Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Buying a house in UK from abroad

Wikiposts

Buying a house in UK from abroad

Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying a house in UK from abroad

Hi All,

Due to a change in circumstances (and feelings about going back to the UK), my family and I plan to return to the UK at some point over the next few years (instead of this summer), but we would like to buy a house now while the prices are still low.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on mortgages? or if you have done something similar and have any advice, it would be greatfully received.

thanks
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a house in UK from abroad

would not do personally having got used to NZ way of marketing where you are swamped with Pics UK sales particualrs are appalling and you wonder what they are not showing! also the UK is not out of the recession yet! rumours are mortgages are going to get tighter in 2010 so house prices are likely to drop further. It does depend though if you are looking for a home to move to or an investment
Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Honest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of lightHonest_H is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by janeyk
would not do personally having got used to NZ way of marketing where you are swamped with Pics UK sales particualrs are appalling and you wonder what they are not showing! also the UK is not out of the recession yet! rumours are mortgages are going to get tighter in 2010 so house prices are likely to drop further. It does depend though if you are looking for a home to move to or an investment
thanks for the reply.

We'd be buying for investment and to move to eventually. I'm not bothered if its rented out or not, its just to make sure we can get back on the property ladder before prices go up.

Also, we'd be moving back to my home town in Nothern Ireland, my sister and good friends will be helping out with viewings etc. I know the place very well, so its not like buying something with my eyes shut.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:42 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Honest_H
thanks for the reply.

We'd be buying for investment and to move to eventually. I'm not bothered if its rented out or not, its just to make sure we can get back on the property ladder before prices go up.

Also, we'd be moving back to my home town in Nothern Ireland, my sister and good friends will be helping out with viewings etc. I know the place very well, so its not like buying something with my eyes shut.
I hear what you are saying, but you can't beat 'being there' yourself to view.

We researched via internet whilst overseas, but returned to UK for 2 weeks and did loads of viewings. The one we bought was viewed on the last day of our trip, and it was the 'feel' of the place and its position/location which clinched it.

Over the 2 weeks we saw some which looked great on the net, but very average in reality. Also, estate agents (bless there rotten cotton socks) also have up to date info on houses coming up and those not yet put onto the net.

Even having good friends and relatives view on your behalf, is a great responsibility for them, particularly if they make a wroing choice on your behalf.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:22 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew

We researched via internet whilst overseas, but returned to UK for 2 weeks and did loads of viewings. The one we bought was viewed on the last day of our trip, and it was the 'feel' of the place and its position/location which clinched it.

Over the 2 weeks we saw some which looked great on the net, but very average in reality. Also, estate agents (bless there rotten cotton socks) also have up to date info on houses coming up and those not yet put onto the net.

Even having good friends and relatives view on your behalf, is a great responsibility for them, particularly if they make a wroing choice on your behalf.
They say.....(not sure who 'they' are)......but they say proces are going to go down again this year. Who knows though eh but I don't think there's going to be a big bounce back in the market.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

we would not leave the final decision up to them, it would be ours, and of course we'd go over and view the short list! But let me explain that where we are going is a very small town, we know exactly what we want and exactly where, so surely this helps.

Anyway.......

i don't really need advice on if its a good thing to do or not, What I need is mortgage advice, so if you have knowledge of this I'd appreciate the help.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:41 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

we would not leave the final decision up to them, it would be ours, and of course we'd go over and view the short list! But let me explain that where we are going is a very small town, we know exactly what we want and exactly where, so surely this helps.

Anyway.......

i don't really need advice on if its a good thing to do or not, What I need is mortgage advice, so if you have knowledge of this I'd appreciate the help.
Usually threads tend to meander around the general 'issue'. If you look you will see I was responding to the comment which you wrote and I quoted.

Also if you look at your original comment you said 'Can anyone point me in the right direction on mortgages? or if you have done something similar and have any advice, it would be greatfully received.'

It may not have been intended as such, but I find your response curt, when I was trying to help.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Usually threads tend to meander around the general 'issue'. If you look you will see I was responding to the comment which you wrote and I quoted.

Also if you look at your original comment you said 'Can anyone point me in the right direction on mortgages? or if you have done something similar and have any advice, it would be greatfully received.'

It may not have been intended as such, but I find your response curt, when I was trying to help.
oh gosh, I just read the message again and I apologise, I didn't mean to come across like that!

I just meant that we have made the decision to buy, and have discussed the ins and outs of doing this, its just the next bit that I need info on.

I'm so sorry
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:16 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

oh gosh, I just read the message again and I apologise, I didn't mean to come across like that!

I just meant that we have made the decision to buy, and have discussed the ins and outs of doing this, its just the next bit that I need info on.

I'm so sorry
No offence. It was just me, being grumpy, as usual!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:59 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PhilipTapper
Hi my name is Phillip
This seems like an advert !!!!! Never posted before, asking to be PM'ed, please. Get outta here !!!!

Last edited by meauxna; Feb 1st 2010 at 10:14 am. Reason: quoted ad removed
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:02 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by pgtips
This seems like an advert !!!!! Never posted before, asking to be PM'ed, please. Get outta here !!!!
And not particularly inspiring either, or professionally done. Wouldn't get my vote
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:59 am
Banned

PhilipTapper is an unknown quantity at this point

hey victor meldrew and pgtips please don't tell me what to do

i am only offering advice or suggestion for anyone that want move back to UK

if they wanna contact me at this forum it has private mail

i am sorry for i put on here OK
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:09 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

To put it objectively, the poster would like good advice about mortgages in the UK. I presume she will be putting a fair bit of money into her investment and will want to make sure she gets her mortgage right.

She will want to be advised by someone who she feels is professional, experienced and articulate enough to be able to understand her requirements and be able to communicate the possibilities to her effectively and clearly.

Both of your posts appear basic in language and approach, even using 'text speak' to communicate your information.

It puts across an image of someone who is either not comfortable with the English language (non English speaker?) or someone who is quite young. It is not professional in approach, and to me, not very reassuring.

Thats how I see it, looking at it objectively.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 2:12 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Dah !! You have not even made enough post yet to recieve pm's. OOps one more post and you will be able to recieve them. Look I am helping you along
Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:13 am
Just Joined

baldyfrank is an unknown quantity at this point

hei.Philip Tapper. read my posts on separate thread and you will see my wife and I intend moving back to UK in 2011, from Norway.
I am 63,Linda 56.
We do not know yet whether to buy or rent instead to protect our capital, as I will not be working when I return,and soon to get my state pension in 2012.
We came from Redditch, but will hopefully return to Bromsgrove.
I would certainly appreciate any advice on accommodation and also moving our stuff back, storage etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.