'. There is still a double taxation treaty in place between the two countries, and a reciprocal health agreement.

Am I reading that correctly? From what you put, it sounds like it was the UK government who said "stuff ya" when they refused to continue to index link pensions in Oz, despite the Oz government asking the UK "for several years" to continue with this?

It wouldn't have worked very well anyway now with the changes to the UK state pension to stop people getting any UK pension if they haven't contributed to the UK themselves; the increase of the retirement age to 67; changes to the benefit Pension Credit. Even Brits retiring to another EEA country can be affected by the pension changes under EEA rules.

Last edited by formula; Jan 30th 2015 at 4:36 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 12:08 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Am I reading that correctly? From what you put, it sounds like it was the UK government who said "stuff ya" when they refused to continue to index link pensions in Oz, despite the Oz government asking the UK "for several years" to continue with this?

It wouldn't have worked very well anyway now with the changes to the UK state pension to stop people getting any UK pension if they haven't contributed to the UK themselves; the increase of the retirement age to 67; changes to the benefit Pension Credit. Even Brits retiring to another EEA country can be affected by the pension changes under EEA rules.
Hello Formula
Old Jan 31st 2015, 4:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't affect eligibility to apply for an age pension, but it affects the amount you'll receive. Under a reciprocal SS agreement, each country agrees to index the amount of pension paid to its expats, to at least the minimum pension paid to the other country's citizens.
Really? Every single bilateral Social Security agreement in the world says that? Somehow, I doubt it. Not every country has indexation, to begin with.

And the termination of the Social Security Agreement absolutely does affect eligibility for an age pension. As I understand it, before 2001, a British migrant to Australia could normally count U.K. residence towards the 10 years required for the Australian age pension. For those that migrated since 2001, that's no longer an option - but after 10 years, they can apply for the Australian age pension based on own merits.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 8:19 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by JAJ
Really? Every single bilateral Social Security agreement in the world says that? Somehow, I doubt it. Not every country has indexation, to begin with.

And the termination of the Social Security Agreement absolutely does affect eligibility for an age pension. As I understand it, before 2001, a British migrant to Australia could normally count U.K. residence towards the 10 years required for the Australian age pension. For those that migrated since 2001, that's no longer an option - but after 10 years, they can apply for the Australian age pension based on own merits.
No JAJ, not 'every single bilateral Social Security agreement in the world says that'. I was talking about the 2 countries under discussion, Australia and the UK. Similarly, the lack of an Agreement doesn't affect the OP's eligibility. Sorry for not being more exhaustive in my post.

You know, having a bit of knowledge to impart doesn't mean it's ok to be sarcastic and rude
Old Jan 31st 2015, 8:23 am
Concierge

OP, this section of Australian Social Security Law regarding portability of pensions for returning residents may be of further assistance

7.1.4 Requirements for Former Residents of Australia Receiving a Portable Pension | Guide to Social Security Law
Old Jan 31st 2015, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Chowchilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you one and all for your help. I know where I need to go now for further advice.

I won't be returning to this thread, so no further replies will be heeded, however feel free to talk/argue amongst yourselves.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 9:45 am
Concierge

Thank you one and all for your help. I know where I need to go now for further advice.

I won't be returning to this thread, so no further replies will be heeded, however feel free to talk/argue amongst yourselves.
Glad that BE folks could point you in the right direction.

Not sure what your announcement about not returning to the thread or 'heeding further replies' was about - funny way for a new member who's been helped out to behave! Anyway, whether you return is neither here nor there - there's bound to be people in the future with similar questions who may be helped by some of the info posted.

Thanks for your permission to continue posting on a public forum, most kind of you
Old Feb 1st 2015, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

An absolutely brilliant and informative thread. I only wish I had had this information before.

It was only the persistence of an expat on another forum that prompted me to contact Centrelink International. I 'knew' OzAgePen would be my only income, and I 'knew' I wouldn't qualify for it because of that 2001 agreement. That delayed my return by five years after qualifying for AP. That 2001 thing has misled many people I'm sure.

All I then knew was that I could (and do) get my OzAgePen here in the UK; but I never really understood the reasoning behind it until now.
(And it is CPI indexed. We get the same rises as those resident in Australia, but of course not any ancillary allowances).
Old Feb 1st 2015, 5:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No JAJ, not 'every single bilateral Social Security agreement in the world says that'. I was talking about the 2 countries under discussion, Australia and the UK. Similarly, the lack of an Agreement doesn't affect the OP's eligibility. Sorry for not being more exhaustive in my post.
The text of the Agreement is available here:
https://www.dss.gov.au/about-the-dep...at-britain-and

There was never anything in the Agreement that obliged the United Kingdom to update pensions to those living in Australia. Australia terminated the Agreement not because the United Kingdom was in breach of its obligations, but because the Agreement itself could be terminated by either side with 12 months notice.

The Australian age pension requires 10 years residence. The applicant doesn't get a higher pension by having 15, 20 or 25 years residence. So, as long as someone has 10 years in Australia, the termination of the Social Security Agreement is irrelevant. Unless I'm missing something?

Realistically, those who are affected most by lack of indexation on the U.K. pension will have been in Australia for more than 10 years anyway, and get the age pension regardless. IF they qualify for it otherwise.