Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Came home and renounced US citizenship - "Final" tax return sanity check.

Came home and renounced US citizenship - "Final" tax return sanity check.

Old Jan 28th 2016, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Came home and renounced US citizenship - "Final" tax return sanity check.

Yes that would be interesting.
The worst part for me is that I really didn't want to lose my US citizenship.
I would have nothing particularly to "gain" per se for retaining it (apart from visits being a little easier) but, after 15 years there I did feel a certain connection to the place. Plus, we've left grown up children there (who are also naturalized US citizens).

The $2,350 cost of renouncing really is taking the mick. For that money I'd expect the certificate to be personally delivered by Michelle Obama! Instead the "application" languishes at the state department for 7 months and you get this manky photo-copied bit of paper as proof that you are no longer a citizen.

I certainly wouldn't change a thing if I were to be able to go back in time. The older you get the more you realize that it's not what you end up with in life but what experiences you have getting there. And the American adventure sure was an experience!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Came home and renounced US citizenship - "Final" tax return sanity check.

Originally Posted by robin1234
I see those statistics of number of people who've renounced reported here and there. But I wonder if the numbers who are born US citizens vs. the number who naturalised is known, or reported?
There's not a chance of ever finding out. Figures from the DoS are impossible to obtain. The CLN TexasPenguin received will not be sequentially numbered. Because of that, it's rumoured there is a demand for fake CLN's. The DoS also has no idea of the number of USC's abroad.

The figures for those renouncing are listed in the Federal Register, and have been proven to be grossly understated. The FBI figures (the Brady Act) are deemed much more accurate for renunciations, but does not include relinquishments or Green Cards handed back (LPR or long term LPR).

It's been suggested renunciations will plateau, not because of reduced demand, but the consulates and embassies around the world are now limiting the number of ceremonies they do every month, hence my question about the quickness of TexasPenguins ceremony after returning to the UK.

Currently, for the consulate in Calgary, Canada, the earliest available date for a ceremony requested today will be in November of 2016.