Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

buying a house sight unseen. !!!!

buying a house sight unseen. !!!!

Old May 2nd 2018, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default buying a house sight unseen. !!!!

Would you buy a house sight unseen, subject to survey and inspection? The reason I ask is, we know the area where we want to retire to, and we have visited and looked at other houses in the area. A new one has come on the market that ticks a lot of boxes and is much better value than what we've viewed in the past. Problem is, we are still here in the states and not planning to visit until June. The gut feeling is that it will be snapped up before then. Dilemma!!
Old May 2nd 2018, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: buying a house sight unseen. !!!!

We have three times in our life rented a house sight unseen, but I don’t think we could bring ourselves to buy a house without seeing it.
Old May 2nd 2018, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I've been talked out of it. May be able to view early June if it's still on the market. Temptation got the better of me.
Old May 2nd 2018, 6:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I've been talked out of it. May be able to view early June if it's still on the market. Temptation got the better of me.
I think it'd only work if you had someone who knew you really well, and whom you trusted, to go and inspect the property on your behalf. It's amazing how some properties look immaculate in the marketing photos, but fall well short on personal inspection! I hope it's still there in June, as I know how difficult it is to see a property that looks like it would be perfect but you're unable to view it. I'm having the same trouble with my property search in Oz.
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW no way.
How will you know you like the area, the people, the layout, the traffic, the distance to shops.....No.
Old May 3rd 2018, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Benson55
WOW no way.
How will you know you like the area, the people, the layout, the traffic, the distance to shops.....No.
Know all those to a certain degree,as we have decided on the area. We're on several agents list and have viewed properties in the area. At present we're back in the USA and, fingers crossed, about to close on a business sale. This property was listed today and by far ticks more boxes and value of what we have viewed previously.

Sorely tempted, but common sense rules, we need to view and get a 'feel' for the house to see if it's for us. Hopefully it's still available when we visit in June.

Thanks for the reply.
Old May 3rd 2018, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m in the process of buying a house sight unseen.
I know the area and it fits almost all my criteria - flat site, 10 minute level walk to train station, close to the coastal path, private, south-facing garden with no possibility of anybody building at the rear, etc.
Finding a good surveyor is very important. I’d had an offer for another house accepted in January but pulled out when the survey showed it had a serious damp problem. Actually, the survey report itself was so littered with disclaimers as to be virtually useless but the surveyor I use likes to talk to the client on the phone as well and that’s how I discovered the full extent of the damp problem.
I also have a brother who lives locally and was able to visit the house for me.
Most importantly, though, I’m not that bothered what the house looks like. That can always be changed.
In fact, it’s quite hideous. But the location and position are excellent and it’s priced low enough - £235,000 - to allow scope for major improvements.
Old May 3rd 2018, 8:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We purchased the house we are living in now sight unseen, except for photographs. We were still living in London when it came on the market. First time we saw it was about three months after it became ours. Lived in it for 11 years now and certainly consider it to be a very good buy.
Old May 6th 2018, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

Last year I purchased a flat unseen. My Daughter took a look, showed me 40 pictures. Badly needed some modernization. I decided to go for it and put an offer in which was accepted. 10 days after completion upstairs bathroom leaked over a weekend occupants wer away and our bathroom ceiling collapsed. Result was new ceilings needed in bathroom kitchen and bedroom, new bathroom as ceiling had knocked our old shower off the wall which crashed into our bath, all new floors as water damage everywhere. So just left me to redo kitchen.... All taken care of by the property company insurance. I still haven't seen it but have enjoyed remodernising it from afar ... My son now lives there. Doubled in value in one year as had it valued last month.

Last edited by Twigstar; May 6th 2018 at 11:33 am. Reason: missed word
Old May 6th 2018, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

In some ways I think it’s actually less stressful buying a house sight unseen.
Because I’ve never been in it, I’m not in love with it so if the sale falls through for some reason, I won’t be devastated.
OK I’ll have paid for a survey and incurred some solicitor’s fees but I’m not emotionally invested, if you know what I mean.

I definitely wouldn’t do it, though, unless I had somebody I trusted to go and look at it.
Old May 6th 2018, 9:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's amazing how some properties look immaculate in the marketing photos, but fall well short on personal inspection!
When we were looking to buy here, in readiness for the house hunt trip we had a spreadsheet including pics, details, price, location of the places we were interested in. We kept in touch with our chosen realtor, over about 4 months, with him giving opinions and obviously we took some off as they sold and added others as they became available.

We had a clear favourite which we gave a nickname too. It was terrible.

From those we'd seen we narrowed it down to two (so far) on our second day and as we were leaving the second, there was a for sale notice on the other side of the street. A house not yet listed.
That was the one we bought a few hours later.
Old May 12th 2018, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a symptom of the Anglo-american obsession with property ownership !
Old May 13th 2018, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

you could be right there, do you favour renting instead?
Old May 13th 2018, 11:17 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Would you buy a house sight unseen, subject to survey and inspection? The reason I ask is, we know the area where we want to retire to, and we have visited and looked at other houses in the area. A new one has come on the market that ticks a lot of boxes and is much better value than what we've viewed in the past. Problem is, we are still here in the states and not planning to visit until June. The gut feeling is that it will be snapped up before then. Dilemma!!
How much does the property cost? May I ask if the place is in the north or south of the UK?
Old May 13th 2018, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I rent and see no sense in owning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.