Reload this Page >

Can anyone comment on Eastleigh

Can anyone comment on Eastleigh

Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

capetonian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can anyone comment on Eastleigh

Hello all,

I lived in London from 2002 to 2005 and want to go back to the UK permanently.
Initially it was very rough when I arrived in the London in 2002 as I arrived with about 1-000 pounds and it took some time to find work because the IT economy was not in good shape at that stage. I think this time round it will be better as I know the city well now and would also like to explore the southampton and eastleigh areas where job prospects seem good, salaries are high and property is reasonably priced compared to London. The areas are also quite close to London - about 1hr by fast commuter train and I like the idea of being able to get into the city on weekends as I do like the big city buzz ; but would prefer not to work there as I did the last time. lastminute.com opposite buckingham palace - Victoria Station was a nightmare in the mornings - and evenings :-)

I should be able to get 50k GBP into the uk if I sell my south african property now provided the commodities boom continues and the rand stays at its current levels. At 32 and single this should be ok to get me up and running I hope.

Can anyone recommend any decent areas within the London commuter belt that are pleasant and have affordable property. Im thinking decent 2bed flat at about 120 - 150k.

Can anyone comment on Eastleigh? This is the place that seems to most grab me atm.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 11:23 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can anyone comment on Eastleigh

Originally Posted by capetonian
Hello all,

Initially it was very rough when I arrived in the London in 2002 as I arrived with about 1-000 pounds and it took some time to find work because the IT economy was not in good shape at that stage. I think this time round it will be better as I know the city well now and would also like to explore the southampton and eastleigh areas where job prospects seem good, salaries are high and property is reasonably priced compared to London. The areas are also quite close to London - about 1hr by fast commuter train and I like the idea of being able to get into the city on weekends as I do like the big city buzz ; but would prefer not to work there as I did the last time. lastminute.com opposite buckingham palace - Victoria Station was a nightmare in the mornings - and evenings :-)

I should be able to get 50k GBP into the uk if I sell my south african property now provided the commodities boom continues and the rand stays at its current levels. At 32 and single this should be ok to get me up and running I hope.

Can anyone recommend any decent areas within the London commuter belt that are pleasant and have affordable property. Im thinking decent 2bed flat at about 120 - 150k.

Can anyone comment on Eastleigh? This is the place that seems to most grab me atm.
I was in Eastleigh last week. However, I only went there to go to Marks and Spencers (apparently one of the largest in the country!) so I didn't see much of the town itself! LOL!
Good luck with your move though.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Eyore62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I can - it is getting bigger by the day and one of the reasons that we are leaving.
Having said that we know what it used to be and miss it being a smaller less crowded (in our opinion, everything is relative) ..................

It has great rail and air links, close to M3 and M27 lots of new build not many that we would touch with a barge pole due to knowing history of the land and how crammed in the housing is

I go to London regularly and it takes around 1 hour on the fast train about 90min on the slower one, there are always plenty of return trains

Do you mean the town of Eastleigh or the borough?
The borough of Eastleigh includes the Southern parishes which go as far as Hedge End and Netley Abbey they are more remote from rail and air links

BTW Marks and Spencer is in Hedge End which is about 8 miles from Eastleigh town and not that easy to reach unless you have a car - it is one of the biggest in the country though

We have lived in the area for 20 years so it can't be that bad

I like Winchester and Salisbury, have you thought about Basingstoke? even nearer to London, much bigger town but has great shopping and entertainment in the centre of town

My son liked livining in Reading but not as nice as Southampton or Basingstoke in my opinion

not sure about how much a flat would cost try doing a search on fish4homes or rightmove

I could let you have a nice 3 bed for £200,000
Old Jan 12th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Hello all,

Well been headed in the direction of this post…...thanks Tracey……..….will try and help you out here, been in Perth for last 3 years and headed back last summer this way to be near family, now living in the borough of Eastleigh rather than in Southampton as was before (still close to each other).

Have list of websites for you to browse out of my favourites and anyone else who cares for a nose..……plus my observations etc for single and family people.

Eastleigh Town, small and getting an overhaul by all accounts, in addition to current shopping centre (small but some good shops inc Next, Boots, Monsoon, Waterstones, Clarks to name a few), they are adding a cinema, bowling centre, restaurants & bars.

In the borough, there are lots of sought after areas with schools of high standards, know this does not apply to you but may help others, we are about 15 mins drive from Eastleigh where my son attends a school which is on the outstanding list of schools for this year, also many others around the area have been on that list in previous years and most people I know are very happy with theirs.

Airport nearby, offering cheap flights …..at last…….what a change from Perth lol!!!! Flights to Edinburgh for example can be bought for £0 and just pay taxes, worked out same as getting train to London. Have used it and it is a breeze, just like catching a train its that uncrowded…..then across the road is the train station taking you into London in an hour, I have also used National Express Coaches as they are cheaper, journey longer but still good.
http://www.southamptonairport.com/
That’s the plus living here as I adore London and love being that close to be able to enjoy it when I want to without the high property costs.

Good theatre in Eastleigh (converted town hall), went tonight with my son to see the panto, exceeded expectations and very reasonable prices, look like they have good variety during the year.
http://www.thepoint-online.co.uk/

Concorde Club is great venue for nights out ……also lots of great restaurants around
http://www.theconcordeclub.com/

Fleming Park for sporting activities in Eastleigh, plus Rugby Club, those are what I know of am sure there are plenty more and definitely more if you head to Southampton and Winchester, Southampton has a great Diving School/Club which my son belongs to.

Nearby as already mentioned…….the BIG (what I missed!!) Marks & Spencer………..and no I wasn’t disappointed with it for all those who said I would be, plus in the surrounding area, large Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda, Waitrose and all the other little ones………..

Cities of Winchester one way and Southampton the other, both offering heaps and an immense amount of fab country pubs over beautiful countryside…………………..It really does take you to go to the other side of the world to appreciate what you have got here once you lose that “Victor Meldrew” mentality……………………..

For properties, best is http://www.rightmove.co.uk/

Few more of my favourites
http://www.marwell.org.uk/
http://www.mayflower.org.uk/
http://www.kutis.co.uk/

All in all I believe it has a great deal to offer all parties

I know I have forgotten to add loads so will add when I remember, hope it helps a bit more……..

Teresa
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:37 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

sorry posted in wrong thread

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Jan 23rd 2008 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud ofPompeyboy has much to be proud of

Hello all,

Too close to Southampton