Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

calling doggy people, where can i get crates from?

calling doggy people, where can i get crates from?

Old May 1st 2007, 3:35 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold
Default calling doggy people, where can i get crates from?

Hello all

title says it all really, alot of you probably know we are attempting to get our pooch back home without using a company!! as if we havnt enough to do, lol.........where can we get cheap crates from and anyone any guidelines with regards to them?

thanks guys
Old May 1st 2007, 3:55 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calling doggy people, where can i get crates from?

I do not know specification for airline requirements but we bought our dogs collaspable crates off ebay - brilliant price new and they had loads of 2nd had crates all different types.

We had the wire mesh ones for training bed etc.

Hope you have someone on here with good information about shipping the dogs.

Cheers
Old May 1st 2007, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mand

When our dogs arrived in Oz, they had wooden crates - apparantly though (so I was told the other day), these are now no longer allowed to be used on the airlines, and you have to use the hard plastic ones.

I dont know where you can get them from though? If I happen to find out, I will let you know.

Jo
Old May 1st 2007, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Just spoke to Blue Cross animal services in Kenwick - they said that crates now have to be "vari" type or similar. They are the hard plastic ones, and are approved internationally.

They do sell the crates as well, so if you give them a call on 9453 6265, they should give you some idea of the price. Hope this helps

Jo
Old May 1st 2007, 4:53 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mike&jo
Just spoke to Blue Cross animal services in Kenwick - they said that crates now have to be "vari" type or similar. They are the hard plastic ones, and are approved internationally.

They do sell the crates as well, so if you give them a call on 9453 6265, they should give you some idea of the price. Hope this helps

Jo

thanks for the ideas, im in qld, so perth aint no good!

i just cant seem to find anywhere that sells these plastic ones! have emailed a few people, lets hope they can help

thanks for your effort
mand
Old May 1st 2007, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Jo
hi there,i'm arranging for my dog{italian spinone}to fly back to the uk in oct
this year,i still have my wooden crate that he arrived in,in 2005,dogtainers have told me that the container/crate will be fine but the regulations have changed with regards to the thickness of wood used but they will add this additional wood to original container.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

:
Originally Posted by mandtooz
Hello all

title says it all really, alot of you probably know we are attempting to get our pooch back home without using a company!! as if we havnt enough to do, lol.........where can we get cheap crates from and anyone any guidelines with regards to them?

thanks guys
Hi,
We still have most of ours, of various sizes (some poor soul stole two!)...but we still have lots!
We're in Canada, so can't help you directly with company's in Oz...but if it's any help I can give you the dimensions of the 'wooden boxes' that we shipped our critters to Canada in. Via an animal shipping company I hasten to add.
When we return we intend building our own to the same spec. So if you want the spec of our airline approved 'wooden boxes', just let me know your dogs measurements, and I'll measure me boxes for ya!
Honestly, there's nothing to them. Build your own.
Regards.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:13 am
going home!!

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
:

Hi,
We still have most of ours, of various sizes (some poor soul stole two!)...but we still have lots!
We're in Canada, so can't help you directly with company's in Oz...but if it's any help I can give you the dimensions of the 'wooden boxes' that we shipped our critters to Canada in. Via an animal shipping company I hasten to add.
When we return we intend building our own to the same spec. So if you want the spec of our airline approved 'wooden boxes', just let me know your dogs measurements, and I'll measure me boxes for ya!
Honestly, there's nothing to them. Build your own.
Regards.

arrr thanks for that, thats an option!

have just tried to measure the critter, but he wouldnt keep still, will try again later when other half is around to help

thanks mate
Old May 1st 2007, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

I would check with the airline coz im now slightly confused too. Blue cross definately told me that regulations have recently changed, and that you cant use wooden ones at all now, so it maybe worth double checking with the airline that you are going to use..
Old May 1st 2007, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

I would check with the airline coz im now slightly confused too. Blue cross definately told me that regulations have recently changed, and that you cant use wooden ones at all now, so it maybe worth double checking with the airline that you are going to use..
Hi,
Tell you what, I'll check with the animal carriers that we came to Canada with tommorow.
We've been in Canada for 4 years now so regulations may have changed.
To be honest never gave it a thought.
Having said that if they have changed, I'd like to know why?
Plastics preferable over wood?
Keep ya posted, after I've phoned them.
Regards.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

See

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...lingPets#jump1

http://www.pet.net.au/pet_travel.htm
Old May 1st 2007, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was also told by two other companies that you have to have plastic ones now)...
Old May 1st 2007, 7:49 am
going home!!

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Yes I was also told by two other companies that you have to have plastic ones now)...

thats me back to drawing board then!

so where do u get these from, at a good price
Old May 1st 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Maybe try local animal services in your area, that actually do the transportation side of things as well. The Blue cross that I mentioned in Perth, transport animals everywhere as well as having boarding kennels.

They will sell the crates seperately, without you having to use the animal transportation side of things, so surely there would be one in Qld that will do the same?

Good luck

Jo
Old May 1st 2007, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
It depends on the size of your dog.

Crate specifications are generally specific to the carrier but also must meet certain minimum specifications for the dog IE must be able to stand up and turn around.

The industry standard is set by IATA but not all airlines follow this standard and those that do may have variations to this depending on the cargo handling requirements.

You would be best to decide on a carrier then know what their specs are. Crates for a large dog are around $800 from the Pet shippers. I was going to ship my Ridgeback home to NZ and seriously considered building one to the airlines specs but couldn't be bothered with all the hassle in case I turned up with the dog and they refused to take the cage on a technicality.

The general standard is moulded plastic or wiremesh. They only make plastics for small to medium sized dogs.

Timber containers can harbour pests and require an export certificate usually saying it's treated timber (normally exterior grade) that indicates it has no or repels pests

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.