British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Burton on Trent? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/burton-trent-524874/)

sdunx Mar 27th 2008 12:00 pm

Re: Burton on Trent?

Originally Posted by TaraC (Post 6119807)
I have the opportunity to do my dissertation project in Burton on Trent. The project and company are great, but I'm very nervous about the town given my first impressions (which could just have been because I was at the station and the hospital). Does anyone know anything about the area? Is it pretty safe for me to live in by myself, are there areas that aren't quite as depressing as the ones I saw today, etc? I would probably have to be there for a minimum of three months, with the potential for another six to nine months after that, so I would like to be able to live somewhere relatively nice and safe while I'm there.

If I didn't live in Burton, does anyone know of a place nearby that would be nice and safe for a single person to live in and travel home to? I wouldn't have a car, so I need somewhere on a decent bus/train line.

Any observations would be great. I got a real sick feeling in my stomach on the way back home tonight. I'm also nervous that if I have to live somewhere I'm not happy with for four or five months I'm going to end up giving up my dream of coming home just because where I'm at will depress me too much, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your help.

Tara

My Great Gran who lived with us when I was a child was from Walton on Trent, I stayed there a few months ago to research my grans history and found the people really friendly (spent most of my time in the pub however - as usual), seemed like a good place to live.

Hannahlou Mar 28th 2008 1:41 am

Re: Burton on Trent?

Originally Posted by TaraC (Post 6119807)
I have the opportunity to do my dissertation project in Burton on Trent. The project and company are great, but I'm very nervous about the town given my first impressions (which could just have been because I was at the station and the hospital). Does anyone know anything about the area? Is it pretty safe for me to live in by myself, are there areas that aren't quite as depressing as the ones I saw today, etc? I would probably have to be there for a minimum of three months, with the potential for another six to nine months after that, so I would like to be able to live somewhere relatively nice and safe while I'm there.

If I didn't live in Burton, does anyone know of a place nearby that would be nice and safe for a single person to live in and travel home to? I wouldn't have a car, so I need somewhere on a decent bus/train line.

Any observations would be great. I got a real sick feeling in my stomach on the way back home tonight. I'm also nervous that if I have to live somewhere I'm not happy with for four or five months I'm going to end up giving up my dream of coming home just because where I'm at will depress me too much, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your help.

Tara

I dont live far from there either. You will be fine, like someone already mentioned there are some lovely areas around there. I wouldn't panick about it you will be fine. Honest