Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Buying and insuring a car in UK with US licence?

Buying and insuring a car in UK with US licence?

Old Dec 19th 2017, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Lis123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying and insuring a car in UK with US licence?

Thanks QUILTMAN, for your helpful comment. (Too long to quote).
I am a British citizen, but it sounds like I need to re-establish an address on paper, even though I have one physically.

I like the idea of doing an immediate SORN until I get a paper address.
But I will look into your 2 penneth Re my friend, *she*, and see if I make that work too.
I hadn't thought about the difference between "owner" and "keeper" Fab idea.
Cheers.

Any more stories welcome please on individuals who have actually done this; insurance companies who will play along etc please.
Assuming it's still hot/visible as thread has been moved and I only have 24hrs.
Thanks!

Last edited by Lis123; Dec 19th 2017 at 7:57 am.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 9:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lis123
Any more stories welcome please on individuals who have actually done this; insurance companies who will play along etc please.
Assuming it's still hot/visible as thread has been moved and I only have 24hrs.
Thanks!
Get on the phone to an insurance broker. They'll set it up for you at no charge to yourself.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Get on the phone to an insurance broker. They'll set it up for you at no charge to yourself.
Thanks
Old Dec 19th 2017, 11:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Good luck for today.

Please come back and let us know how you get on trying to get auto insurance as a non UK resident. We get quite a few people enquiring about this...so your experience would be useful to others.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Good luck for today.

Please come back and let us know how you get on trying to get auto insurance as a non UK resident. We get quite a few people enquiring about this...so your experience would be useful to others.
Thankyou!
I got a quote from Aviva for £1400 😂
Then I went to comparethemarket.co.uk and found £600-800.
It did allow me to input International Drivers License.
Main issue is transference of NCD, as we don't have one in the US.

Am likely going to SORN it until I can get back and see if I can find my UK DL.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 3:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou!
I got a quote from Aviva for £1400 😂
Then I went to comparethemarket.co.uk and found £600-800.
It did allow me to input International Drivers License.
Main issue is transference of NCD, as we don't have one in the US.

Am likely going to SORN it until I can get back and see if I can find my UK DL.
Get a letter from your US insurer stating how long you've been insured and listing any claims that you've made on the policy. Aviva (and no doubt others) will accept that as equivalent to an NCD.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

mstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Get a letter from your US insurer stating how long you've been insured and listing any claims that you've made on the policy. Aviva (and no doubt others) will accept that as equivalent to an NCD.
Already did thanks. Aviva were expensive.

Appreciate the advice...more looking for people who have solved the equation and can share their personal experiences.
Thanks
Old Dec 21st 2017, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
FWIW here's my two pennorth....
1.You will struggle to get insurance if not currently resident in UK - good luck in finding it.
2. Once a vehicle has been SORN'd then you do not need insurance OR a current MOT so long as it is on private land.
3. I would not risk split insurance whilst you are not resident unless you find a VERY accomodating insurance company as it can cause problems. It is very difficult to be a named driver on a UK policy if you are not resident and your friend could be accused of "fronting" the insurance and it being declared invalid if there is an accident.
My suggestion is:
Agree to buy the vehicle but have the seller bring it to your premises, park it on private ground THEN do the official sale. The paperwork can then be submitted to the DVLA declaring SORN immediately. When you come back to UK and can declare residence then you can apply for insurance in your name at your UK address. Naturally the vehicle will need MOT and TAX before you can drive it on a public road. Oh, unless the MOT centre come and collect the vehicle using their trade plates, then you MUST have insurance to drive it to a pre-booked appointment at the MOT centre. You can buy daily insurance for precisely this function - just google "do I need insurance to drive for MOT"
alternatively, buy the vehicle and get your friend to tax and insure it then sort out getting you insured when you get back to UK in January and have your UK licence.( The sale invoice will show you to be the buyer (new owner) but the name on the new V5 can be your friend as the registered keeper) He can then get a new MOT if needed since the garages DVLA link will show him as the registered keeper.
The difficulties arise because in UK the DRIVER is insured whereas in most countries it's the VEHICLE that's insured and anyone can drive with your permission.
Agree with all the above.
Having the seller deliver the car has multiple advantages.

And if you are 50 years old or older then Age UK (www.ageuk.org.uk) is a good resource for insurance. They may not be used to expats but they are used to older people who take up driving again after years of not having their own car.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

mstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud ofmstiggiewinkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Agree with all the above.
Having the seller deliver the car has multiple advantages.

And if you are 50 years old or older then Age UK (www.ageuk.org.uk) is a good resource for insurance. They may not be used to expats but they are used to older people who take up driving again after years of not having their own car.