Reload this Page >

Buying a car in UK without permanent address

Buying a car in UK without permanent address

Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

patvis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Buying a car in UK without permanent address

Hi There,

Soon I will be moving to Liverpool, UK from Netherlands. I will have temporary apartment for first month and then I will be finding a house to rent.

However, I was thinking to buy a used car immediately after arriving in Liverpool, say within a week or so. I am doubtful little bit here, is it possible to register a car for tax and have car insurance with my temporary address?

Or do I need permanent address with utility bills on my name to buy a car?

Please help me out.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

RichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud ofRichardP has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buying a car in UK without permanent address

Originally Posted by patvis
Hi There,

Soon I will be moving to Liverpool, UK from Netherlands. I will have temporary apartment for first month and then I will be finding a house to rent.

However, I was thinking to buy a used car immediately after arriving in Liverpool, say within a week or so. I am doubtful little bit here, is it possible to register a car for tax and have car insurance with my temporary address?

Or do I need permanent address with utility bills on my name to buy a car?

Please help me out.
I am not certain about such things but will and give you a guide.

Will you be paying for the car in one go, ( not taking out hire purchase), if so then i cannot see a problem, you will hand over the money, they will take your address that you are living in and that will be that----BUT ----- as soon as you buy your house you must inform the D.V.L.A. (car tax people) of your new address, also inform your insurance company.

When i first moved here to France, i bought a car, paid cash for it, had it insured,and drove off all in a few hours, and i wasn't living in my house at the time.

All you have to remember is, the person you are buying the car from ---WANTS --- to sell that car, they will help all they can in order to get a sale.--I hope this helps