Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Can anyone provide some advice? My Father 60 is coming back to England.

Wikiposts

Can anyone provide some advice? My Father 60 is coming back to England.

Old Sep 8th 2018, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

bflare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone provide some advice? My Father 60 is coming back to England.

My 60 year old father who is British born moved to Italy just over 4 years ago. Due to financial problems over there & his health deteriorating he is forced to come back to England this November. He has a rare medical condition called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome which is now effecting his ability to walk. This is one reason why he is coming back to England. The problem is that he obviously has no home to come to & not enough money to rent anywhere. He will have to live with me initially but I only live in a one bed flat so it’s not ideal. He is panicking a little & getting a bit upset as he just doesn’t know what is going to happen when he gets back. He is worrying about supporting himself financially, his health & accommodation. I have said that the first thing that he needs to do is register with a doctor. He believes that he is not eligible for any financial help until he has been back in England for 3 months. I am just a little worried myself now & really could do with some advice on what direction we need to go in & any places that could help? Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 1:15 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone provide some advice? My Father 60 is coming back to England.

There is a three month wait for many benefits - this is called the Habitual Residence Test.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/

However he will be eligible for NHS care from day one. Registering with a GP is a good idea.

How was your father supporting himself financially in Italy before he became ill?
Old Sep 9th 2018, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Can anyone provide some advice? My Father 60 is coming back to England.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
There is a three month wait for many benefits - this is called the Habitual Residence Test.

However he will be eligible for NHS care from day one. Registering with a GP is a good idea.

How was your father supporting himself financially in Italy before he became ill?
Yeah I have just read something about HRT thanks.

He is still registered with a GP here although it is not in the area he will be living.

I dont like to delve into my dads finances but I gather he cased a few pensions & also had some kind of redundancy pay from Leeds City Council who he worked for. He was also caring for an elderly lady in Italy & he lived in her apartment but she passed away over a year ago. He really doesnt want to come back but has little choice.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 1:35 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bflare
Yeah I have just read something about HRT thanks.

He is still registered with a GP here although it is not in the area he will be living.

I dont like to delve into my dads finances but I gather he cased a few pensions & also had some kind of redundancy pay from Leeds City Council who he worked for. He was also caring for an elderly lady in Italy & he lived in her apartment but she passed away over a year ago. He really doesnt want to come back but has little choice.
He'll need to register with a local GP when he moves back. He can always register again when he has his own place.

You're going to have to delve into your father's finances if he expects you to take care of him. If he has savings and pensions income then presumably he won't be penniless. You'll need to work out exactly what he is owned from whom and where it's going. This should give you an idea of what he can afford accommodation wise in the UK. I would also investigate the various benefits that he or you may become eligible, e.g. Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, PIP, Carer's Allowance, Attendance Allowance.

I think speaking to the Citizens Advice Bureau would be a good idea.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 2:03 am
Just Joined

He'll need to register with a local GP when he moves back. He can always register again when he has his own place.

You're going to have to delve into your father's finances if he expects you to take care of him. If he has savings and pensions income then presumably he won't be penniless. You'll need to work out exactly what he is owned from whom and where it's going. This should give you an idea of what he can afford accommodation wise in the UK. I would also investigate the various benefits that he or you may become eligible, e.g. Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, PIP, Carer's Allowance, Attendance Allowance.

I think speaking to the Citizens Advice Bureau would be a good idea.
As far as I know he does have some savings because he has said that he could afford to rent a place privately for a while but he doesn't think it would be possible as he doesn't think a landlord would want a Tennant who has not been living in England permanently for a few years & also they may want a minimum tenancy duration that he may not be able to afford.

Like you say he needs to get to the Citizens advice Bureau when he gets back i was just hoping i could get the ball rolling somehow before hand.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 2:19 am

As far as I know he does have some savings because he has said that he could afford to rent a place privately for a while but he doesn't think it would be possible as he doesn't think a landlord would want a Tennant who has not been living in England permanently for a few years & also they may want a minimum tenancy duration that he may not be able to afford.

Like you say he needs to get to the Citizens advice Bureau when he gets back i was just hoping i could get the ball rolling somehow before hand.
That he was living overseas is unlikely to make a difference. The only time it might become an issue is passing a credit check. A landlord is going to require a deposit but the rent will be paid monthly. The standard tenancy agreement length is 12 months.

There's not much practically you can do now but you can educate yourself on what needs to be done so things can go as smoothly and quickly as possible when the time comes.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 2:27 am
Just Joined

That he was living overseas is unlikely to make a difference. The only time it might become an issue is passing a credit check. A landlord is going to require a deposit but the rent will be paid monthly. The standard tenancy agreement length is 12 months.

There's not much practically you can do now but you can educate yourself on what needs to be done so things can go as smoothly and quickly as possible when the time comes.
Thanks for your advice. I am trying to compile a check list so at least I am prepared like you say. I didn't expect to have to have my parent living with me at almost 40 haha
Old Sep 9th 2018, 2:40 am

Thanks for your advice. I am trying to compile a check list so at least I am prepared like you say. I didn't expect to have to have my parent living with me at almost 40 haha
For your own sanity I think you will need to put a strict time limit on finding your father his own accommodation. The three month waiting period would be good to use for this purpose.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 8:43 am
Just Joined

For your own sanity I think you will need to put a strict time limit on finding your father his own accommodation. The three month waiting period would be good to use for this purpose.
Yeah you are right. This is going to really affect my personal life to be honest & I am not looking forward to it in the slightest. But he is my father & I have to help him.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yeah you are right. This is going to really affect my personal life to be honest & I am not looking forward to it in the slightest. But he is my father & I have to help him.
& good on you. We do our best & give our love and care for our parents when the time comes, which it often does. I had to give of my time for both my parents.

60 is no age and I hope that between you both you are able to sort everything out enough for him to have some life.

What rotten luck to have inherited this debilitating condition. I do hope it is not in your own genes.