building up credit rating

Old Oct 9th 2014, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: building up credit rating

Originally Posted by dunroving
My experience was that while my overseas and prior UK NCB (about 25 years' claim-free driving) was taken into consideration, my premium was higher for a couple of years because of no recent driving experience in the UK.

In other words, as an overseas driver, I was deemed to be a greater danger on the roads until I got used to driving on the left and using roundabouts.
Sounds quite reasonable to me.

My city planners have decided to try roundabouts in some areas in Toronto. So how do they do that? Well first build roundabout and then put stop signs on the east west road, and no stop sign on the north south road
Old Oct 10th 2014, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Janelle is an unknown quantity at this point

My impression is that things such as no claims, credit histories, bank accounts, etc all transfer from Canada and Oz a little more easily than they do from the US. OP is moving from the US to UK.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting Janelle. One on line quote did say that all no claims had to be earned in UK. But quote partner got was way less than we pay in Toronto. Nice to have one thing that will be cheaper
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

travelpro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
If you have an Amex you can actually change that to a UK Amex once you get back without having to go through the UK credit stuff as its based on your current Amex account. They dont give you a high credit line but its enough to start building up your UK credit.
This is great advice. I opened up an Amex in Canada for this very reason. After over 6 years away my credit file will be as if I never lived there. So a great way to reestablish. I've found a lot of places don't take it in Canada. Is this the same in UK?
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

TempestD is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Wombat7;11415491]Moving back to UK after 34 years out of country. Have opened HSBC account and have a UK a HSBC credit card. All done from Canada.

How did you go about setting up the account from within Canada? I am trying to do that but they want a prove of address in the UK, which i will not be able to provide until after the move..