Buying a used car

Old Jun 23rd 2022, 2:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I can't buy a car that's too small due to OH being 6' 4" and not on a slight build, either He doesn't fold up very well.

Old Jun 24th 2022, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention the DVLA will send you your VC5 by post, used to be called log book. Also the license plates come with the car they are unique to that vehicle. Wnen you buy a car you can check its MOT history online search " check MOT" and enter license plate number and will also show if it has road tax . If you are buying a car privately most people just take it for a test drive but if you know a mechanic take him along with you . Buying from a used car lot probably prices will be higher, some places may have checked the car over as part of the service.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 10:46 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'd give that a try.

Old Jun 24th 2022, 10:49 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I forgot to mention the DVLA will send you your VC5 by post, used to be called log book. Also the license plates come with the car they are unique to that vehicle. Wnen you buy a car you can check its MOT history online search " check MOT" and enter license plate number and will also show if it has road tax . If you are buying a car privately most people just take it for a test drive but if you know a mechanic take him along with you . Buying from a used car lot probably prices will be higher, some places may have checked the car over as part of the service.

Thank you. Given that I know nothing at all about cars, and don't know any mechanics either yet, there may be value in getting one that has been checked over.
Old Jun 24th 2022, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. Given that I know nothing at all about cars, and don't know any mechanics either yet, there may be value in getting one that has been checked over.
The AA (Automobile Assoication) and RAC (Royal Automobile Club) both offer vehicle inspection services and, I think, background checks (theft, write off, outstanding payments and a few other things). I don't know what they charge but the details are online. Might be worth a look?
Old Jun 24th 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MartynK
The AA (Automobile Assoication) and RAC (Royal Automobile Club) both offer vehicle inspection services and, I think, background checks (theft, write off, outstanding payments and a few other things). I don't know what they charge but the details are online. Might be worth a look?
Definitely worth a look, I had no idea. Thank you.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, SOS. I'm just waiting for all the dust to settle, and get our stuff delivered. It's currently in Antwerp. We have to go down to Portsmouth for my son's graduation at the exact same time our stuff is likely to be delivered. Of course

With that done, I will be time to figure out what I have to pay off and then move to the car and insurance thing. I'll check out Aviva.
As SOS mention we used Aviva and had no problems they asked if I had any no claims bonus from the overseas insurance (which I had) and the quote was excellent from Aviva I was with them for many years, I have only just changed to the AA. Good luck
Old Jun 29th 2022, 11:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

A minor point but probably worth tucking away in your memory bank.

The DVLA registration document establishes that you are the "keeper" of the car but is not proof of ownership. This has to be demonstrated by the purchase / sale documents.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by brits1
As SOS mention we used Aviva and had no problems they asked if I had any no claims bonus from the overseas insurance (which I had) and the quote was excellent from Aviva I was with them for many years, I have only just changed to the AA. Good luck
Thank you. I had heard of Aviva and Marshmallow as being helpful to repats.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Expatrick
A minor point but probably worth tucking away in your memory bank.

The DVLA registration document establishes that you are the "keeper" of the car but is not proof of ownership. This has to be demonstrated by the purchase / sale documents.
Thanks. My memory bank is currently a bit full. Please hold, and this piece of information will be stored as soon as possible in the order in which it was received.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. My memory bank is currently a bit full. Please hold, and this piece of information will be stored as soon as possible in the order in which it was received.

Thinking on, the point of immediate interest is that, when buying a car, a V5 from the DVLA does not prove that the "seller" actually owns the car & therefore has the right to sell!
Old Jun 29th 2022, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick

Thinking on, the point of immediate interest is that, when buying a car, a V5 from the DVLA does not prove that the "seller" actually owns the car & therefore has the right to sell!
Gotcha, thanks.

So no buying from the guy propping up the bar in the pub across the street then.
Old Jul 1st 2022, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotcha, thanks.

So no buying from the guy propping up the bar in the pub across the street then.
We sold my dads car using a free car advertising site, it might of been gum tree or auto trader (I know it was a free advertising site) we had plenty of offers but met up with a guy (who had come from the SW) in Wilmslow (a stop off for the train journey he had to make) my dads car had a full Mazda car service history, he filled in the transfer forms (he could not come with us) we exchanged the car etc with the guy and it was as simple as that, we got more money selling it ourselves and it was very straight forward.
Old Jul 2nd 2022, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

With that done, I will be time to figure out what I have to pay off and then move to the car and insurance thing. I'll check out Aviva.
Also try NFU Mutual for car insurance: https://www.nfumutual.co.uk/insuranc...car-insurance/
Old Jul 3rd 2022, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Reading your posts as we plan to move back to Scotland in 2024. Re: driving license. We both have our old pink paper licenses. Do we send them in and get the new plastic card ones, or will we need to resit a test? We last lived in the UK in 2000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.