Brits in Oklahoma

Old May 27th 2008, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

nakota is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brits in Oklahoma

Well thank you, that's nice to know!Sausages are one of the hardest things I knew we'd have to figure out.I grew up in a family of butchers,so Im particular about meats as well.I use alot of buffalo,but,as Ive found out,that's an acquired taste to someIt's funny how certain things are adaptable,but teehee....just some aren't the same ever, really.I copied what you suggested,as everything can be helpful!I was spoiled to the pesto that his sis sent,I need more,mmmmm.It's worth it as a treat to pay.Cadburys choc.here is different.And it disappears quickly,I agree teehee.
I do appreciate your reply,that does help.And,whenever theres time for that sausage recipe...Im game!Glad you "discovered" Oklahoma......
Thanks again!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

olebin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have just moved to Oklahoma from the UK, formerly living near Reading, Berks, now living in The Village, Oklahoma City. We arrived a few days ago and are still adjusting and finding our feet. Would be pleased to get in contact with and perhaps meet any other OKC-based Brits - I didn't imagine there would be many at first but finding this thread has restored my confidence that there are a few of us!!

Last edited by olebin; Aug 15th 2008 at 9:40 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:35 pm
C.C
Geordie Lass

C.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really nice

Originally Posted by olebin
Hi, I have just moved to Oklahoma from the UK, formerly living near Reading, Berks, now living in The Village, Oklahoma City. We arrived a few days ago and are still adjusting and finding our feet. Would be pleased to get in contact with and perhaps meet any other OKC-based Brits - I didn't imagine there would be many at first but finding this thread has restored my confidence that there are a few of us!!
Hi there Olebin, welcome to Oklahoma. Im not too far from in Stillwater. I ahve been here five years, and Im formerly from Newcastle. Were are you from in the UK?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

There is a right way and a wrong way to pronounce

Oklahoma

The proper way is:

' Okla . . homa'

(There's a pause between the 'a' and the 'h'.)

See the proof below.
Attached Thumbnails Brits in Oklahoma-ok.jpg  
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

limey1945 is an unknown quantity at this point

For these of us who will never lose the common touch:Sausage rolls, just like that---
1lb ground pork or beef.
1 tsp white pepper (difficult to get out here, but you can get on line)- to suit your taste.
11/4 tsp ground sage.
Dash of salt.
1-2 tbls bread crumbs.
1 package of Pepperridge Farm Flaky pastry sheets- need to search for this, not common over here, but you City folks should be able to find.

Then:
Combine meat and seasonings-
Layout one sheet of pastry, and spoon mixture over the sheet.
Put a second sheet of pastry on top.
Cut into 9-12 pieces,and bake for 20-25mins at 375 deg - til golden brown. Smashing!
(Ok, not rolls, but patties - my US wife is still on the learning curve.Currently working on Cornish Pasties!)
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:58 am
C.C
Geordie Lass

C.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really niceC.C is just really nice

Originally Posted by limey1945
For these of us who will never lose the common touch:Sausage rolls, just like that---
1lb ground pork or beef.
1 tsp white pepper (difficult to get out here, but you can get on line)- to suit your taste.
11/4 tsp ground sage.
Dash of salt.
1-2 tbls bread crumbs.
1 package of Pepperridge Farm Flaky pastry sheets- need to search for this, not common over here, but you City folks should be able to find.

Then:
Combine meat and seasonings-
Layout one sheet of pastry, and spoon mixture over the sheet.
Put a second sheet of pastry on top.
Cut into 9-12 pieces,and bake for 20-25mins at 375 deg - til golden brown. Smashing!
(Ok, not rolls, but patties - my US wife is still on the learning curve.Currently working on Cornish Pasties!)
Even if they are common food back home the yanks love them. I made sausage rolls to take to a pot luck reception (and I made a bunch of them) they were all gone by the time I had taken my coat off. My hubby was well pissed off cos he requested them

