Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

BUILDING WORK IN THE UK RIGHT NOW?

Wikiposts

BUILDING WORK IN THE UK RIGHT NOW?

Old Mar 15th 2012, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default BUILDING WORK IN THE UK RIGHT NOW?

Hi Guys

We are looking to return to the UK after only 8 months in Perth sad I know.

But my OH just cannot get to grips with the work side of things over here and the heat in the summer being a plasterer he his outside most of time so has found it really difficult to contend with.

I just wanted to get some advice as to how the building situation in his now back home because when we left it was pretty dire.

I would really welcome your thoughts.

Many thanks

Debbie
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BUILDING WORK IN THE UK RIGHT NOW?

I can empathise with that. I got a bit of heatstroke in NorCal when I was over there. Not as consistently hot as where you are!

Where are you headed back here? I would say there are so many regional factors you need to breath life into the old network!
There are projects going on where I am (redevelopment and newbuild)
Or are you after smaller sole trader style home improvements?
That's where word of mouth is king and established guys seem to be doing OK.

The NewBuy scheme has only just launched so if it's going to trigger a building spree it will be a little while to kick in.

Good luck.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BUILDING WORK IN THE UK RIGHT NOW?

Originally Posted by debs1966
Hi Guys

We are looking to return to the UK after only 8 months in Perth sad I know.

But my OH just cannot get to grips with the work side of things over here and the heat in the summer being a plasterer he his outside most of time so has found it really difficult to contend with.

I just wanted to get some advice as to how the building situation in his now back home because when we left it was pretty dire.

I would really welcome your thoughts.

Many thanks

Debbie
Hi Debbie

We lived in Perth and the Summers are long and hot if you work outside....Autumn is on its way and it is much cooler but then a lot of rain in Winter so work slows down if your in the building trade.....My Nephew is a plasterer in the North West, he is busy, works for the local council but also has lots of private work which he tends to do evenings and weekends, my brother is in the building trade and as from next week they are on 7 days a week and long hours, I suppose it all depends on which part of the country (like most countries it depends on the areas you live in) your thinking of moving back to. Do you both enjoy being in Perth? if so would you think of changing your line of work if you really want to stay? Take care all the best