Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

BRP for Returning Resident (UK)

BRP for Returning Resident (UK)

Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRP for Returning Resident

Originally Posted by Kgb23
On the gov.uk website though under “ what a BRP is...?” It states that if you applied for visa to settle in the UK, or to stay in the uk longer than 6 months, etc. and your application was approved you don’t need to apply separately for a BRP ? That if you applied from outside the UK you need to pick it up when you enter the UK within 10 days???? I emailed the post office for info on picking up my brp and they told me to call the uk border force??? It’s all as clear as mud to me at this point! I emailed the home office website and their response was to say ‘ oh it seems your visa is only valid for 6 months you will need to apply again,?? So obviously they didn’t understand that I had entered within the 6 months and now need clarification on whether or not I need a brp and the process for either picking up one or applying to get one if necessary ... I’m trying to figure it all out before the 10 day period passes. Anyway I appreciate all your input, I will update when I hear back or get some sort of clarification . I was hoping the person that posted originally would had updated since I’m in the same position... sigh... oh well... something will work out hopefully soon.
Except you were already settled in the UK. The returning resident visa simply permits you to return to the UK under your previous status which normally would have expired after two years' absence. You are not required to obtain a BRP from an immigration standpoint; you will need one however to prove your immigration status for taking up employment, opening a bank account, renting a property, etc..
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRP for Returning Resident

Listen to BiP. He knows of what he speaks.

You're confused because you're reading immigration rules that don't apply to you. The picking up your BRP within 10 days thing doesn't apply to you. It only applies to people like me, an Australian who applied for a settlement visa to join my Brit spouse.

Forget about the 10 days, it's not relevant to you. The choice whether or not to apply for a BRP is yours. You can stay in the UK without one. But if you want/need to do the things mentioned by BiP, ie take up employment, rent a house, open a bank account, then you'll need one. To get one, use the link provided by BiP.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Kgb23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BRP for Returning Resident (UK)

thanks!!!! i will apply for my BRP then!! I will let you know how it goes!
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 11:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kgb23
thanks!!!! i will apply for my BRP then!! I will let you know how it goes!
Good-o. Don't pay £650 for it though, it's only £229 and they'll put the difference towards the Public Servants Annual Knees-Up*

*I'm lying about the last bit
Old Apr 24th 2018, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Good-o. Don't pay £650 for it though, it's only £229 and they'll put the difference towards the Public Servants Annual Knees-Up*

*I'm lying about the last bit
update & issue
when i came into the uk i told the io i was looking for flat then would be flying nack to the usa to get my belongings. he stamped my passport with a date only not the ilr stamp so im going to usa and will re enter before my 6 mnth visa expires and tell the io im here to live.
i tried booking ntl appt but the earlist would be after my visa vignette expires.
im hoping the io will stamp my passport with ilr so im good to go and wont have any issues.
the home office was useless via emails and the lawyers were all befuddled saying oh this is a tricky case !!! obviously they wanted my money so not sure if they were being honest!
sigh any advice welcome... i will re enter the UK before the 6 month expires and will tell the IO i am returning to live here and hooefully get an ilr stamp!
is there anything else i should do?
thanks so much for your help!
Old Apr 24th 2018, 11:14 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you're back in the UK before your vignette expires. I would also ask the Immigration Officer whether you should receive an ILR stamp or not. Either way you should be applying for your BRP at the earliest opportunity once you are back in the UK otherwise you may face difficulties renting a flat, finding work, etc..
Old May 12th 2018, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Well good news!! I received my BRP yesterday with Settlement with no time limit on it!! I booked a same day premium appointment at Croydon in the end and was approved on May 8th and received my card in the post May 11th!!! When I first applied for the returning resident visa in the USA I didn’t think I would get approved since I was out of the country for more than 2 years, but my case was that because of domestic violence with police reports to back it up... and 2 British kids...I was approved rather quickly in the US and over here also it all went smoothly!!! It might have been helpful if the Home Office told me about the NTL or the next steps I needed to take, then I wouldn’t have had to bother you so much!!!! thanks again for all your help!! So happy to home and legal in the UK!!
Old May 12th 2018, 9:33 am

Always happy to hear a success story - welcome home!
Old Jun 14th 2018, 5:07 am
Just Joined

indianbear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I have heard that it is extremely difficult to get a returning residents visa. How was the experience in your case? Do you mind sharing the experience if it was a straight forward process or if there was much deliberation or any special case with special circumstances?

Thanks