Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Budgeting for your move when you can't get quotes

Budgeting for your move when you can't get quotes

Old Jul 12th 2022, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Budgeting for your move when you can't get quotes

Hello all, I've been around the world a bit with advice from these forums but next year, we're going home!

I'm trying to work out our budgets but it's getting difficult because I can't get quotes, just to get an idea of what it would it cost to, for example, insure our contents in our new home, tax and insure the new car, utilities and the various insurances. Everything I try seems to need our address or the car registration and obviously we don't have either.

How would I go about finding some figures to work with, we're moving to Scotland.

Also, how can we investigate the NHS for wait times and service etc in our new area?

All pointers greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 12th 2022, 2:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budgeting for your move when you can't get quotes

There's not really any way of getting prices without knowing what you're trying to get prices for. For example, car tax could be between £0 and £2000+, depending on the model. Ditto car insurance, which will be very much dependent on the model and the address it's kept at. Home insurance will vary enormously, again depending on the property and location plus various other factors. Mine is a small fortune, but we live in a very large listed property with business use, so will be paying a heck of a lot more than somebody who lives in a 2 bed modern flat.

I guess all you can do is try and get ideas of where you'll be living and what kind of car you'll be buying, then put those details in to websites like Confused.com/Go Compare etc. Just remember that if the details change, the price will too when you do eventually move, but it might give you an idea at least.
Old Jul 12th 2022, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
Hello all, I've been around the world a bit with advice from these forums but next year, we're going home!

I'm trying to work out our budgets but it's getting difficult because I can't get quotes, just to get an idea of what it would it cost to, for example, insure our contents in our new home, tax and insure the new car, utilities and the various insurances. Everything I try seems to need our address or the car registration and obviously we don't have either.

How would I go about finding some figures to work with, we're moving to Scotland.

Also, how can we investigate the NHS for wait times and service etc in our new area?

Generally speaking, I moved back to the UK from Canada and found insurances and the like far cheaper in the UK. Despite what people say, I have never found the UK the most expensive place in the World to live but that, as previously mentioned, will obviously depend on personal circumstances. A good thing about the UK is that there is generally plenty of competition so my best advice would be to shop around and use the comparison sites as prices will vary dramatically. You may be able to get a good idea of what you may pay for some services by entering hypothetical data into a comparison site but usually you need at least a postcode.
Old Jul 12th 2022, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Stelly is on a distinguished road

When I get things like this I just use the address and postcode of a property I like on Rightmove/similar real estate site. At least it gives you an idea. I also have a basically throw-away email address I use that I don't care if they start spamming with emails about my policy quote. It's handy.
Old Jul 12th 2022, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stelly
When I get things like this I just use the address and postcode of a property I like on Rightmove/similar real estate site. At least it gives you an idea. I also have a basically throw-away email address I use that I don't care if they start spamming with emails about my policy quote. It's handy.
Yes, I agree, it is just a matter of getting creative. The information is all out there somewhere if you know how to get the best out of Google and the like, it is just a matter of tailoring it to suit your requirements and area.
Old Jul 14th 2022, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have family/friends who live in the area you are heading to as that my help with NHS waiting lists as for bills you have to shop around for us car/home insurance is cheaper than when we lived in Aus and has become cheaper over the years, Depending on wheee you have lived overseas here in the UK there are many options for utilities companies and I suppose it will come down to things like are you careful with your usage ie I have always turned things off I don’t use whereas my brothers house is like Blackpool illumination’s lol, also the size of your property will effect bills. Good luck
Old Jul 15th 2022, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stelly
I have the throwaway email address for these things,. I never thought to use an address like that. I've sometimes used my most recent UK address but only if I'm sure it won't generate post. Thank you.
Old Jul 15th 2022, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
Yes, I agree, it is just a matter of getting creative. The information is all out there somewhere if you know how to get the best out of Google and the like, it is just a matter of tailoring it to suit your requirements and area.
I'm fairly creative but I think I just need to think outside the box a little. The car tax was the biggest mind boggler so far. I couldn't follow how it's calculated. Might pass that one to the hubby!

Thanks everyone, I've got some ideas to play with now.
Old Jul 15th 2022, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

I'm fairly creative but I think I just need to think outside the box a little. The car tax was the biggest mind boggler so far. I couldn't follow how it's calculated. Might pass that one to the hubby!

Thanks everyone, I've got some ideas to play with now.
These are the rates. Not the simplest of systems.

Rates of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and private light goods vehicles (publishing.service.gov.uk)
Old Jul 16th 2022, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, I agree, not the simplest system.