Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Budget for returning to the UK

Budget for returning to the UK

Old Aug 19th 2005, 6:29 am
BLC

Default Re: Budget for returning to the UK

Originally Posted by Viking Man
But there are more aspects to a country than just the cost of living. Albania has a very low cost of living, but strangely enough people don't seem to be beating a path to their door.
This is true, mind one needs to know they are not going so far backwards to what they can live with I guess

Best of luck with the move.

B

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:41 am
In the UK

Careybear will become famous soon enough

Indeed!

Thanks for all your replies especially to "Pants" for the links and cost breakdown. That is a big help in estimating costs. Man, is Britain expensive or what?! Well I'll qualify that by saying that the utility bills are about the same as what we pay now in Japan (of course with the exception of petrol which is only 60p a litre here), but I can't believe how much you guys are spending on food! We all eat well for the equivalent of GBP200 a month on food. Looking at used car prices was a shock too! A couple of years ago we got a seven-year-old Toyota Corolla, 35000 miles on the clock, from a dealer with a year parts guarantee and new tyres, for 2000 pounds. The price in the UK seems more like 4000 pounds for that type of vehicle. One saving grace though is public transport which isn't going to cost as much as I thought because of the existence of the wonderful West Midlands Passenger Transport Authority which provides quite good value season tickets.

Well thanks for the information anyway - at least now I know the worst and can budget accordingly! With the cost of living that high it's no wonder the British aren't saving anything and going deeper into debt.
Another property site that i'm addicted to is www.rightmove.co.uk
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:02 am
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Careybear
Another property site that i'm addicted to is www.rightmove.co.uk
Cheers: I also check Rightmove regularly - I have a particular postcode in mind when I move back to the UK, so Rightmove is great for a pinpoint search. But Rightmove is so up to date I think. I have seen the same house listed on there for nearly two years. I can't believe it's still on the market now after so long. Also good is www.fish4homes.co.uk - especially for rental property. It's worth checking both sites.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:19 pm
In the UK

Careybear will become famous soon enough

Cheers: I also check Rightmove regularly - I have a particular postcode in mind when I move back to the UK, so Rightmove is great for a pinpoint search. But Rightmove is so up to date I think. I have seen the same house listed on there for nearly two years. I can't believe it's still on the market now after so long. Also good is www.fish4homes.co.uk - especially for rental property. It's worth checking both sites.

I don't know about that i'm sure it's possible the house could be listed for that long if no one wants it...a house down the street from me was up for sale for about that long and someone finally bought it and fixed it up...thanks for that url as well.

Carey
Old Aug 28th 2005, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pants
Hiya B

I reckon it must be credit...how else do they do it..!!!??

P x

British debt spirals out of control at £1 trillion Aug 24 2005

Western Mail

I get on average 50 pieces of junk mail a week offering loans and credit cards. I thought about appling for all of them, maxing the lot out and disappearing to a beachhouse some where nice.

Flash.