Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Butlins Holiday Camp Mosney

Wikiposts

Butlins Holiday Camp Mosney

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Butlins Holiday Camp Mosney

This is certainly off topic but may be of interest to members who like me have fond memories of childhood holidays at Butlins holiday camps.

It is a little known fact that, although the majority of Butlins camps have closed and the remaining open ones have changed almost beyond recognition for the most part, there is still one of Sir Billy Butlins original camps left largely intact (structurally) in Mosney, East Ireland.

This camp closed as a Butlins in the 1980s, and is now a detention centre for asylum seekers. However the buildings and other camp features have been very well maintained over the years and still look remarkably similar to how they did when the camp was open as Butlins.

I am in the early stages of starting a campaign with some of my fellow Butlins fanatics to have the Mosney site heritage listed and protected from any future development.

I believe after fairly extensive research, that the Mosney camp is the last remaining large scale traditional British holiday camp of this type which is still preserved much as it was as far back as the 1950s.

As such, I believe this site has a special unique heritage value for the people of Great Britain (and us expats of course too), and should be protected against any future redevelopment.

If you agree, please sign this new petition I have created.
http://www.petitiononline.com/mosney/petition.html

You do not need to 'sign up' or 'join' anything in order to sign the petition, nor will you need to view lots of annoying ads. It only takes 2 minutes to read it and sign if you agree. No personal details will be displayed for others to see either.

Thank you.

Last edited by backagen; Jun 23rd 2009 at 6:49 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:16 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Butlins Holiday Camp Mosney

Originally Posted by backagen
This is certainly off topic but may be of interest to members who like me have fond memories of childhood holidays at Butlins holiday camps.

It is a little known fact that, although the majority of Butlins camps have closed and the remaining open ones have changed almost beyond recognition for the most part, there is still one of Sir Billy Butlins original camps left largely intact (structurally) in Mosney, East Ireland.

This camp closed as a Butlins in the 1980s, and is now a detention centre for asylum seekers. However the buildings and other camp features have been very well maintained over the years and still look remarkably similar to how they did when the camp was open as Butlins.

I am in the early stages of starting a campaign with some of my fellow Butlins fanatics to have the Mosney site heritage listed and protected from any future development.

I believe after fairly extensive research, that the Mosney camp is the last remaining large scale traditional British holiday camp of this type which is still preserved much as it was as far back as the 1950s.

As such, I believe this site has a special unique heritage value for the people of Great Britain (and us expats of course too), and should be protected against any future redevelopment.

If you agree, please sign this new petition I have created.
http://www.petitiononline.com/mosney/petition.html

You do not need to 'sign up' or 'join' anything in order to sign the petition, nor will you need to view lots of annoying ads. It only takes 2 minutes to read it and sign if you agree. No personal details will be displayed for others to see either.

Thank you.
I have many fond memories of Butlin's - after years of roughing it at camp sites, Butlin's seemed like the height of luxury to us kids. I also used to work at Butlin's every Easter as a student. They used to open up the camps pre-season to school groups (sort of a sports/activity camp). I used to teach trampolining, swimming, abseiling, orienteering, etc. It allowed them to get everything up and running before the real customers turned up - and gave employment opportunities to us hard-up students!