Can I Ask??

Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice
Default Can I Ask??

HI All,

I am in my mind in two worlds , which is giving me a few sleepless nights! And I can post for advice on Moving out to Australia,but want to see the other side of the coin. I hope you dont mind but what did you not like about Australia? I went on a valid trip to Sydney to say that my rose tinted bubble was burst was a under statement. We still feel we should give it ago in another state , I understand everyone moves over for different reasons the same as they come back. Thank You for your time.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:47 am
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I Ask??

Originally Posted by estherg
HI All,

I am in my mind in two worlds , which is giving me a few sleepless nights! And I can post for advice on Moving out to Australia,but want to see the other side of the coin. I hope you dont mind but what did you not like about Australia? I went on a valid trip to Sydney to say that my rose tinted bubble was burst was a under statement. We still feel we should give it ago in another state , I understand everyone moves over for different reasons the same as they come back. Thank You for your time.
Why did you validate in Sydney if you want to live in Melbourne?

I loved Sydney, to visit as a holiday destination.

I loved Melbourne, but I don't hink we could live there because weather is so unpredictable!! But it's a lovely place, and if OH job took us there, I know I'd make the most of our time there.

We ended up in Brisbane because of a job offer. I love Brisbane!

I expect that each state or city has good and bad points. The whole thing about Australia is that it's so diverse. If you don't like one place, you can move to another.

Australian friends always think we made a big move by coming here. I always reply that you only have to move two suburbs, change jobs, change schools, etc. That's just as big a deal.

Your heart is either for it or against it.

I'd rather move from one Australian state to another than from one UK town to another!

Hope you make the right decision for your you and yours

Maggie
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

estherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really niceestherg is just really nice

OH got more firm job offer with NSW Government, so it was best to go to look at Sydney , but wanted to go Melbourne but we wanted to really have a good look round before saying its not our sort of place. I am for it, but lets say losing a uncle on landing back in the UK and losing a baby months before may have clouded my mind. So I never got the chance to see Melbourne.
Sorry have I posted on the wrong section?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:39 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

HI All,

I know exactly how you feel. We went on a reccie to Melbourne just prior to emigrating permanently (visa valid needed and house not sold). I was absolutely gutted that my rose tints came off straight away. I can't pinpoint why I felt like that because Melbourne is a lovely city. I felt that it was too late to pull out as the house sale was going through and everything booked.

We moved there and stayed for 12 months - I loved Melbourne city but didn't love living there due to finances, family reasons, boredom (we don't have small children so not really into beaches etc). I think if we could have afforded to live in/near the city we would have felt better but found the suburbs very boring.

Back home now though and see UK through very different eyes.

Good luck with what you decide
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

HI All,

It's good that you're looking at both sides of the coin. It's better to come with an open mind than be disappointed when you arrive. If Sydney isn't for you then why not give another state a go...what have you got to lose?

If people come thinking Australia is perfect they're asking for trouble if you ask me. You're going about it the right way and it can only get better from here on. If it doesn't, you can always go back...you won't know unless you give it a try. Don't live your life saying 'what if'.

We've decided to go back due to many reasons, but we have no regrets. Living in Oz is an experience we'll never forget and will always be thankful for. At least we gave it a go and now know it wasn't for us!

Best wishes and good luck
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:29 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

HI All,

We validated in Perth. My rose tints fell off straight away. Yet we still came here "just incase" it felt different to live here. I should have trusted my rose tints.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:36 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

HI All,

We visited Sydney and Perth and I wasn't overly impressed. We came to Melbourne and I am still fighting the 'it's a mistake' feelings.

Some people should trust their instincts and some people should just go with it....what can I say, you really don't know until you have been here for a while and then it just gets even more confusing (typing with wry smile).

Best of luck
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt do a reccie to Perth first, (thought I knew it all after 2 years of research, cough cough!!!)

Anyway soon as I got off the plane I knew we had made a terribl mistake, not at all what I thought it was gonna be.

Went on a reccie to Brisbane absolutely loved it!!! just thought it was exactly where I wanted to be, but various reasons we didnt move there (grumble grumble) so now we are going home to UK, hoping we will feel like we have done the right thing.......if only we all knew how things would pan out
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:21 am
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Can I Ask??

