Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Buying Car Insurance Online?

Buying Car Insurance Online?

Old Mar 27th 2009, 11:28 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying Car Insurance Online?

I am about to buy a cheapo runabout car on ebay in UK just until OH gets a job and then we'll buy a decent car.
I have been looking online for a decent insurance quote which I have found.
Here's the question... can my daughter pay for it online with her credit card, or does it have to be the policy holders card that pays it? I obvioulsy dont want to buy it until i have the keys for the car, but not sure how to go about insurance as i am still in Sydney.
I remember last year that some places wouldnt accept my Aussie card to pay for things online. If this is the case and they dont allow my daughter to pay it, it wont have any insurance until i arrive next Monday...

Any ideas?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:08 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buying Car Insurance Online?

Many moons ago, my mum paid my car insurance for me, so i dont thing the name on the card is the issue. You may have a problem with the card being registered to a differnet address than the car is registered to though.

Having had expereince of purchasing LOTS of stuff online, each company's rules vary, and you probably won't know until you try. Sorry! Useless answer!

You can get quotes for cars without a registration plate number, so if you know what make model year of car you are going to get you can shop for quotes that way. And most companies will (if you ask them) not start the insurance the day you are asking for the quote, but may hold it a week or so provided you pay then and there (or at least set up a direct debit from your bank account)
Old Mar 28th 2009, 12:28 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
Many moons ago, my mum paid my car insurance for me, so i dont thing the name on the card is the issue. You may have a problem with the card being registered to a differnet address than the car is registered to though.

Having had expereince of purchasing LOTS of stuff online, each company's rules vary, and you probably won't know until you try. Sorry! Useless answer!

You can get quotes for cars without a registration plate number, so if you know what make model year of car you are going to get you can shop for quotes that way. And most companies will (if you ask them) not start the insurance the day you are asking for the quote, but may hold it a week or so provided you pay then and there (or at least set up a direct debit from your bank account)
Well when my son in law goes to pay for the car tomorrow, i have told him to register it at their address anyway as we dont have a perm home yet obviously, so that wont be a problem.
I have already got a quote that i want to accept and have all the cars details, just need to keep fingers crossed that they will allow my daughters card to pay for it, otherwise the car will have to stay at the sellers address till i get there
Old Mar 28th 2009, 1:07 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

If your daughter or SIL have their own fully comp insurance they will be covered to drive the car on thrid party only (accident cover for the other party if they had an accident in it), so they could take it back to their house for you.

Also, if you have paid for the vehicle and technically own it, the previous owner will not have insurance on it anymore, so it would be at risk staying there anyway wouldnt it? Unless we are talking about a dealership with locked gates etc?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 7:59 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Credit cards are usually good anywhere. I've used mine in Canada, the States, the UK, France and many other places in Europe.

Bev
Old Mar 29th 2009, 9:32 pm
I don't give a damn

Thanks Bev and Chrissy

Prfoblem is solved now. When my SIL went to py for it, the guy kindly offered to drive it back to their house for me!!
So i can just sort it all out when i get there.

Bev. I have had problems in the past trying to use my Aussie crdit card to purchase things in the UK. It wouldnt let me buy a laptop, or set up a dongle account prior to my last trip back a year ago.