Can Anyone Help Me Please

Old Dec 8th 2005, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

MistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the rough
Smile Can Anyone Help Me Please

Hi To Everyone,
We are admitting defeat and moving back to the UK in the next six weeks. Rather quick in terms of arranging everything but we feel that it would be better to leave sooner rather than later.
My question is we didn't ship any furniture here to Oz as we bought it here, can anybody recommend who we should use and the approximate costs etc. As we have no previous experience with shipping and containers etc any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Misty Sunshine
Old Dec 9th 2005, 1:05 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can Anyone Help Me Please

Originally Posted by MistySunshine
Hi To Everyone,
We are admitting defeat and moving back to the UK in the next six weeks. Rather quick in terms of arranging everything but we feel that it would be better to leave sooner rather than later.
My question is we didn't ship any furniture here to Oz as we bought it here, can anybody recommend who we should use and the approximate costs etc. As we have no previous experience with shipping and containers etc any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Misty Sunshine
Here you go, this thread was started at the beginning of September which discusses shipping costs.....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ainer+shipping

I don't think you have to admit defeat though - at least you tried it - and you'll never have to wonder "what if".

Good Luck and safe trip home

Last edited by MrsB; Dec 9th 2005 at 1:18 am.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Blue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant future

Hi To Everyone,
Thanks,
Misty Sunshine

Hiya misty sunshine,

Well we are in the same boat as you except that we are leaving in 7 weeks time, but we made our minds up quite a few weeks ago.We have had 5 quotes from shipping companies and they are all similar in price, It is, I have found, normally just a feel you get from them when they come round to quote you,some are more professional than others but at the end of the day it is normally their whole manner etc that swings it in their favour ( at least that is what I have found). It also depends on several factors eg. how much you have in order to fit in part of a container/ a shared container or a 20 or 40 foot container it also depends on if you want insurance and if so what type ie full risk cover or restricted cover and do you want the items to be replaced on cost or market value and there is lots more options to choose so it is different for each individual and what they want.
I hope this is of some use to you. If you want to know what companies we got to quote us you can pm me.

Blue eyed girl
Old Dec 9th 2005, 6:09 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Misty and Blue eyed girl

Just wondering what your reasons are for coming back to Blighty?How long have you been out in Oz?

cheers

P
Old Dec 9th 2005, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi To Everyone,
Thanks,
Misty Sunshine

Hi

I'm in Adelaide and have found a shipping company - I'm going to pack the container myself!

I'll pm you.

gd
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Blue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant futureBlue Eyed Girl has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Can Anyone Help Me Please

Originally Posted by Pants

Just wondering what your reasons are for coming back to Blighty?How long have you been out in Oz?

cheers

P
Hiya Pants,

Well to cut a Long story short, we have been through all the pro's and cons of living in either country and as a lot of people have stated on this forum it's a case of whether you want the weather or the family, as most other things are the same and obtainable in both countries.Although we have only been here for nearly 6 months we knew where we wanted to live almost immediately after arriving in oz, but put it off thinking that it was just homesickness. But now having lived in both countries and being able to compare like for like I can honestly say that I really do prefer blighty warts and all. And that is why we are going back home. It is a rather expensive way of finding out where you would like to live but at least we gave it a go and know now and can settle down and get on with our lives instead of feeling restless wanting to move on etc..

BEG

Last edited by Blue Eyed Girl; Dec 11th 2005 at 1:47 am.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Eyed Girl
Hiya Pants,

Well to cut a Long story short, we have been through all the pro's and cons of living in either country and as a lot of people have stated on this forum it's a case of whether you want the weather or the family, as most other things are the same and obtainable in both countries.Although we have only been here for nearly 6 months we knew where we wanted to live almost immediately after arriving in oz, but put it off thinking that it was just homesickness. But now having lived in both countries and being able to compare like for like I can honestly say that I really do prefer blighty warts and all. And that is why we are going back home. It is a rather expensive way of finding out where you would like to live but at least we gave it a go and know now and can settle down and get on with our lives instead of feeling restless wanting to move on etc..

BEG
At the very least you scratched the "What if..." itch and now you know.
As they say, what doesnt kill you only makes you better, so you can return home with your experiences and the enrichment they will bring.

Good luck to you both.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
At the very least you scratched the "What if..." itch and now you know.
As they say, what doesnt kill you only makes you better, so you can return home with your experiences and the enrichment they will bring.

Good luck to you both.

Thanks for your kind words angry white pj's ( nice name BTW). That is exactly how we feel.

BEG
Old Dec 11th 2005, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

MistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pants

cheers

P
Hi Pants,
We have been here for 10 months. We had always wondered what it would be like etc. Unfortunately for us things went wrong from the start. Our daughter was involved in an accident breaking her jaw in three places and both her arms. We got through the ordeal but having no family or friends was hard. We did not even know the number for an ambulance when it happened.
I have been successful in Uni and have only three modules left till I finish my degree (I transferred from UK uni) and got myself a little part-time job. Hubby was only allowed to work 20 hours due to visa but has been unable to find any work. Its been hard for him as he always has been a worker and he had to watch me juggle work, uni and family life. When we go back to UK hubby has opportunity of post-grad teacher training (he has been offered a place) so we thought it is better for both of us to be in jobs we want and perhaps one day we will go back to Australia or who knows.
We have also found Adelaide lacks something, what we don't know but it is not for us. Before we leave we are planning to see Melbourne again, I loved it there and Brisbane as perhaps hubby would have been able to get a job (doing anything) which would have enabled us to stay and got our onshore PR (we have met DIMIA at uni and as my degree is Nursing it is in demand). As we see it at present we are able to go back and have a little in the bank or if we stay and things don't improve we will have nothing.
One problem though (or two I should say) daughters don't want to move, but sunshine don't pay the bills.
Cheers.