Anyone ever use www.recipezaar.com I use it a lot for recipes.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by C.C
Hi there Olebin, welcome to Oklahoma. Im not too far from in Stillwater. I ahve been here five years, and Im formerly from Newcastle. Were are you from in the UK?
Hi Geordie Lass, thanks for your reply. I am from Portsmouth originally and have also lived in Bristol, London and Reading. However I also worked in Berwick-upon-Tweed for a year and spent quite a bit of time in Newcastle (the closest place for a good night out!) and all the kids in the school I taught in supported The Toon so that rubbed off on me a bit... Newcastle is certainly a great city. Whereabouts is Stillwater? Why did you move to OKC?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Geordie Lass, thanks for your reply. I am from Portsmouth originally and have also lived in Bristol, London and Reading. However I also worked in Berwick-upon-Tweed for a year and spent quite a bit of time in Newcastle (the closest place for a good night out!) and all the kids in the school I taught in supported The Toon so that rubbed off on me a bit... Newcastle is certainly a great city. Whereabouts is Stillwater? Why did you move to OKC?
Where in Bristol???
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:44 am
C.C
Geordie Lass

Hi there Olebin

I love Berwick its very pretty up there. I dont know portsmouth at all Im afraid. As for Stillwater its pretty much the middle of the state but a bit more to the north. We are about 80 miles from OKC and about 90 miles from Tulsa. Stillwater is the home of Oklahoma State Uni or OSU, very much a uni town. Its great if you are a student here and Im not, my Hubby is a professor here. Its very differnet to the Toon. I moved here after meeting my hubby and we married 5 years ago.

What is your story??
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Arizona Wurzel
Where in Bristol???
Where in Bristol ... well I was at university there, so various places really - started off in hall in Stoke Bishop, then moved to Redland (near Chandos Road) and finally in Montpelier. I loved it! Great place. Do you know it?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by C.C
Hi there Olebin

I love Berwick its very pretty up there. I dont know portsmouth at all Im afraid. As for Stillwater its pretty much the middle of the state but a bit more to the north. We are about 80 miles from OKC and about 90 miles from Tulsa. Stillwater is the home of Oklahoma State Uni or OSU, very much a uni town. Its great if you are a student here and Im not, my Hubby is a professor here. Its very differnet to the Toon. I moved here after meeting my hubby and we married 5 years ago.

What is your story??
Hi Geordie Lass, we have just bought a car and were looking at a dealership in Stillwater ... didn't get there in the end I'm afraid. We drove to OKC via Tulsa so I have a sense of what half way in between would be like... it must be even more 'small town America' there! What do the locals think of having a Geordie in their midst? Can they understand you?? I speak with a pretty much straightforward English accent but people have asked me if I am from Scotland or South Africa! We are in a similar situation because my wife has just taken a job as a professor at Oklahoma City University, which is on 23rd Street in OKC. Do you have any kids? Are you working yourself?
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:05 pm
C.C
Geordie Lass

Hi Geordie Lass, we have just bought a car and were looking at a dealership in Stillwater ... didn't get there in the end I'm afraid. We drove to OKC via Tulsa so I have a sense of what half way in between would be like... it must be even more 'small town America' there! What do the locals think of having a Geordie in their midst? Can they understand you?? I speak with a pretty much straightforward English accent but people have asked me if I am from Scotland or South Africa! We are in a similar situation because my wife has just taken a job as a professor at Oklahoma City University, which is on 23rd Street in OKC. Do you have any kids? Are you working yourself?

Hi there Olebin,

No they cant understand me, I have been asked if Im Irish or Scots. The funnniest thing is my friend here in Stillwater is from Bicester and one day she was in a store and the assistant asked were she was from and she then said well say some thing in English........................

I work form home, we have a horse boarding stables so that keeps me busy. Waht about you?? Are you working?? What field is you wife in??

I have two kids both in the UK (son and daughter) and hubby has one daughter that lives here in town. Do you have kids??
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by C.C
Hi there Olebin,

No they cant understand me, I have been asked if Im Irish or Scots. The funnniest thing is my friend here in Stillwater is from Bicester and one day she was in a store and the assistant asked were she was from and she then said well say some thing in English........................

I work form home, we have a horse boarding stables so that keeps me busy. Waht about you?? Are you working?? What field is you wife in??