I think you may need to ask yourself whether going through the hassle and expense of moving to another city is really going to provide you with whatever it is you feel is missing at the moment. I lived in Sydney but never even contemplated anywhere else before moving back, as from a personal point of view, all Aussie cities are pretty much the same. Same skyscrapers, beaches, coffee bars etc. Visited Melbourne and Perth and they just didn't feel any different. I suppose people have different perspectives on what constitutes diversity, but to me I was still in the same country with the same culture which I didn't much care for. All the stuff I missed from the UK - close friends, stuff I'd grown up with etc, were just as absent in one Aussie city as the next. I guess most people don't settle because of homesickness and I can never understand why the advice often given is to spend more money on just moving to another place in the same country. Always sounds like slightly dodgy advice to me. Just my opinion - feel free to ignore.

Good luck anyway. Hope it all works out.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

I never warmed to Sydney as a place to live, fine for a quick visit.
I do like Melbourne more, for me it feels more multi cultural & theres more culture there (by Oz standards). Still wouldnt want to live there though. As Mr. Hitchmo says, its still in the same country with the same culture and the point about coffee shops/cafes, beaches etc is v true.
An earlier poster said Oz is so diverse - I feel the opposite is true. Some nice scenery but give me the UK any day for a myraid of reasons - geography, people, humour, countryside, access to all sorts - history, europe, decent informed media, normal non sexist/racist attitudes etc etc - personally, moving to a different state wouldnt alter why I didnt want to remain living in Oz
good luck with your decision and very sensible having a look on the mbtuk threads
Old Sep 12th 2007, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all your post's. Good luck what ever your doing staying
or coming home. I have seen some posts of people who have returned home and people have been really rude. I think its a silly thing ,as they say" another mans meat is another mans poison!" Cheers
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the big cities arent the way to go - there are some really nice regional towns in Victoria which still have quite good employment prospects and some even smaller places which would be great if you didnt have to rely on someone else to employ you! (Having recently visited Orbost, I could live there no worries if I could earn a crust!).

We have been in Canberra for years - DH got an academic scholarship and then moved into the Australian public service like many other Canberrans. And we have stayed here although I would much rather go home it really isnt feasible financially. Canberra is a nice place, great to bring up kids, not the place for a beach babe but still a very pleasant place to live in. I think it is sad that most of the posts I have seen on this board today focus on the major cities and ignore some of the nicer parts of Aus - personally I would hate to live in Sydney (would love to live in London again but I am a bit silly that way!) and would prefer not to be in the 'burbs of Melbourne either unless it was South Yarra or Toorak! Canberra OTOH has some lovely quite affordable suburbs close to where the action is without being horribly built up and busy.

No matter where you go though, there are some things that Australia just doesnt have - rain, family, green grass, history, long summer evenings etc
Old Sep 15th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am like you Did not like Sydney but love London. But OH only had job offers to go to them both. I would love to see other parts of Australia. I thought the other day I opened my french doors to fresh dew smell and thought its silly but I love little things like this.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:16 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
An earlier poster said Oz is so diverse - I feel the opposite is true. Some nice scenery but give me the UK any day for a myraid of reasons - geography, people, humour, countryside, access to all sorts - history, europe, decent informed media, normal non sexist/racist attitudes etc etc - personally, moving to a different state wouldnt alter why I didnt want to remain living in Oz
good luck with your decision and very sensible having a look on the mbtuk threads
I'm glad that you posted the above - I have always thought it was just me that thought that much of it is very samey.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:31 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I'm glad that you posted the above - I have always thought it was just me that thought that much of it is very samey.
Me too - some years before we lived in Perth we travelled all round Oz for a few months - we found much of it to be very similar - sunny, clean, similar look in the cities, nice botanic gardens, nice beaches etc etc, similar feel in general - all very nice and shiny on the surface but not a lot of depth/character underneath (just my opinion before anyone jumps down my throat!!) - perhaps for me the bit of Oz that was different was the red centre - Alice Springs, Ayers rock, Mount Isa, Coober Pedy etce etc - although these bits were very different they were also decidedly odd in places! And not in a good way!

When I read posts from people that are unhappy say in Brisbane I just don't get the 'try Sydney/Melbourne/Perth' thing - to me they are all much of a muchness but maybe that's just me being thick!