I have two kids both in the UK (son and daughter) and hubby has one daughter that lives here in town. Do you have kids??
The horses sound nice! My wife and I are both originally musicians. Abigail is now Professor of Library Science and Music Librarian at OCU. She's been finding the job quite tough so far but I think things are settling a little now. What field is your husband in? I used to work for LCM (London College of Music) Exams as Chief Examiner in Music; at the moment I'm not really working while we set up here, but I have a contract to do some consultancy for LCM Exams about one day a week, and I also hope to continue to examine (we have some centres in North America as well as throughout the world). In due course I hope to develop more work as a musician, composer, teacher, examiner, consultant etc. I have no idea how that's going to work here! We have no kids, just a dog, a whippet called Gulliver.

I still feel quite self-conscious about my English accent and English mode of speaking. If I say 'garage' in the English way I am aware that it sounds very odd, but if I say it in the American way it feels odd to me, so I'm still not quite sure what to do!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:11 am
C.C
Geordie Lass

The horses sound nice! My wife and I are both originally musicians. Abigail is now Professor of Library Science and Music Librarian at OCU. She's been finding the job quite tough so far but I think things are settling a little now. What field is your husband in? I used to work for LCM (London College of Music) Exams as Chief Examiner in Music; at the moment I'm not really working while we set up here, but I have a contract to do some consultancy for LCM Exams about one day a week, and I also hope to continue to examine (we have some centres in North America as well as throughout the world). In due course I hope to develop more work as a musician, composer, teacher, examiner, consultant etc. I have no idea how that's going to work here! We have no kids, just a dog, a whippet called Gulliver.

I still feel quite self-conscious about my English accent and English mode of speaking. If I say 'garage' in the English way I am aware that it sounds very odd, but if I say it in the American way it feels odd to me, so I'm still not quite sure what to do!

The horse bussiness is something I had to learn when I got here. I used to be a lab tech for the Blood Service in England so its been a real change for me.

I hope your wife is able to settle in quickly, theres nothing more miserable than being uncomfortable at work. Music is a great element, I love it but I cant play a thing, though Bob did play Tuba in the school band (a long time ago). We love blues music and are planning to go to the Stillwater blues festival next weekend. Its so good to have this kind of thing in town, usually we have to go to the city to hear good blues. Something we havent done for a while. What kind of music do you listen to for pleasure?

Bob is a professor in Animal Science, poultry being his field. It takes him all over the world. Thats how we met in fact.

Im still very aware of my accent, especially when I meet new people, or on the phone. They can never undstand me, though I do tone down the Geordie a bit.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by C.C
The horse bussiness is something I had to learn when I got here. I used to be a lab tech for the Blood Service in England so its been a real change for me.

I hope your wife is able to settle in quickly, theres nothing more miserable than being uncomfortable at work. Music is a great element, I love it but I cant play a thing, though Bob did play Tuba in the school band (a long time ago). We love blues music and are planning to go to the Stillwater blues festival next weekend. Its so good to have this kind of thing in town, usually we have to go to the city to hear good blues. Something we havent done for a while. What kind of music do you listen to for pleasure?

Bob is a professor in Animal Science, poultry being his field. It takes him all over the world. Thats how we met in fact.

Im still very aware of my accent, especially when I meet new people, or on the phone. They can never undstand me, though I do tone down the Geordie a bit.
Well, I suppose at least you knew what the deal was when you got married then! ... or was Bob not living in OK at that time? Abigail and I met in the UK but she was brought up in the US (Texas) and Canada, and her family are all over here so there was always the possibility that we might move to the other side of the Atlantic... the funny thing is that, although I was quite keen on the idea at first, as time went on I became more settled in the UK and when she applied for the job here, I was very much the reluctant one. The moving process was quite traumatic in many ways but we are continuing to settle in and every day brings some kind of step forward, however minor. At least our household goods are finally on their way from New York ... due to arrive later this week, which will be the first time we've seen them for about 3 months!

The blues festival sounds good. I did suggest it to Abigail but I think things are still a bit hectic and unsettled to find the time - although personally I think it might be good for us to do something diverting like that!! I like all kinds of music, particularly classical (Baroque and twentieth century), jazz (esp. bebop) and a lot of pop music including 80s stuff and some more recent artists, particularly female singers. Also bits of Irish folk now and again. Anything really so long as it's high quality!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.